Fittipaldi signs for Ferrari! | FerrariChat

Fittipaldi signs for Ferrari!

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari is lining up its future thoroughbreds as the latest members of its exclusive Driver Academy are awarded racing programs with partner Prema in 2017.

Brazilian Enzo Fittipaldi, the grandson of two-time world champion Emerson Fittipaldi, will be entering the Italian Formula 4 Championship with the Prema team in 2017.

After enjoying a successful career in American kart competition, he took part in the Mexican Formula 4 round held jointly with Formula 1 at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

He also entered in a few rounds of the 2016 Ginetta Junior Championship in the united Kingdom.

Following the usual process, Fittipaldi was selected at the end of a stage held in Maranello featuring simulator, physical and on-track training.

"I am very happy and honored to be racing with Prema and to be part of the Ferrari Driver Academy," said the teenager.

" Being a rookie this year I know I will have a lot to learn, but nonetheless I am really motivated and looking forward to the start of the season."

The second aspiring champion who Ferrari has brought under its wing is New Zealander Marcus Armstrong who has also joined the Prema roster.

A committed racer who raced successfully in karting before stepping up to Formula Ford, Armstrong also got a taste of Formula Ford and British F3 last season.

The 16-year-old will enjoy a double-program in 2017, racing in both the Italian and German F1 championships.

“I’m very pleased to be working with Prema Powerteam for the 2017 season," said Armstrong.

"There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience within the team, and it's fantastic to share the same ambition.

"Between Prema and the Ferrari Driver Academy I feel a great collaboration and I can't thank them enough.”

source:Fittipaldi signs for Ferrari!

daytona355 likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Possible future......an Enzo driving a Ferrari.....next to Mick Schumacher as his team-mate.....harmonious.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    would be epic

daytona355 likes this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That's what we need, plus a car that has the rest licked too of course

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    There are plenty of good drivers who have been through the Ferrari driver academy and haven't even been considered for a drive for the Scuderia.

Having a famous World Champion Father or Grandfather isn't going to mean diddly squat to Ferrari if the driver isn't good enough in their opinion.

Get excited if you want, but none of the drivers mentioned in this thread have made it yet, and there's every chance that they'll go the same way as every other driver from the academy - Somewhere else!

lorenzobandini and william like this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I know, not going to carried away with the likes of some names: Jack Brahbams sons, Jacques Villeneuve, Damon Hill, Piquets sons and Giulian Alesi....to name a few.

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Jacques Villeneuve and Damon Hill both won their WDC's because they had a massive car advantage over everyone else bar their team-mate, as has Nico Rosberg.

Fair play to them, they did the job required, but not one of them is rated as being one of the all time great drivers, let alone all time great Champions.

Had Schumacher been in the Williams in '96 &'97, chances are he would have waltzed away with the WDC far more convincingly that Hill or Villeneuve managed to, and he doesn't have a famous racing father/Grandfather/uncle or whatever.

As for the sons of Brabham, Piquet and Alesi, what have they achieved in F1? - Nothing!

The point is, the famous surname means **** all to Ferrari, if the drivers simply aren't good enough then they're not going to be driving for the Scuderia.

If they prove themselves to be fantastic drivers and earn a seat in the Ferrari, then it's time to get excited, but I'd hold off wetting My knickers just because they've made it into the Ferrari driver academy, because so far, not one of the drivers from the academy has been deemed worthy of driving for Ferrari in F1!

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If Stroll can hack it then he might be the one ex academy driver to get the Ferrari drive ..eventually.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sincerely, very bad news, I feel sorry for the real talented drivers. Enzo is average at best.

Ferrari, with its huge resources and name, should have chosen the karting world champion or someone who has shown impressive results in the lower Formula classes.

10. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    crack me up .... “Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing”

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Depends on his sponsors lol.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, but why were they recruited by their teams, when there was such a selection of drivers to chose from ?

14. #14 lorenzobandini, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    ;)

I don't remember them being F1 recruited from "The Academy" by the Scuderia. :confused:
    'Matter of fact, I remember only one Alesi having driven for Ferrari (not from "The Academy").....and that one none too successful...nor the son of a champion himself...... :oops: ;)

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Emerson Fittipaldi Sr loses his cool at Hideki Noda after his daughter Juju collides with the former's son Emerson Jr in DanishF4 while battling for race win - video included of the move and verbal scuffle

Fast forward to 19minutes and watch from then on.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Left the door open and in she came................

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    my question is...what's he doing in F4 still after all this time? Especially Danish F4 at that. Not exactly a highly ranking championship. Italian/ADAC/UK F4 costs no more than 100K a year, there literally is zero point in mucking about in Danish F4 among complete unknowns. Cheap championship is the only reason...and it'll be seen exactly as that: Cheap.

ingegnere likes this.