Did F1 reach peak safety in the late 90s? | FerrariChat

Did F1 reach peak safety in the late 90s?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ren0312, Mar 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Did Formula 1 reach peak safety in the 90s? Such that any additional safety regulations after that are not that economical anymore? The problem is that any safety regulations after that, like the ban on refueling, no gravel traps, getting rid of the old Hockenheimring, just destroy the show, although maybe power should have been capped at 800 HP if they want to slow the cars down.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think they should go back to full speed pit lane services.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perhaps, but don't agree with limiting power to 800. Actually we need significantly more than that, and just less downforce, no fancy suspension.

That was always going to be a huge accident waiting to happen.

4. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I never got over Hockenheim being circumsized. But I do agree that the old track was another death waiting to happen.
    The times of the big bang for the buck in safety are certanly over. They long reached a stage where improvements are driven on thorough research, costing time and tons of money. The nature of everything being professionalized, I reckon.

I think the next wave of significant improvement may be digital. The virtual safety car was a first step. Real time knowledge of whereabouts of everything on the grid permits a lot to be improved with real time communication.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There have been a number of improvements that don't spoil the show but that protect drivers and even fans. The ones that spring to mind immediately are:

2001 - zylon wheel tethers
    2007 - zylon side intrusion panels on tubs
    2011 - zylon strips on helmet visor

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very good point. The wheel tethers are an excellent safety addition.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I loved the old Hockenheim; a real track.

It was very spectacular to watch bike races there. I remember a race long duel between Jarno Saarinen on a Yamaha and Phil Read on his MV Agusta. The Finn was catching the Brit at each lap in the Stadium and overtaking him in the corner; whilst Read used to pull away by 200 yards on the long straights. Absolutely fantastic!!!
    Saarinen died 2 weeks later at Monza, on another fast circuit.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Get rid of the downforce and you don't have to worry about the suspension cleverness.

9. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Safety evolutions come from unfortunate incidents. There will never be a safety peak, because something bad happening is always perking around the corner.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Safety is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up because of rules on the designs of the cars and testing.

The question this year will be the increased cornering speeds that the new tires bring. Cars are 5 seconds a lap faster than last year already. If someone loses it in a corner or there is an incident the speed into the corner is much higher.

IMO, that's why there should be limits on how much downforce the cars should have. Put more emphasis in acceleration, braking and mechanical grip and LESS on aero to get corner speeds down but mechanical traction up.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's true in every industry.

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Did F1 reach peak safety in the late 90s?

Optimum security, YES. It's auto racing...it's dangerous!

13. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Defintely! But then the last fatality was due to the towing equipment, not the cars or the track.

14. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +
    2010 - refueling ban

The "peak" of safety is yet to come, with continued talk of closed cockpits and the current examples of...gulp...wheel covers in FE & Indycar.
    Brace yourselves y'all.

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    No we did not reach peak safety, very large steps have been made since then, especially in how the driver's body is controlled under crashing G'forces.