Claire has revealed Williams prevented Bottas from switching to Ferrari in 2015 | FerrariChat

Claire has revealed Williams prevented Bottas from switching to Ferrari in 2015

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Williams "promised" Bottas release to top F1 team

Claire Williams has revealed she promised Valtteri Bottas the team would not stand in his way again after it prevented him from switching to Ferrari in 2015.

Bottas has switched to world champion Mercedes for 2017 following the shock retirement of Nico Rosberg, with Williams releasing him from his contract.

However, when Ferrari showed interest in the Finn in 2015, Williams was less cooperative, and that situation played a part in the outcome this time around.

"Valtteri has been an important part of Williams, he's got that fiery passion that you want in a driver because all he wants to do is be in the best car and win," deputy team principal Williams told Motorsport.com.

"When you have a driver that you know that's all they want, why force them to race your car? That's not the right thing to do.

"We stood in Valtteri's way once, when Ferrari came along, and I made a promise to Valtteri I wouldn't stand in his way again – I honour my promises.

"He has an amazing opportunity, and it will be interesting to see how Valtteri does this year."

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said in the Italian media last month that a financial contribution was made to secure Felipe Massa's return from his short-lived retirement to partner rookie Lance Stroll, describing Williams as "a really capable businesswoman".

Williams added that she believes the terms of the deal for Bottas to leave were in the best interests of her team.

"We made sure it could work for us," she said. "I have total confidence in the decision I made. I think we did the right thing, and I have no regrets.

"Anyone who knows me will know I did a good deal for this team, and I would only have made that move if it was in the best interests of the team.

"Everyone knows how much I love this team, how important this is to me and how much I want it to get back to winning. I'm looking forward to seeing what Felipe can do – I hear that fire in his voice again.

"The pressure is off. He's coming back for a swansong and he can have good fun."

source: Williams "promised" Bottas release to top F1 team

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Better he got delayed. Ferrari do not appear ready to challenge Mercedes just yet. She may have done him a favor to prevent his move to Ferrari. Either way it is just business.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agreed, by the way, I sent her a Valentines Day card this year.........ha ha

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Claire Williams preventing Bottas from going to Ferrari in 2015 is hardly breaking news - It was common knowledge at the time.

The fact that she then promised not to stand in his way next time is interesting though, as it raises the question as to whether she would not of stood in his way had Ferrari made another approach for him?

It should also be noted that her promise not to stand in his way next time wasn't quite as generous as she is making it out to be.

She appears to have neglected to say that she made Bottas a promise not to stand in his way next time........provided Williams F1 were offered a compensation package that was to their liking, otherwise he was going nowhere!

Don't get Me wrong, I fully understand Williams F1 wanting/requiring compensation for giving up one of their drivers to a rival team, that's only natural, but it's a bit out of order for Claire Williams to imply that having stopped Bottas going to Ferrari, she became some sort of benevolent boss who was determined to help Bottas move on with his career, even if it was with another team.

Had Mercedes (or any other team for that matter), not come up with enough financial compensation for Williams F1, then Bottas wouldn't have been going anywhere, and Claire Williams' lovely little promise to Bottas would have meant F#(£ all!

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, there's a difference between "standing in his way" by refusing to discuss or consider a release, and getting "out if the way" provided proper considerations are made.

Theoretically, Williams could have said "Bugger off. We just lost our veteran driver and signed a greener than green rookie for his seat. We can't even consider letting Bottas go right now." I would consider being open and willing to work a deal as fulfilling Claire's reported promise.

I've always had a lot of respect for both Sir Frank and now Claire Williams. Still do.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Williams is to Mercedes kind of what Toro Rosso is to Red Bull, Sauber or Haas are to Ferrari, etc

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

F1 is a crazy place.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I have a lot of respect for Claire Williams, especially in light of the fact that she works at a level in a business environment that is not exactly female-friendly.

As I did point out in My previous post, I can understand why she demanded the deal she did concerning Bottas going to Mercedes for the sake of the Williams F1 team, however, I stand by My statement that her promise to Valtteri Bottas, not to stand in his way should another top team come calling for him, wasn't quite the benevolent act that she is making it out to be.

The fact of the matter is, she said she promised Bottas that should another top team want him to drive for them then she wouldn't stand in his way of switching teams, but had Mercedes not met her financial demands, then standing in his way is exactly what she would have done!

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

You cannot say that for certain and her allegiance is to the team first. Bottas is an employee and certainly important. He signed a contract. Its just F1 business and in no way a shock to how she has handled it. Others would be more benevolent LOL????? A shark pond this is not a local karting club.

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    As Maurizio Arrivabene said: "Bottas is not worth as much as they´re asking for". So I suppose that in the end everybody is happy: Ferrari didn´t get ripped, Williams got their money, Bottas got a better seat and Mercedes... well, they had little room for negotiation, hadn´t they?