East Coast Caravan to Montreal for F1 (Jun 8-11) | FerrariChat

East Coast Caravan to Montreal for F1 (Jun 8-11)

Discussion in 'F1' started by lashss, Mar 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Anyone driving up for the race in Montreal?

A bunch of us will be heading up from DC and PA that Thursday morning.

We're doing a bunch of dinners, happy hours, karting, etc.

Anyone else??

LSJ

2. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Are you guys driving your cars or taking your daily drivers?
    I go every year with a friend and we fly but he might not be going this year.
    It would be fun to drive my car but you would have to get a room at a high end hotel
    For safe secure parking. I really love Montreal and look forward to going every year.
    Such a great venue with some hip places to hang too

3. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    We are driving the exotics up. It is a scenic drive and having your car in the city takes the trip to another level. We display on Peel Street and also in Little Italy for their festivals.

We do at least one and usually two road rallies during the weekend.

Yes, we have a hotel with secure, guarded, underground parking.

PM me if you want to join us or have any questions.

LSJ

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sounds cool , I would love to take my car on a road trip like that...

How many hours does it take you to get to Montreal?

How many in your caravan? Is your group just personal friends or a mixed group.

5. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I was told by a few guys that drove up in the past that it's 6 hrs. Not bad

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    if you can do this, do it.

have done Montreal F1 15 times, and the last 7 we drove. A "rally" or "caravan" adds to the fun, we've done it a few times.

A few thoughts

1) from the "general" NYC area, our record time (straight up I-87) is 4:40, usually it's 5-6

2) I-87 north of Albany is beautiful, but the rest is freeway (ugh). We took a few routes through VT that were spectacular, though I was in "follow mode". Even if it adds time, it's much nicer

3) double check you have the usual paperwork for your car, and a US Passport, but in my experience Canadian Immigration/Customs only hassle you if you really deserve it (note: Canada will not let you in if you have a DUI on your record....up to the officer's discretion but we experienced a surprise when traveling with a colleague. He took a taxi to Plattsburgh and flew home)

4) bring a small car cleaning kit....if it's warm and muggy in June, the first 10 miles into Canada seem to have swarms of bugs as you go through some flat wetlands

5) the police actively use radar detector detectors....so if you're armed, might as well turn it off, most of the traffic goes 75 and when you get close to Montreal, the traffic slows you down

6) remember, June starts "construction season" in Quebec, and the roads around Montreal tend to be like NYC roads...so watch for the potholes

7) if you have time and can extend, head north out of Montreal into the Laurentians....absolutely gorgeous. Spend a few days in Mont Tremblant..

7. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I will be driving up as well. Maybe we can all set up a place and time to meet up.

8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Glad to hear that so many will be driving up!

What events do you guys do with the cars when you are there? We usually display on Peel Street and also in Little Italy for their big party.

We will do a drive across the bridge for dinner one night too.

I usually organize a morning trip to a local car wash that we have used for years. They do a great job.

Our hotel blocks off a whole row of spots in their garage for us. It is secure and we can enter/exit at will.

The karting facility does the same for us as well as the restaurants that we reserve.

LSJ

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I've always taken my daily driver and this year decided not to go so I can save up for a Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde. Haha! And sure enough SF does well at Barcelona. Well, they kinda did the same last year but who cares. If they win I will be screaming from home. Have fun. Holiday Inn Longueuil has a VIP list and my room was up for grabs as a result. It's not in the center of things but a nice hotel with RCAF decor. They are right next to the Pratt & Whittney plant. Cab service to the track on Fri, Sat, early Sun!

10. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I'm trying to coordinate the Little Italy display. I don't think the exact schedule is out just yet. When it is released, we'll get a meeting place and time for us to caravan to the display area.

We did this a few years ago with the cars and it was a lot of fun.

There will be a group drive to the South shore for dinner in Chambly as well.

Also, we stay at Hotel 10 and it is terrific. Staff and service are great and location is top notch. It is on one of the most popular corners in the city with regards to restaurants and bars. Our block of rooms is discounted pretty heavily and we get free breakfast and free secure, underground parking.

Let me know if any of you are interested.

Thanks,
    LSJ

11. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Lash,
    I just booked my room at Hotel 10
    The place looks great on the website. This looks like a cool hip place to stay.
    I decided to fly in. Still looking forward to hanging with you guys since my usually friend
    Can't make it this year.

12. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Just be mentally prepared for LOTS of bugs especially in the area of the Adirondacks. You'll find unusually large, brightly colored, exotic ones plastered on your bumpers, windshield. Also be careful of NY state/local police who expect this caravan of fancy cars each year, representing huge revenue opportunities for the small towns.

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Looks like it is going to be quite a turnout so far.

I just confirmed with my Corse Clienti friend and they are getting pumped about the Historic F1 display and race as a support.

Anyone else going?

LSJ

14. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Concerning radar detectors. My Canadian friends carry two. Your good one and a flee market junk detector. Get stopped and hand over the junk piece.

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    GTSBruce, that is a great tip!

I received PMs from a few of you regarding our hotel for the F1 race in June. Some of you that booked suggested letting other people know because of the great arrangement that we have.
    A group of 20 of us are driving up from the East Coast USA for this trip. I organize the drive, hotel, social activities, etc. and this will be our 19th straight year.

We attend the race, check out the Historic F1 paddock as well as Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup. We also do two days of karting at Kart-o-Mania and display the cars in Little Italy for their festival.

I've checked out almost all of the major hotels in the city and assessed them for our needs. Only a few can meet the criteria for comfort, service, style, location, access to subway, access to roads and secure, garage parking for our cars.

A few years ago, we decided on Hotel 10 because of the favorable mix of all of the above requirements.

