McLaren approaches Mercedes RE: Engine switch - ESPN | FerrariChat

McLaren approaches Mercedes RE: Engine switch - ESPN

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    So far, just a rumor.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I heard about this yesterday. Mac has been dropping hints that they could be "winning" if the had the Merc motor.

But even if they did a switch over it would probably take months. I can't see it happening in mid season.

The only good thing is they have a lot of info on the old Merc engine so they might have a head start.

But what a blow it would be to Honda to have someone kick them out of F1!

3. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #4 Kiwi Nick, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    While the FIA has mandated that all F1 engines share common mounting points, everything else from cooling to MGU/Turbo and other system locations and cooling requirements are different. So, at a minimum, the rear of the car would need a redesign.

I say, let them do it. The 2017 season can tolerate a bit more drama.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep this is it. Mclaren still swears by their size zero concept which they've been trying to do since at least 2014 (still with Merc engines but didn't win either, partly due to heat issues if run at high power for too long).

Honda had to build their engine with Mclaren's size zero in mind, which IMO is part oft he reason why it simply doesn't work. They've not been able to build a working, reliable engine, yet Mclaren insists upon this size zero thing of theirs. I doubt it would work with whatever power unit that's around, to be honest.

I'm actually going as far as saying Mclaren is as much to blame as Honda for this. They're so focused on size zero they've lost sight of everything else. Size zero (ignoring heat) is not the answer to everything, you have to have the whole package working together to have a quick car that's able to compete for podiums/titles. Look at Williams for example, they've got a fatboy car yet have been solidly competing for 4th/3rd since 2014.

-------

Even if by some miracle they secure an engine in the next 7 days, they certainly won't be able to run it. The chassis needs a complete redesign, crash testing etc. So that's quite simply impossible already. And apart from that, once the season has started...I honestly don't know if the rules even allow an engine manufacturer swap at any point through the season, with the X engines max per season rules. For 2017, Mclaren is once again well and truly ****ed.

5. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I thought all the article say that Honda were the ones who have the hard on for the Size Zero method? The last article on Motorsport when as far as to say that the major issue is Honda not taking any advice from anyone including Mac and Simon.

6. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    When considering everything that Honda has brought to McLaren, the power units, sponsors, and money, can McLaren afford to become a customer team? Back when McLaren was winning races with Mercedes power, Mercedes was a vested partner, their factory involvement was focused with McLaren. Though they might be better off with Mercedes power, I doubt they would see the same development that Mercedes gives its factory team.

7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    They dropped 'size zero' after 2015. Even in 2015 Honda said it was not a request from McLaren but their own packaging target.

Last year the turbo size was accordingly increased to the maximum that would fit in the valley.

This year with the PU regulation 'blackbox' areas gone, they switched to the Merc layout. Which is also contributed to the oil tank issues, as it takes on an unusual shape as it has to wrap around the compressor. They were obviously not good enough to even get that right off the bat but least of their issues in the big picture.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's something to think about:

If they decided to switch they would have to drop out. As soon as the decision was made Honda would drop its support. That means no more engines and no more cash.

I think the FIA has penalties for this, right? At least liberty should. And Mac would still have to pay Alonso.

Can you imagine Honda wanting to see their engines dead each week for several months while Mac makes the switch? No freakin' way. They would cut the program immediately.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I asked on another thread if Mcl f1 was a separate entity from the road cars; I asked that question because if I ran Honda I'd buy McL F1 and spare my company the embarrassment of being thrown out of F1....

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's assuming McLaren would like to sell their F1 team.

Honda suffered the humiliation of failing in F1 before.

They don't put the same value to motor racing as a Western company would do.

For them, as long as you learn something and give a challenge to your engineers, it's a good thing.

Winning is the icing on the cake, of course, but not the only goal; learning is.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    BMW should buy Mac and get it over with.

Both the car and F1 team. They have the money.

Mac leaked Apple was looking at buying the car division last year. Apple played it down

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not in the current era does a sane person/company buy an F1 team. Wait for new rules to be announced, especially if engines rules look more promising (cheaper), THEN it's viable to enter, either as engine supplier or buying another team.

IF the engine rules are better (Liberty/Brawn want it well before FIA's 2020 date), it would be a decent one for BMW to supply engines to Mclaren. They can also get on with building a supercar that they're missing from their roster.

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    BMW should agree to supplying the McLaren F1 team as well as road cars with power units. It makes sense and certainly these discussions must be happening. At this point, would Mercedes really agree to supplying engines to McLaren when BMW is about to be producing their road car engines, on top of all the bad blood and messy divorce ....? I'm not sure Mercedes would agree to this.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To be treated like Sauber and be dropped like a hot potato in case of economic downturn?
    No !!

Big constructors are not good for F1.

They never stay for the long haul.

15. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Agreed on the road car side. And offer to buy a stake in the company.

F1 side is murky as Bas pointed out. It would take years to make a competent PU based on the current regs and current regs expire in 2020, with no roadmap yet of what lies beyond that.

If Merc or Renault want to walk away it's relatively straightforward. McLaren's situation is more complicated than the other manufacturer teams since it's racing operation is bundled with the other two businesses. And no mfr wants to be tied to an F1 team unless it's winning and at least somewhat revenue neutral based on prize money and sponsorship. It's a massive money pit otherwise and McLaren's future F1 success is anything but sure.

16. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Shouldn't Boullier be talking to his buddies at Renault about engines that are good enough for Red Bull?

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure if you saw the 2016 and 2017 Mclarens but both still have the size zero rear end...;)

18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #20 vinuneuro, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Can't say I can see any logic in BMW buying McLaren in any way shape or form!

Looking at the F1 side of things alone, the cost of buying the team, designing and developing a suitable power-unit, developing the car to make it competitive again, and running the team would put BMW into financial trouble as I see it.

Add in the cost of buying the road car division, and the costs of developing future supercars and hypercars, and it would put BMW in a very vulnerable position.

21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yup and as bas mentioned....wait till 2020 when Liberty Media takes over and a possible new formula is introduced.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Then why did VW buy Bugatti? BMW already owns RR and Bentley. Adding a high performance sports car to it's line up would make sense.

Besides, the Mac F1 car had a BMW engines so there is something there of a legacy to talk about. Now that Ron is gone the management might actually have some common sense. :)

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Can McLaren last that long? Without more sponsorship and prize money I can't see it.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    True but RR and Bentley are currently in the luxo touring car market which is BMW's forte. The Mac F1 is a naturally aspirated individual throttle bodied engine....these new PU + Hybrid are super complicated and expensive. Turbos are BMW's forte but I don't see them YET getting on these new PU + Hybrid engines.