Ecclestone forced to step down as CEO | FerrariChat

Ecclestone forced to step down as CEO

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jan 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ...Not sure if it's the wisest choice to force him out.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ecclestone confirms Chase Carey has replaced him as CEO of F1

“I was deposed today,” he told Auto Motor und Sport. “I am simply gone. It's official. I am no longer the leader of the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey.

“My new position is one of those American terms. It's something like an honorary president. I have this title now, even though I don't know what it means.”

3. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    At least they had the balls to do it.

Interesting times.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ecclestone sounds a little ticked. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Update: Ross Brawn apparently in for a new role as well...if it's technical advisor regarding future F1 rules this is an incredibly good move!

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Great news! He can go back to painting pictures of soup cans.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Bernie who? :)

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Like he would go voluntarily? You don't think they tired to convince him?

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    " Yeah, Yeah sure Bernie, we'll keep ya on board as a consultant till 2020......Whats that?.....the deal went through!!!......Hey-a Bernie,......get the **** outtahere!!!!

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    #10 tifoso2728, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Now he and Ron Dennis can buy Manor.

But would be be EccRon or RonEcc. That's the problem. :)

12. F22G

F22G Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    "I still have many friends in Formula 1, and I still have enough money to afford to attend a race.”

Really now...

13. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Some people age gracefully, others....

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    As far as his politics and behind the back deals, that's one thing.

But I encourage you all to read Sid Watkins' book, without Bernie,
    F1 would be nowhere near as safe as it is now, there is no doubt
    we would be losing a driver or two every year or two.

I don't like the technical rules that have jacked the costs thru the
    roof so no privateers can compete, but his stance and money spent
    on safety is really incredible.

Read Watkins' book, I read it on a kindle app.

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    <DOUBLE HIGH FIVE>

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    If Ecclestone is seriously "ticked", then all he has to do is simply walk away immediately and offer Liberty no further help whatsoever with their takeover of the sport - I'm sure there are still plenty of things that Bernie hasn't told Liberty about F1 yet! ;)

Perhaps he might swoop in to buy Manor F1 just to be thorn in Liberty's side?

Of course, if he's mega "ticked" about this, then he could always set up a rival open wheel series with the help of a team such as...........Hmmm........Let's think................Oh yes...........Ferrari (amongst others), and then go racing at circuits such as Imola, Magny Cours, the Nurburgring Grand Prix circuit, Watkins Glen, Estoril, Jerez, Adelaide, Fuji, Sepang (after 2018), Silverstone (after 2019), Mugello (If only the owners would allow it! :p ), Paul Ricard (I believe the owner of the circuit might not be too happy with the owners of F1 and so could cancel the recently signed F1 contract! ;) ), the Dubai Autodrome, Losail Qatar, Laguna Seca, Long beach, to name but a few!

Saying all that though, he is 86 now and will more than likely be happy enough to just let go of the sport completely, enjoy the money that he's made out of the sport, and smile to himself as Liberty discover that F1 is not that easy to control after all!

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The King is dead, Long live the King....

From Jow Saward:

Liberty Media Corporation and Delta Topco, the parent company of Formula 1, have announced that Liberty Media has completed its acquisition of Formula One and has appointed Chase Carey as Chief Executive Officer of F1, in addition to his existing role as Chairman.
    Bernie Ecclestone has been named Chairman Emeritus. He will be available as "a source of advice" for the board of F1.
    "We are delighted to have completed the acquisition of F1 and that Chase will lead this business as CEO," said Greg Maffei, President and CEO of Liberty Media Corporation. "There is an enormous opportunity to grow the sport, and we have every confidence that Chase, with his abilities and experience, is the right person to achieve this."
    carey said that he is "excited" to be taking on the additional role of CEO.
    "F1 has huge potential with multiple untapped opportunities," he said. "I have enjoyed hearing from the fans, teams, FIA, promoters and sponsors on their ideas and hopes for the sport. We will work with all of these partners to enhance the racing experience and add new dimensions to the sport and we look forward to sharing these plans overtime.
    "I would like to recognise and thank Bernie for his leadership over the decades. The sport is what it is today because of him and the talented team of executives he has led, and he will always be part of the F1 family. Bernie's role as Chairman Emeritus befits his tremendous contribution to the sport and I am grateful for his continued insight and guidance as we build F1 for long-term success and the enjoyment of all those involved."
    Bernie Ecclestone said: "I'm proud of the business that I built over the last 40 years and all that I have achieved with Formula 1, and would like to thank all of the promoters, teams, sponsors and television companies that I have worked with. I'm very pleased that the business has been acquired by Liberty and that it intends to invest in the future of F1."
    The transaction price represents an enterprise value for F1 of $8 billion and an equity value of $4.4 billion.
    With the completion of the acquisition, the Liberty Media Group will shortly be renamed the Formula One Group and the ticker symbols for the Series A, Series B and Series C Liberty Media Group tracking stocks will be changed from LMC (A/B/K), respectively, to FWON (A/B/K), respectively, soon after the group name change has become effective.
    F1 will remain based in London and Greg Maffei will be Deputy Chair of the board of F1.

19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    At last. Bernie did a great job of turning F1 into the giant spectacle it is today. It's time to hand it over to the next generation. Some would say this should have been done a few years ago.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Brawn now officially confirmed.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He already holds the rights to GP1...together with Flavio I believe.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  23. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Bernie sold it too cheap. Seems he got out-manoeuvred too

When you consider the UFC was acquired for a paltry $2m in 2001, recently sold for $4 Billion, and Dana White keeps his job.

Bernie, you did a bum deal !

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales