1950 British Grand Prix | FerrariChat

1950 British Grand Prix

Discussion in 'F1' started by davebuchner, Feb 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    The 1950 British Grand Prix is generally accepted to be the first grand prix of the Formula One era, and we are always hearing about Ferrari having been in the championship since the very beginning.

I recently bought an original race program from that very first race - which I think is a neat little piece of F1 history.

I was paging through today and was surprised to see Ferrari wasn't in the starting line-up .... this didn't add up.

I did a bit of research and was surprised to see that Enzo snubbed the first race of the new championship format, and they only entered the championship from the second race onwards, at Monaco. Supposedly he was unhappy about the appearance money on offer, so entered some cars in a Formula 2 race in France instead.

So there you have it - Ferrari may have the longest competitive history in F1 - but even they weren't there right at the start.

This is probably old news to you all - but I never knew this.

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ferrari skiped a few other races..some in 73 because the cars were junk....also in 82 when Gilles died, and probably a couple others...

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yes, Ferrari would skip races on occasion through the 60s when it suited them. Iirc, in 1961 they skipped the season-ending US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen because Phil Hill wrapped up the championship(s) at Monza, and they didn't want to spend the money to send the team and cars across the Atlantic.

4. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Thank you that's interesting