Hotel 10 Montreal - Montreal Hotels

Not only is it a physically beautiful place but the staff there pay extra attention to guests and especially our group. One of the managers is an old friend and they give us outstanding service.

The hotel is located at the corner of Sherbrooke and St Laurent. This is a terrific neighborhood with great restaurants and clubs across the street. The subway is two blocks away and the track is about 15 mins away.

There is a famous Esso station next door that becomes a parking lot for exotics on Friday and Saturday night. It is a nice little car show with Veyrons, La Ferraris, Mclarens, Vipers, Aventadors, and other memorable vehicles.

Although there is a lot of nightlife a block away, Hotel 10 usually hosts two parties on Friday and Saturday nights on its terrace. It is typical to see a line a block long to get into them and there is plenty to see! Being guests, we can have access to the parties that the hotel organizes there. I would never have guessed that we would party all night without leaving our hotel during F1 weekend in Montreal yet it has happened a few times here!

An important feature of the hotel is the secure parking underground. Our group self parks and we have a reserved row so we can all be next to each other. This was a key find for our group since a lot of us drive and need to have a safe place overnight.

They also have a Benz S Class courtesy car that we can use instead of cabs to get around the city. This comes in very handy.

There are plenty of expensive hotels in Montreal for race weekend. Most of them start at the $500/night range as does Hotel 10. Our group rate is about ½ this and includes Free Garage Parking and Breakfast. PM me and I can give you the details and contact info at the hotel. All reservations go directly through the hotel and you can book on your own.

Also, feel free to join us for any of the other activities if you would like. Our karting battles are the stuff of legend. Senna and Prost have nothing on us…HAHA.

I haven’t posted about it much in previous years and for no good reason. I certainly have no personal financial interest in the hotel, the trip or any of the activities. I only do this because I’m a natural organizer and enjoy seeing everyone have a good time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

LSJ

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    lashss

What day & time are you driving up? , do you have your route?
    Do you have a group itinerary, which F1 passes, what events and places to eat you plan on doing?

Do you have an idea when decision needs to be made before all is sold out?

Thanks, I would love to go but not sure right now...

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #17 lashss, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    We are driving up Thurs Jun 8 and returning Mon Jun 12. PM me for drive details. Feel free to join us and pick and choose events while we are up there.

Tentative Schedule is:

Thurs AM - Caravan
    Thurs PM- Crescent Street Happy Hour and Dinner (typically not reserved because of the different times everyone arrives.)

Fri AM- Track for F1 and Historic F1
    Fri PM - Little Italy Display (reserved parking)
    Fri PM - Karting Session (reserved parking)
    Fri Night - Dinner in the Old Port (no driving)

Sat AM- Track for F1 Quals, Historic F1, Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup
    Sat PM- Drive to Chambly for an outdoor dinner (reserved parking)

Sun AM- Karting School/Test and Tune (90 min private session)
    Sun PM- F1 Race and Post Race Party at the track
    Sun PM- Dinner in the Old Port

Final details and times TBA

I would say that race tickets should be purchased soon or you would have to check Stubhub.

https://www.circuitgillesvilleneuve.ca/en

The good hotels fill up fast. You might want to confirm the deadline for 100% hotel refund and make sure you cancel before then. I don't think you'd want to wait to book a hotel or you will end up far in the suburbs.

LSJ

18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Awesome, thanks for the reply.

couple more ques, if you suggest pm let me know.

How many of your crew do you have going? How many other people do you think will show up.
    Is the crowd couples or mixed or mostly guys
    What is average age?

Thanks

19. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    PM me and I can give you my phone number if you want.

I'm not sure on totals yet but we have 8 rooms booked at the hotel. I expect another 3-4 rooms to go. That would mean anywhere from 18-25 people total.

Dinners are usually 15-18. Karting - 6-10.

Mostly guys but we always have couples that come up every year. If you want to bring your wife/gf, she will definitely have a great time. If you come up alone or with a buddy, you could have an outstanding time.

Ages are late 20s to 50s. Everyone has similar interests - racing, F1, motorsports, business, cuisine, spirits, cigars, etc.

Most exotic car owners are abnormal. So, there is no shortage of interesting conversation with smart people.

LSJ

PS-We are absolutely hilarious too...FYI

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks.

If I do go , I would want to shadow you guys since I'd be by myself. I checked, there are still rooms, I'd be driving my 612 so I would want secure parking too. I would need to know what F1 ticket to buy. Plus I'd be interested in doing dinner and karting if possible.

I'll PM you in a few days.

Al

21. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    No problem, another newbie who is coming alone will also be joining us. When you do book the hotel, let me know beforehand and I will tell them to put you into my group. That way you get the special rate with parking and breakfast. They also will mark you down for *SELF* parking and not valet.

We'll get you into our row in the garage with our cars.

LSJ

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I made the hotel and grandstand reservations.

I'm psyched to check this out, thanks for the invite!

See you guys on the ride up...

:)

23. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Al, great to hear and glad you are coming.

Update - Race Tickets

While many in our group get General Admission (so we can walk around the paddock and infield), a few are sitting in Grandstand 24.

We usually convene at the Budweiser or Monster tent afterwards for a party.

LSJ

24. ItalianexoticsMIA

Apr 14, 2017
    Hey guys, 3 of us are trying to join in on your caravan up to Montreal from the NY area. We're in a 458, a Huracan and a Masarati. We would be leaving the NYC area. Is anybody leaving from that area on Thursday morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. ItalianexoticsMIA

Apr 14, 2017

Hey guys,

Three of us would like to join you guys leaving from NYC area. Anybody leaving from there on 6/8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk