SAUBER-HONDA | FerrariChat

SAUBER-HONDA

Discussion in 'F1' started by johngtc, Mar 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Sauber going from Ferrari to ... Honda ?

Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire !

Really hard to believe.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh good! Someone for Alonso to race with in 18th place!

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Thats a complete 180 from an engine perspective......Now the money aspect....free engines, money for payroll, all the perks that come lets say ala Ron Dennis's masterstroke deal with Honda????

4. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Lol

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Honda seeing that the Mclaren is showing signs of improvement,go with Sauber to ensure they finish last one way or another.

7. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Why not? They can't drop further back. A 2018 Honda surely permits more opportunity than a last year's Ferrari motor.
    And ontop massive backing from Honda or at least not paying for motors for a while.
    Add to that, that they will be direct partners to Honda, not purchasing what was built for another car.

All promising, if you ask me. Sauber could benefit big time from Honda being so miserable for the last to years. If Honda is committed to a future in F1, they surely are committed to one day building a suitable PU.

I would like to see Sauber with a strong partner and I would like to see a strong Sauber team with a strong Honda PU. I would also like to see a strong McLaren back with the front of the pack.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 good points.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Kaltenborn at Sauber tries to deny the deal, saying nothing will change in 2017.
    Maybe there won't be no engine swap this season, and Sauber will start to be Honda-powered (and financed) only in 2018.

Where will that leave McLaren is the big unknown at the moment. Will they "share" the Honda engine with Sauber after suffering 3 years of development with it, or will they have another engine.

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    What are they smoking? Now they will also have to worry about engine problems in addition to chassis and aero.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have to say Monisha appears to be clueless, how and why she is running a F1 team is beyond me. Perhaps she could replace Todt?

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The Sauber - Honda deal has been confirmed today: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-confirms-sauber-f1-engine-deal-for-2018-900064/

Interestingly, there's no mention of any thanks to Ferrari, who in the last couple of years have at least made it possible for Sauber to remain in F1, despite their financial problems due to a lack of sponsors.

Whilst this deal will allow Sauber to run a more up to date power-unit, if Honda keep struggling with their power-units into 2018 and beyond (as they have since 2015), then this deal could actually spell the end of Sauber.

I wonder if part of this situation has come about because Ferrari are tired of having to spend time and energy on having to keep running out of date power-units for Sauber? Apart from some small revenue, supplying year old power-units is of little real interest to Ferrari as they are no longer of any relevance to their own power-units.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Has to be free engines from Honda.

Reckon Honda wants their boy Matu****a in the seat.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Totally agree.

It may be that Honda get their act together and it turns out to be a great deal for Sauber.

By the same token though, there is a massive gamble element to it for the Swiss team, where, if the Honda power-unit continue to be as poor as the 2015~2017 power-units have been, then they will be guaranteed to be "out of the points also-rans", who then struggle to get sponsors on-board, and they will become F1's new Manor Racing.

The harsh reality is, without some sort of special engine deal being in place (discounted year old engines, or a free supply of engines), Sauber cannot really afford to compete in F1 any more!

Their performances were poor even when they had an up to date engine in the car, and have got worse with cheaper year old engines, the sponsors have been leaving the team in their droves, new sponsors aren't interested in being linked with the team, and now they are hoping Honda will give them a life-line to remain in F1.

Today's announcement is being hailed by Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn as though this Honda deal is the second coming of Christ, the answer to all their prayers, but based on Honda's recent record, all I can see is the vultures starting to circle up in the sky!

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The way RBR thanked Reno? :eek:

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Honda simply have to get their **** together. They cannot grow the number of teams they supply if they continue to be below par.

I've heard they are now hiring external resources so by 2018 they should be considerably better, but I am not expecting any great improvements this year. I see this only happening after they start again with a completely new engine. I believe this is part of the problem with this years PU, ie. they have kept trying to make a piece of **** work well. Scrap it Honda, scrap it and start again.

Pete

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Without Ferrari agreeing to supply year old engines a couple of years back, Sauber were gone!

They were desperate, with no money to spare and Ferrari threw them a life line to keep going.

They didn't have to do it for Sauber, but they gave the Swiss team their only chance to remain in F1, so a little thank you to Ferrari wouldn't have gone amiss.

I'm sure there will be some sort of thank you later on, but it could have been included in today's statement because Sauber owe Ferrari a lot as I see things!

19. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    It wasn't Monisha that typed that article, it was a journalist. She may well have explicitly thanked Ferrari but they didn't bother to fill it into the article...

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sink or swim isn't it. Sauber can't afford finishing last much, Mclaren sort of can (more money).

Every since Monisha has come at the helm of that team they've been leaping from disaster to disaster...

21. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    More like into the kiln! :eek:

This will end in tears....

22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Poor Sauber. :(

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    this is exactly what I was thinking...I wouldn't be surprised if Honda is *giving* them money to take their engines at this point.

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    From a 1 year old Ferrari engine to a fresh new Honda one, every other session. Seems a pretty good deal to me!