Haas prediction for 2017 | FerrariChat

Haas prediction for 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Jan 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How will Haas do in 2017?

1. better than last year

2. the same as last year

3. worse than last year

4. who is Haas?

5. It's not Ferrari so I don't care

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Just looking at the American team.

One new driver booted from McLaren, one rather frustrated Frenchman.

So how will they do?

2. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I think and I hope they will do better than last year.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Will it still be a copy of the Ferrari? Or with the new rules, they're at it themselves now? If the latter, I really don't know...the car didn't progress at all well last year. I have serious doubts regarding Grosjeans feedback, which basically ranges from ''this car is the best car ever'' to ''this is the worst car ever'' (which varied on a week by week basis). I'm aware that proper technical feedback isn't given publicly on the radio, but it is a worry. The car quite simply not progressing is not based on just this year, as soon as Kimi left Lotus, and Grosjean basically inherited lead driver status, the cars he was lead driver off never progressed will through the season, always going backwards.

Haas last year failed to bring any decent upgrades to the car to sustain speed, got lucky at the USA gp with several high profile retirements (Kimi, Max, Hulkenberg). It failed to address things such as brake issues throughout the season. IF their car will be a complete 1 off design, not based on Ferrari suspension, chassis and/or aero. Their current chief aero guy hasn't got a good track record, having worked for Jaguar (on one of their worst ever cars), briefly at Red Bull before sacked by Newey, HRT (...) and Ferrari, working on their aerodynamically inefficient 2012-2014 cars. Not a good track record...

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    If the Ferrari engine/hybrid power unit is better, they will be better. I'm not holding my breath regarding any podium finishes let alone wins.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's a customer team in only its second year.
    I don't expect miracles.
    They did well last year, beating more established teams, but the learning curve will be harder this year.
    Haas has experienced drivers, but I question their technical team.
    Points are possible, podiums unlikely, and wins out of the question, IMO.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I said they will do the same as last year because the other small teams seem to be a mess. So despite the increased challenge of developing this year's car, I don't think the other teams will leapfrog them.

I think their drivers may implode if things are really rough though as I believe you are eluding to above. A legitimate concern.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agree with everything.

I would only add that they are bringing two brake setups to the first test of 2017 to try to kill that problem immediately.

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Same Ferrari engine as last year and I don't believe they are running the "FRIC" or "HPC" system.....so no changes as to where they finish this year compared to last year.

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's Haas' big desire to buy major parts from Ferrari. While that keeps the cost down, it also excludes them from upgrades as the season progresses; Ferrari aren't in the business of spending many tens of millions in development only to give it away.

They may start out reasonably well enough, but will fade away as the season progresses and the money isn't there for serious development.

Sound familiar?

I just think it funny that he's using the venture to give international exposure to his business of selling machines that make things, when the team itself is so dependent upon having things made for them by someone else.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Haas is the new Sauber

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

They stated that after their huge success in the first races they already were satisfied and they were not very interested in developing the car anymore to switch to 2017 early, so the lack of development was expectable.

Anyway, I expect them to do worse than in 2016, because they now have wind tunnel time limitations that they hadn´t as a new entrant. Also, there are well funded teams that in 2016 were still in a retreat and regroup phase like McLaren and Renault that will beat them easily since the first race.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Haas doesn't have to beg for money and has much better leadership. Not sure I understand the correlation.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Renault appears to be shambles to me.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sauber was bought up last year and is financially stronger but that wasn't my point.

Sauber like Haas starts strong in the season but then neglects to develop the car and falls back to the end of the grid. With Manor gone Sauber becomes the tail light and Haas takes Saubers 2nd to last place.

I love both teams and was hugely disappointed by them last season.

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gotcha. I don't think Haas will stay there though. He's use to winning and I doubt he will be content to just stay in the game long term.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    10 years ?

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed

Branson by a different name

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Honestly I have no idea. There is absolutely a ceiling also with the current regulations. Basically the goal would be to beat Williams, Force India, McLaren, and Toro Rosso IMO and be behind RB, Merc, and Ferrari....presumably behind Renault also once they get their act together.

19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Slightly better than last year.

20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Haas is no idiot, he knew he wasn't going to do fantastically well for a few years,
    and realistically, if at all, but he wanted to give it a shot, like his buddy Penske did
    back in 1974-75.

'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take'. Wayne Gretzky

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Gene Haas said that he would spend $1billion in F1 over 10 years to promote its machine tool company. I suppose that's a commitment.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Haas outperformed rookie teams last year.
    I believe that Hass will still outperform,
    But they will continue to languish near 5th in the constructors championship.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Doesn't seem like enough to be competitive without sponsorship. But I also recall him saying something to the effect that they want to get some good results before they ask others for money. So it could work out.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Somebody said Haas doesn't have a title sponsor. Sure, Haas is its own main sponsor, but that doesn't preclude looking for extra sponsorship.

As for their budget 100M per year put them above the tail Enders like Manor and Sauber. They are looking at a mid-field spot, being after all a customer team like Force India.