F1 drivers should race classics... | FerrariChat

F1 drivers should race classics...

Discussion in 'F1' started by hercfe, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They would stuff the wonderful old cars!

Pete

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It won't be much more than a parade. Teams/sponsors probably not very keen on having their drivers risking injuries before getting into their real cars.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    To make it interesting again, the teams should be responsible for preparing the cars only.

Then a day before each race weekend all drivers names go in a hat, that would really mix it up and show who is the best constructor, and who is the best driver.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    What happens if drivers such as Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel have s:censored:t luck in the draw every weekend and end up in a Sauber, a McLaren or a Renault at the back of the field, whilst someone like Perez, Stroll or Grosjean hit the jackpot every race weekend and end up sat in a Mercedes, or a Ferrari, or a Red Bull at the front end of the field every weekend? - How would that demonstrate who the best driver is?

(Let's face facts here, as amply demonstrated by Fernando Alonso over the last couple of years: If you give a top driver an absolute pile of s:censored:te car, then they're not going to do very well in the races!)

Added to that, who's going to be paying the drivers wages? Do you really think Sauber could afford to pay for Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton to be sat in their car during a season? :confused:

You've really not thought this through have you?

(A bit like the fugnugget who wrote the linked article! :rolleyes: )

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Not a good idea.

Jim Clark was killed racing in Formula 2.

Even top notch Drivers need time to familiarize themselves with a car, whether old or new.

That is why Lance Stroll is on a steep learning curve.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think they should include vintage F-1 at all F-1 races, and invite former Stars to run the cars in an open "test" session on the Saturday after qualifying and then have an actual race by the current cars owners on the Sunday before the race. Points need to be awarded for number of laps in the lead, and how close you come an ideal time for the car - that way its not an out and out race ... the old cars are still much more dangerous than current cars, especially old turbo cars.

the current drivers need to do a "race of champions" deal on Friday - in Xbows, or fully enclosed cars provided by the various engine manufactures... Ferrari =Fiat, Renault, Honda, Mercedes, and any other company - they need to be 2 door saloon type cars. fully caged etc.. and max HP around 275.... and have them do a random lottery on car and starting position.

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How many of them would know what to do with a clutch pedal and a shift lever?

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    One shouldn't forget that vintage F1s are now almost priceless, and often bought by collectors as an investment.
    I cannot imagine all of them rejoicing at the thought of their expensive cars being trashed in competition by professional drivers of the modern age.

10. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Exactly...

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep, and what I meant with my post.

I think the story writer was meaning that modern drivers need to grow a pair like the older generation did and race in the rain with F all safety gear. This current crop are over protected and a bunch of nancy pancies ... but not all of that is their fault.
    Pete

12. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Not too many..

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Vintage racing is really dangerous. When I had my shop in the 90's we restored a 70's era F1 car. Your feet literally hang out the front of the car.

I can't see these guys risking it.

14. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    There's no way they would. It's more about actually being a "driver". I think it would be humbling, and some these kids definitely need to be humbled...

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This.

Not even that long ago either. Just look at the accidents in the mid-90s in F1 and IRL. Those cars would disintegrate. Stan Fox's crash at Indy was horrifying.

Go back farther and a lot of them have no rollover protection.

People should do whatever they want, but that's outside my acceptable risk.

16. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    The have been many dumb proposals pertaining to F1.

This is by far, the dumbest and most cluelessly arrogant proposals I have ever read.

"What I wonder, however, is why classic car owners don’t lend their prized cars....."

Clearly, despite going to many races, the writer does not understand what drives people to research, collect, restore and maintain classic cars.

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #20 PAUL500, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    I reference you Senna in a very underpowered Mclaren in the wet at Donnington. Many many more examples of good drivers in crap cars proving their worth.

Drivers would get a decent flat fee from the organisers (hell most would race for free anyway, its not about the money for the majority) they top this up with personal sponsorship on overalls and appearances etc, and they all also get a dedicated/ allocated space on each car they race, at each race for their own sponsors, so the better they perform whether it be either from the back to the middle or from the middle to the front depending on which car they randomly receive for that particular race, then their star status also rises along with their salary each season.

Racing would be constantly going on from the first to the last car on the grid, and throughout the entire race, not a boring 2 hr procession as has been the case for many years now.

The randomness of the driver/car allocation at each and every race, would over a season level itself out, the best driver would shine through, as would the best chassis over 20 or so races.

There would be no greater personal pride than for say Hamilton to drag a Sauber up from the back of the grid to end up dicing with say a Stroll in a Mercedes as he drops down it at the later stages of a race.

The next race weekend could then see Hamilton in a Red Bull and Stroll in a Ferrari.

I used to love seeing drivers battling for 5 and 6th place in the 70s and 80s and then see them beaming at the end for a job well done, even if it was just for one point.

So yes I have thought it through, unlike you, as I have done ever since I was in a wet Silverstone in 1978 as a 10 year old sat on the front wheel in the pits of a brand new Lotus 79 out for its debut in the Race of Champions.

Don't assume anything my friend.

The sport is dying, Brawn will shake it up with something radical soon enough.