Ford says Formula 1 costs still a turn-off | FerrariChat

Ford says Formula 1 costs still a turn-off

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I don't blame them for not entering in the current formula as a constructor/engine builder but after the 2020 concord agreement...IF the formula goes back to NA....it would be nice to see them ease into the engine supplier dept. ala Cosworth(that was a good engine back in the day) AND who knows from there.

Ford says Formula 1 costs still a turn-off

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. Look at Honda. 100m+ per season so far with no result. It doesn't trickle down to road car development either because Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and Honda aren't miles ahead (or anything ahead) on hybrid road cars to their non F1 participating manufacturers.

It's a hugely expensive gamble with no high expectancy on returns.

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM

Correct. F1 has never been a "Win on Sunday, Buy on Monday" marketing exercise.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Given there is already an electric racing series who needs F1 at all? F1 is not worth the new effort from a company like Ford until F1 knows what it wants to be in the future. Liberty has alot of work to do.

5. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Have you watched it.....? :D
    While F1 has its problems, especially recently in terms of one team domination, it remains more exciting than Formula E, IMHO. E seems to be on par with watching Formula Continental cars. When you couple that with the pit stop car switch and all of that fumbling around, it is just not that compelling so far. It is a spec series and from that standpoint the SAE Formula Electric is more interesting.....and this is coming from a guy that will watch raindrops race down window glass....:) I think it is way too early to call F1 dead because of Formula E.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    In another note: Ford says Indycar costs are still a turn-off.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Given there are awesome computer games who needs real racing at all?

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I don't follow...

The current engines suck. Can't wait to go back to NA

9. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fixed it for you :)

While that is true due to the disconnect between F1 cars and road cars there used to be a longer term return on investment for manufacturers. Honda's early road car engines after their first stint in F1 and then their PGM-F1 fuel injection in the 80s spring to mind. The issue with today is that the rules are so stifling that development on F1 doesn't translate to the real world anymore.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Suck; as in make more power per unit of fuel? displacement? TQ?
    OR
    Suck; and in sound like crap?

11. DF1

I agree and I have watched the E but prefer F1. But lets be 'real', F1 is going to and does face an identity crisis for whatever it will be in the future. Ford knows implicitly its returns dont match the investment. Ferrari can and will continue to sell all cars F1 or not.

12. DF1

Add Robot racing etc etc. F1 will face an identity crisis and does already. They want more races and a budget cap at Liberty. Some reconciliation of reality vs 'wants' will be coming.
    Can F1 overcome the challenge? Sure but who is left on the grid. 3 or 4 teams?

Liberty have alot of work to do and frankly in the world we live in, play time activities abound. F1 is one of a myriad of choices we have. If it goes away over time I will have a life nicely without it. Id rather it survive and grow but that remains to be seen.

I have faith in Ross but not that much for anyone else yet.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think DF1 means more ''why pour hundreds of millions into F1'' when it'll be much, much cheaper to race in FE where the development of actual helpful tech can help (notably battery technology).

For everyone info, I doubt batteries can be developed much further. How many years has the technology world had to improve our phones/laptops to get more out of our lithium batteries? Tesla has just released a new ''longer range'' car, from 315 to a massive 335 miles :)rolleyes:)...and how? Same amount of batteries, but with less power! Well no ****, I could've told them that!

Lithium mining is incredibly dirty, getting rid of it just as bad. Mind my words...electric cars is more stop gap. Hydrogen is the way forward. Shell and a bunch of manufacturers have just gotten together and formed a Hydrogen technology group.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think Ross is the right man to take F1 forwards...or perhaps backwards. Ross is a very respected man, but can also talk to the teams properly. He understands the sport very well...

Current F1 is not financially sustainable unless you are a manufacturer, and they're not knocking on the door to get a team. There are 2 ways to make F1 sustainable: 1) allow teams to quickly develop newer technology that can be implemented on road cars, and have manufacturers involved developing it (thought the past 3 years have proven this hasn't worked) 2) make the racing exciting for fans, allow it viewable on computer, make going to the track exciting again. Gain lost viewers back, and gain the interest of young people. More viewers, spend less money, this interests sponsors and ''poor'' teams interested and possible to run a profitable team

#makeF1greatagain

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They sound terrible and make for terrible racing.

16. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    From Fords standpoint, I agree. I am not sure they would get that much out of FE either at the moment. I think Ford will continue to have a brand presence with endurance racing where they have a heritage. Ford only had a badge presence in F1 with the DFV through Cosworth. Colin Chapman had to convince Ford to fund the development otherwise they would not have been there at all.

I would agree with most all of this. Electric has some nice properties (torque), but batteries remain a chemical process which remains slow, heavy and dirty to produce or recycle. Hydrogen still has some hurdles to overcome, not the least of which is its extremely rapid combustibility...

IC engines are not dead yet! have a look at the Infinity VC turbo that has been developed...
    VC-Turbo Engine Technology | Infiniti USA

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are so few teams now, how would they even make money as an engine supplier? Massive investment to sell one or two contacts at 20m/yr a pop? Probably to backmarker teams anyway?

18. DF1

And with fewer teams overall what is the incentive at all. Liberty in a way faces an F1 that needs to be rebuilt so to speak. Not completely but re-invigorated. How few teams are enough for a minimum, and do they have a number in mind as to how many they would like to see to be optimal.

19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ford's getting a load of good press from the new GT, why do they need to start pouring money down the F1 drain?

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

21. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Hydrogen has NO future as a fuel source for mass transportation. The most basic research into the difficulties of it would convince the most entrenched supporter of that fact.

Companies that need certain 'green tech' credits from their governments are merely paying lip service to its suitability.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Funny you mention credits. That's exactly what the USA did to create the electric car market....which is powered off fossil fuels.

If what you were saying were actually true (no future), then companies like BMW and Toyota would not continue to dump massive money into hydrogen fuel cell research.

23. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    +1

Honda and GM announced a fuel cell development and manufacturing JV few days ago.

24. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Both dumped millions into F1 without a moments hesitation before they realised it was a dead end for their companies.

They are not immune to making mistakes and chasing unicorns.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In a nutshell, yeah ...