Luca Di Montezemolo not surprised by Mercedes dominance | FerrariChat

Luca Di Montezemolo not surprised by Mercedes dominance

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    You would think Luca would have fought hard ( at the time not knowing this info ) to keep the NA engine in 2013 going into 2014 by using his veto power. So maybe a deal was worked out with Bernie? I say its 50% Bernie's fault we're in this power-unit fiasco and 50% is Luca's fault for not fighting tooth and nail.

Di Montezemolo not surprised by Mercedes dominance - F1Today.net

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes and Renault pressed hard for this and had the FIA vote (FIA's vision of greenness fitted this nicely). Bernie was against the engines, predicted they would sound **** and not sure if they'd be so cheap as Mercedes/Renault said. Ferrari was against them, too. At first the engines would be 4 cilinder but Ferrari argued it wasn't road relevant for them and wanted V8 at least. They reached a comprimise on V6. Meanwhile, this didn't matter much: Mercedes especially was far ahead of the curve, they couldn't care less if it was a V4, V6, V8 or V12 even...as long as the hybrid got pushed through. IIRC Mercedes had a very good working concept already in 2012, all what was needed was the convincing of rules and perfecting. The insistence that engines couldn't be modified post winter testing was their masterstroke, whoever approved that is a monumental idiot.

Ecclestone doesn't write the rules, the FIA does. Bernie isn't the FIA.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Bernie was correct. They certainly sound shi$e

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The lesson from this is that the players shouldn't be allowed to dictate the rules.

Once you put multi-nationals in position of influence in a sport, they will serve their interest, not the sport in general.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. Mercedes cried ''we'll leave the sport if you don't bow down to our rules''. Not sure what Renault said, considering they only made engines and surely where profitable at that. No development anymore at that point, just rake in the cash from supplying the WDC team and ride their coattails to the next championship (ok they got their panties in a twist and claimed they didn't get much recognition, but whatever:D).

FIA went along with it because A) it would serve their green ideology and B) felt F1 could use a shakeup (instead of tackling the aerodynamic rules properly)

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The reason F1 is not exciting these days.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The harsh reality is that F1 has had far more unexciting seasons than it has ever had exciting seasons, even when the cars had larger capacity, normally aspirated engines and sounded better!

9. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I am still kicking myself for not attending a F1 race when we had screaming v12's.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Those were the days! I remember them well! in the 70's you could really tell from a long way who was out on track... BRM v12, Ferrari Flat 12, Matra V12, Ford Cosworth - V-8 all of them had a distinct sound - the Matra's were loudest and highest pitched - oddly followed by the Ford's... BRM was not very melodic... Ferrari always sounded good as they went by... from time to time you had Alfa in there and Renault.... the Renault when it first came out was SO un inspiring ...

in the 90's all the cars were Atmo... and you had V-12, Flat 12, V-10, V-8's from all kinds of manufactures.. it was a symphony of sound. At Paul Ricard - you could hear them wind up as they came out of the left turn onto the Mistral .... un believable... noise. The V-8 era just before the turbos were loud -but that was it - just loud, they all sounded exactly the same.

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Just attend the Ferrari racing days, Corse Clienti or classic F1 races.....you'll love it...walk around the pit lane, see the tech.....

Some cars are very high pitched making you close your ears, others resonate in your stomach and lungs, noise can be very different but equally violent......

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I agree, and, I think 2014-2016 V6's were more exciting races than the races with the V8's they replaced.

13. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Excellent post capturing how amazing the sounds used to be. I remember being in Montreal and hearing how different the Ferrari V12 sounded from the Honda V12 that sounded different than the Lamborghini V12. Each of the V10s also sounded different. A large piece of the passion and excitement died with these new power units. Life moves on, I just do not need to go to races anymore as I cannot justify the expense and using vacation time for the poor quality product that Formula 1 has become since 2014.

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Brawn was behind Merc's plan to spend way big than others to get ahead :D

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    +1
    I remember within hearing distance of the F1 race track, my blood would curl just hearing those marvelous sounds.