F1 - 2107 GP Melbourne Predictions/Weather etc | FerrariChat

F1 - 2107 GP Melbourne Predictions/Weather etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Amazing -- the weather is predicted to be :) - https://weather.com/en-MT/weather/weekend/l/ASXX0075:1:AS

Formula1.com's Australia Track Info here - https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/races/2017/Australia.html Schumi owns the track record. I think that will fall this weekend but to which team/driver.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/16/mercedes-could-lose-lewis-hamilton-damon-hill-f1 - Why not a link to LH and his potential to leave Mercedes before silly season begins :)

The 'rubber meets the road' this weekend. Predictions will be fun to monitor. Max is saying Red Bull is not ready to win just yet and Ferrari are being very very quiet. Mercedes will bring the latest spec PU for all Mercedes teams.

Q -
    Kimi - Id like to see Kimi put Vettel under alot of pressure this year!!
    Vettel
    Bottas

Race -
    Kimi
    Bottas
    Vettel

2. DF1

3. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I will be excited liek a puppy come Sunday morning.

4. DF1

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    From Crashnet/F1:-

"Daniel Ricciardo has talked up Ferrari's chances ahead of this week's Australian Grand Prix, suggesting the Scuderia could well be the team to set the standard in Melbourne.

Whereas eyes were on Ricciardo and Red Bull ahead of pre-season testing following a return to form last season, it was Ferrari that emerged from testing with the most convincing pace over a single lap.

Raising anticipation that Ferrari has a car capable of challenging Mercedes, though drivers Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen have played down the 'accuracy' of its testing performance, Ricciardo reveals the SF70H was also fast over a race simulation too.

“It proves that Ferrari is quick, they have been quick all test, and they showed it on long runs as well. I don't think we were quick today, we will have some answers for that, but yes we didn't have the pace today, so yeah Ferrari looks strong.

“At the moment they look like they are pretty close to Mercedes pace if not on it. So it is going to make Melbourne interesting,

Meanwhile, Ricciardo says Red Bull is not on a par with either team yet but is satisfied to have a package that he thinks is capable of reaching the top with development.

“I think we will get there. I feel that it is in the car, it will be important to understand a bit more.”

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    MARCH 20, 2017

Pirelli's Isola agrees Ferrari in good shape

Ferrari is on the cusp of returning to the top in formula one.

That is the view of Mario Isola, who is taking over from Paul Hembery as the most prominent F1 figure representing the sport's official tyre supplier Pirelli.

He thinks the Italian marque has succeeded in making new, wider tyres that will contribute to this year's cars being much faster and more challenging to drive.

"Last year, the cars were reaching forces of 4G, but now we're measuring figures at about 6G, so we can say that the new racing cars are nearly fighter planes," Isola smiled to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I am sure the drivers will be tired at the end of the race which could lead to errors and opportunities for opponents to mount an attack."

But apart from that, Isola admits that the greater downforce could actually make overtaking more difficult.

"Yes. We have more durable tyres and more downforce, so we will see less tyre changes and the drivers will find it harder to follow a rival closely.

"But I want to emphasise the positive aspect," he insisted. "We will experience less overtaking moves, but the fans will feel that these overtaking moves will be more real."

Finally, Isola was asked about Ferrari, and the fact that the new regulations appear to have worked out well for the Maranello team.

"I don't know that, but it is clear to me that Ferrari is in good shape," he said.

"Even if it is normal that we don't see everything in the tests, I do believe that we have recognised in Barcelona the people that are strong.

"Personally, I would like to see a more complex fight for the world championship, and not just with Ferrari but also Red Bull and even an outsider like Williams," added Isola.

7. DF1

Id very much like to see this^

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    What time does the race start in the US?

Great anticipation to see if Ferrari can take Mercedes to the woodshed.

Robb

9. DF1

"There is an art to managing expectations. You must not set them too low - but you must also keep them under control. With new regulations, everyone starts with zero points. It provides opportunities as well as risks for every team on the grid.

Mercedes sound a bit nervous!!

Toto Wolff says Ferrari and Red Bull have closed gap to Mercedes | F1 News

"We have done the best job we possibly could over the winter and, if we are not the fastest in Melbourne, then it's about finding out why and what needs to be done to get us back to that top spot.

"It's a challenge we will take on with great motivation and energy. Setbacks can provide a long-term opportunity because you constantly need to improve yourself."

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A little optimistic:

Ferrari
    Ferrari
    Verstappen
    Ricciardo
    Bottas
    Hamilton lunches an engine

11. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    1AM Eastern

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Forza Ferrari!!!

13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I can't wait to see the red boys on the podium this coming Sunday!

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed 100%!!!

15. All NBCSN:

Fri - 00:00 1st pract delayed

0100 pract 2 live

Sat 0030 pract 3 delayed

0200 qual live

1030 qual replay

Sun 0000 pre-race

0030 race

Great guide; posted: major races in advance. practice and lesser races 2 days prior

TVRacer.com - TV Racing Schedule

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    "...Hamilton is the de facto No1 driver and Mercedes’ best shot at another title..."

But Mercedes is also Hamiltons best shot for another title so why does Hill think Mercedes does need Hamilton more than Hamilton needs Mercedes? Looking over the last 3 seasons and particularly the last one when Rosberg won would make me think that Mercedes is actualy in the better position! If Hamilton decides to leave (under the premise Mercedes does not fail this season) he might have more problems finding a similar replacement than Mercedes has finding a new driver...

17. DF1

+1 he is expendable as he is a driver. There is talent out there in FA and others who can EASILY replace him. No driver is a saint or above the totality of a team. LH is great...in the Mercedes. Without we saw him in a Mclaren with Button that had to push to stay in the top 3 and he was as accident prone as any other driver. Mercedes owe LH nothing more than they are giving him.

18. DF1

Formula 1: Champs and chumps: Andrew Benson?s (and your) season predictions - BBC Sport

Andrew's predictions

"Let's make one thing clear before we start - this is a bit of fun, based on not very much evidence at all. So let's not fall out if it's wrong.

"Having said that, pre-season testing did give some indications about how the year might shape up. No-one would be surprised if Mercedes turned up in Melbourne and blitzed everyone again. But it does not look that way right now. So assuming the picture so far is accurate, let's take a deep breath and jump in.

Top three drivers

1.Hamilton

2.Vettel

3.Ricciardo

"If the Mercedes and Ferrari are the two fastest cars, my money would be on Hamilton to beat Vettel to the championship.

"He's just that bit faster and better, as long as he can keep weekends such as Baku and Singapore last year to a minimum. It's a tough call between the two Red Bull drivers, but I've gone for Ricciardo to edge it just on the basis of last year.

'Verstappen's better than you, mate!' No, he's definitely not listening

"There was a sense of a momentum swing towards Verstappen at the end of 2016, though, both in races and in the pattern of qualifying. In which case the Dutchman could easily swing it."

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This first race is a bit of a lottery i think,too many unknowns, so expect some surprises.

Mercedes should win
    Ferrari should be on the podium
    Max should provide some serious entertainment!

20. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Honda to use up 3 engines over the week-end

21. DF1

That only covers Prac 1-2 and Qualy. Maybe 4?? :)

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    All in? You're being nice... Remember they're running 2 cars ;)

23. DF1

Ah so true LOL. They need a motor rebuild shop in the paddock lol :)

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #25 Bas, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017