Live streaming ? | FerrariChat

Live streaming ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ago car nut, Feb 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Tell me more about live streaming. The only reason I have cable TV is to watch F1. Would like to dump cable!

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

In brief - Via Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media

Live streaming refers to Internet content delivered in real-time, as events happen, much as live television broadcasts its contents over the airwaves via a television signal. An example of live streaming is Metropolitan Opera Live in HD, a program in which the Metropolitan Opera streams an opera performance "live", as the performance is taking place; in 2013–2014, 10 operas were transmitted via satellite into at least 2,000 theaters in 66 countries.[2] Live internet streaming requires a form of source media (e.g. a video camera, an audio interface, screen capture software), an encoder to digitize the content, a media publisher, and a content delivery network to distribute and deliver the content. Live streaming does not need to be recorded at the origination point, although it frequently is.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Do away with the monthly cable subscription, and buy a cable/connection that plugs into your phone(apple, samsung, LG) and flat screen tv ports (via usb, HDMI, etc.) and there you go.

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Last year I believe NBC aired F1 on NBC, NBCSN and CNBC. You can get these channels (along with many others) through Sling and DirectvNow streaming services. There are many options to stream this to your tv, eg. apple tv, android tv, roku, chromecast, amazon fire, etc. Watching on phone, ipad or computer would be through their apps.

Only catch is there is no DVR service yet for these services that I'm aware of. Sling is beta testing cloud dvr, so presumably it'll be available at some point.

Hulu is also bringing channel streaming later this year.

5. Denyo83

Denyo83 Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    can't wait . A lot of live streaming providers are bad quality. especially the free ones you'll find online

6. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Playstation Vue seems to be the most attractive option incl. DVR right now. It not only supports PS3 & 4 but most other platforms like Chromecast, FireStick, Apple and Android as well.

7. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
  8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Thanks, I didn't know about this one. Are you using PS3/4 or one of the other devices?

9. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I used both DirectTvNow and Playstation Vue in parallel on Chromecast, Firestick and Android phones - I did not install it yet on the PS3 as I don't want to fiddle with that playstation controller to manage my TV. If you run it on your phone/tablet, it's very easy to cast to the Chromecast. I prefer using the app on the Firestick as it's faster and more reliable than casting.
    Vue has two major "features" over the other that are important to me: DVR and parallel support for up to 5 devices at any given time. Based on how many folks are using it in your house, the 2 device policy of DirectvNow might not work. I have a 3 months subscription with DirectvNow and will switch to Vue in March.

All believe all providers have a free setup for one week - just install them all and check it out in parallel. All you need to start is really a relatively stable internet connection.

Playstation V

10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    APRIL 12, 2017

Brawn wants teams to release data secrets

New F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn wants to use secret team data to spice up the show for fans.

Currently, the teams' vast and impressive information-collecting abilities and technologies are almost entirely secret.

But with Liberty Media having swept in to succeed the Bernie Ecclestone era, Brawn's plan to add value for the fans would involve broadcasting in real time that secret data about fuel loads, tyre wear, engine settings and more via an app.

According to the Times newspaper, fans in the grandstands will also be able to access the information thanks to free and fast wifi.

"That's definitely coming. It's being worked on," said Brawn.

The next step after that will be convincing the teams to release their secret data in the best interests of the sport.

"If we cross that (secrecy) barrier, to make all that information available, I think the large chunk of enthusiasts would really enjoy seeing all that, both live and retrospectively," added Brawn.

"We know they need to beat each other but can we cross that barrier and say what we want is a much bigger business and, if we all (do it), nobody is going to be disadvantaged or advantaged."

Indeed, he said teams once went to great lengths to encrypt radio transmissions, but now those transmissions are routinely listened to by fans on the TV.

"There was just a change of mindset -- that everybody's radio is going to be free," said Brawn.

And he thinks that if the secrecy barrier is eventually broken in F1, it could be stepped up to the point that moves the teams closer together in competitiveness.

"Someone told me the other day that (in Nascar) at a certain stage of the season you can go and look at someone else's car and strip it apart and see what's in it. And that's their way of keeping everyone loosely competitive. And no one objects, no one has a problem.

"It's a philosophy that should be thought about," said Brawn.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have Internet through Verizon and the sling tv app on amazon tv. No "cable tv" required. You can also watch sling on iPad, computer, etc. You need to get an add on package for sling to get the proper channels for f1 though.

They also have a cloud DVR option for recording.

Hope that helps.