Formula 1 Austin vacation, tips for a first timer? | FerrariChat

Formula 1 Austin vacation, tips for a first timer?

Discussion in 'F1' started by MotoCARR, Feb 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MotoCARR

MotoCARR Rookie

Jul 8, 2015
    Mundelein
    Full Name:
    Julian
    #1 MotoCARR, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The wife and I are planning a mini vacation to Austin to check out the USGP. Any tips on seating areas, things to do, etc. for first timers?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AB456 likes this.
  2. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    First timer… General admission !

You don't need to be tied down to any particular area! You get to walk around the entire venue and truly experience the best of each corner.

If money is no issue, I would strongly suggest purchasing Suite access , either Main Grandstand or Pit Side!

That way, no matter the weather, you will have an air-conditioned oasis to retreat to, plus the food and drink is slightly better is well.

The above is obviously my opinion only and I am sure you will get several shared here over the next several days !

Allow extra time before or after race day to explore all of the barbecue options in the area as well! ( Lockhart , Taylor, etc )

Link to BBQ discussion in the Texas section :
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/texas-sponsored-boardwalk-ferrari/539936-bbq-tour-help-request.html

Andy

3. MotoCARR

MotoCARR Rookie

Jul 8, 2015
    Mundelein
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Hey thanks Andy! I'll definitely look at those options. I have reached out to COTA to see what packages they may have. General admission sounds appealing simply for the "roamability". While I'd love to do a Thur - Sunday deal, most likely we will just be going for raceday.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Went to COTA 2012. All 3 days. We had tickets for turn 4($360ea.) plus parking in Lot L i think...they bused us to the track... but next time I would get general admission for the roamability and prices are bout $200 less. Take seats. Food is expensive...i.e. Turkey leg $15, water 20oz $8 etc. so pack some sandwiches/water if thats your forte. We stayed in San Antonio as hotel prices were not thru the roof(Motel 6 in Buda was $350) and drove up to San Marcos and took the back way...bout an hour if you beat traffic and arrived at 6:30am to the gate...every day if your an early bird. Turn 12 is at the end of the long straight or Turn 1 is up the hill. They had the Porsche Cup/Ferrari Challenge(458's) to fill in the time. Alot of vendors selling clothes which you can get on-line. Look to see who is playing concert-wise if you want to stay after the GP. Enjoy and good-luck.

5. MotoCARR

MotoCARR Rookie

Jul 8, 2015
    Mundelein
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Exactly what we planned on doing. Being only about an hour or so away our thought was to actually stay in SA for a few days and just drive to Austin for race-day.

6. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    First 2 years the hotel rates were inflated. Now they are reasonably priced.

7. Jakillo

Jakillo Karting

May 29, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jason Toms
    My recommendation is turn 1 or more favorably turn 12. I'd definitely recommend picking a grandstand so that you have a good view of the action. With the grandstand ticket, you still have all the same GA access as well.

8. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Plenty of great viewing with GA. Bring a blanket or chair of course.

I've been every year and I'll be there again this year. Sit on the wall between turn 10 and 11, great view of exit of 10 and the braking zone into 11 (passing zone) then the run towards 12. There is a big screen there as well so you can see the rest of the action.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with Jakillo, T12 is our favorite, but T1 would be great too. We walked entire track checking out all views, that's fun during a practice session or support group. Make sure to watch the historic F1, race better than the actual F1 race. I would also get parking, don't deal with the bus transport lines.

6th street downtown fun and last couple years they've had great concerts at track to get attendance because no one was going for F1 only. If you have extra couple days do San Antonio river walk.

10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Can anyone tell me how far 9th and Trinity is from the downtown action during the race weekend?
    What streets exactly do all the action happen on?
    Thanks

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    6th Street is where the action is.......you're not far from it and its better to walk-it as it will be bumper to bumper on all lanes and then trying to find parking if you take a vehicle on 6th.

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Watch the weather carefully before you come. Texas weather in October can be warm, to very cold. You never know.

And as happened two seasons ago, the potential for massive downpours is present.

13. vintagethunder

Jan 12, 2014
    Monmouth, IL
    They have a strange toll system I was totally unfamiliar with. There are no places to actually pay but the signs implied there was. They take your license plate photo when you go through all the gates. No mention of a website or how to pay anywhere! Finally found out you can pay on-line later, but it is cheaper to get a pass before you go. I got lost a few times and tolls were about $25 for the three days. I was a track marshall and stayed at the track for the three days or it might have been more.

14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic

Joe,
    What cross streets on 6th does the action happen at?
    I am looking to book a hotel at 7th and Congress.
    Would I be close and in walking distance/
    Thanks
    -Dominic

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Dude, your fine there too. Just walk down Congress as you will be able to see the capital building then turn on 6th St. towards I-35...and pick your poison either right or left. Anywhere on 6th St. between Congress and I-35....you cannot miss it due to all the noise and bands playing at different bars. Enjoy and stay thirsty my friends.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Perlas' seafood and the Bar at the Driskill are great places... We had drinks with Bob Varsha at the Driskill, one night and then met the guys from Mercedes hospitality the night after the race... that was 2 years ago. also met Eric Boullier from Lotus there in 2013 for drinks. Jenson Button was having dinner next to us at Perlas on the Thursday night before the race.. he and about 8 others at a large table.