Reaching human physical limits in F1 | FerrariChat

Reaching human physical limits in F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting note from Pirelli. With corning of the current batch of F1 cars now reaching 5gs they worry about humans blacking out in the corners.

5g's is pretty incredible for an object with such little contact with the road surface!

Pirelli wary of 'blackout point' | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Drivers are also saying they feel like they are approaching the point of blacking out.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Simply reduce mechanical and aerodynamic grip. Would that not be a solution?

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    You are not at all likely to blackout during a short exposure to 5 g,say like through the Beckets/Maggots at Silverstone,However on a banked track with extended repeated exposure then yes it could happen.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Surely they've done some centrifuge training over winter.

6. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Perhaps we should ask some of the members of this board who are or were fighter pilots or aerobatic pilots? What would they say?

7. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    F-18 pilots turn 8g's, but do have g suits and practice a breathing maneuver called th HIC to prevent blackouts. I think 5 is safe...they should be at the limit, it's the highest form of racing

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Maybe they have to wear g-suits as this is nothing new in military jet fighter aviation since the vietnam war....blood rushing away from the brain causing a blackout....a g-suit "constricts" the body to keep the blood in the brain preventing black out plus the breathing technique.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Pilots never experience lateral G forces - the forces in the plane are always aligned along the vertical and horizontal axis in two dimensions, whether acceleration, positive compression forces, or negative G force - but never in the third lateral dimension. I wouldn't think that a normal pilots G suit would be of any benefit for lateral G.

The biggest problem for 2017 F1 drivers will be the neck muscles holding against the higher lateral G forces for full race distances.

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    This is true in the veritical/horizontal axis or 2D arena but if the fighter pilot is taking a turn at said degree angle in a dogfight, said pilot heads is angled with his body and puts strain on the neck muscles for the duration of the turn (while turning the fighter pilot could be in a dive or climbing).

sorry to go off topic.

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Garbage. Sensationalist fake news.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Believe it or not, I half agree you here.

I think the blackout bit is "fake". Pilots lose blood from the brain by the force pulling them down, not sideways. So, to me, the blackout bit is false IF the driver can keep his head straight up and down.

The part that's not fake is the ultimate strength of the driver's neck muscles to keep his head with helmet from not trying to go horizontal in the turn and still maintain control.

I was curious what others thought about Pirelli's claim. Maybe its a way for them to try to get out of having increasing stickier tires by bringing up a "safety issue".

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Correct.

Back in the 80's or 90's they were pulling 5G.
    Pete

15. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    There's a quote from Mario Theissen in 2008 or 2009 saying they were doing 6G (without any loss of consciousness) in 130R so they're still some way off the peak if 5 is the they'll hit this season. I'd expect it to be higher than 5g with the big tires and return to high DF if they were able to do 6g back then.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I suspect the "black-out" is a misused term.

Indycar drivers on the short Iowa oval sometimes reported ill effects from the constant cornering, but it was more akin to airsickness or "car sick" or the nausea associated with free fall.
    The effects of unaccustomed accelerations on the G-I tract, rather than blood pulled from the brain.

Remember Clarkson losing his lunch after testing the Prodrive P2 on a skidpad? ;)

But, without a neck brace, holding up the head and helmet against a lot of lateral force would be quite a workout, over a 2 hour race.
    And there are still people who claim racing doesn't take physical conditioning.
    (Probably left over from seeing old time NASCAR drivers carrying their own "spare tire". ;))

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    And then there's this from 2009: :p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1JUHGAZUrY[/ame]

18. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    More insane cars and g suits. Problem solved.

These cars should push the body to the limit and there should only be a select group of people on earth who can drive them.

19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The limit, is where you kill someone, fyi.

You advocate pushing 22 driver's to death per event?

;)

20. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Hype.

The issue with Indy cars and drivers blacking out had to do with short ovals (i.e.: Texas Speedway) where the banking converts cornering loads into vertical loads, PLUS the short straights which allow less recovery time for the drivers. After several laps of this, the drivers reported the blackout effects.

This won't affect the new F1 cars.

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Like the Wall of Death, then ...

22. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
  23. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can't handle it? then you slow down. The real competitors will push it faster to their limit and will beat others who can't. That is the racing that I want to see.

24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So if 5gs isnt the limit for humans racing, what do 'we' think it is ? Obviously there is a limit.

30 years ago i cant imagine them thinking we woould be where we are today as far as this.

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    fighter pilots have worn g-suits for over 30 years :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-LOC