Malaysia gone - France returns in 2018 | FerrariChat

Malaysia gone - France returns in 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Apr 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Buh bye. I've never liked this track.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Funnily enough I love this track. Only downside is during heavy rain and the river that flows...

Really weird to think it's been almost 20 years since their first race! I still remember watching the 2001 race as a 12 year old and my heart dropping when both Schumacher and Barrichello fell off at the same corner when it started raining, both just missing the wall...then Verstappen running 2nd and in the end the Ferrari's taking a 1-2 still. Unbelievable.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I'm sad that Sepang is going,have been there for quite a few F1 races and also lower formula/GT cars and of course Moto GP.

It is a great track and has produced some superb racing over the years.The ticket cost has been amazingly low by European standards.Where else can you get a 3 day earlybird ticket (F grandstand)with a really good view of the track including the start finish line, including after race concerts ,for $50?

The race has been a big loss maker ,supported by the Government ,but they finally decided enough was enough.

Anyhow it is worth the trip if anyone get's chance.

5. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I also like Sepang. It'll be cool to have France back but losing Sepang to get it is a bummer.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It is difficult to believe that it's been around for 19 years. If someone would have asked me I wouldn't have guessed it's been that long. In some regards after 19 years, like the track or not, it has it's own F1 history now, however getting France back alone is enough for the sacrifice, let alone both France and Germany, that's a great trade.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Certainly getting 2 European tracks back is great, no doubt!

Personally I'd get rid of Sochi or Shanghai (both in remote holes) in return for Sepang, lol.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I certainly agree on Sochi. Shanghai maybe, I actually like that track.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes was a bit apprehensive of naming Shanghai as it's provided good racing. Think my judgement was a bit clouded as I'd quite like to visit the Malaysian GP, but not the Chinese one.

Funnily enough I quite like Russia but Sochi is just so far out of the way I'd never think of visiting that race. They should have a track near in St Petersburg or Moscow, I'd love to go there.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Liberty tearing up Bernie's asian strategy.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Meh, Malaysia already said last year they weren't interested anymore.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A brilliant move, bravo!

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Liberty wants to move more events to Europe.

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Back to the roots. The only right strategy.

15. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Shame to lose Malaysia. Maybe indicative of Petronas' long-term interest in F1 as well.

16. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    The only right and sustainable strategy is to find venues and promoters that are able to host a race without government subsidies. If the fee needs to come down to make that happen, then so be it.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And I love them for it. I'm very happy with Liberty so far, they really want to do the right things. Doesn't seem like a short term project this which is wonderful.
    +1

18. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    The Sepang Circuit is a terrific track, but locally there is little interest in F1, and its not a destination for the traditional jet set type that the F1 fan base is known for. Going forward the track will do much better with MotoGP then it could ever hope to do with F1.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm liking Liberty. Bernie went Asian simply for money not the health of F1. Liberty seem to understand, although early days, that F1 is actually a sport not a financial/wealth company.

Pete

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Sad to see sepang go. I liked that track. Hopefully they will kill off Sochi and Bahrain soon. Plus Hungary. Hate that track.

Good to see the euro classics coming back though.

21. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I love Hungary but it fails to provide thrilling races. A Monaco without buildings.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agreed.

I love the Hungaroring. Great track. Just make sure you have a good seat if you visit and don't try GA.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Also agreed, Hungaroring would be a massive loss IMO. Though I do think the track needs updating, by way of making the straight quite a bit longer and copying T1. It's not just now but always, the straight has been just too short for overtaking when dry. There's space easily, so adding a few hundred meters onto it would be easy.

24. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Good riddance to Malaysia. Agree with others about dropping more middle east tracks, and Hungary too (it's much too slow, and should be replaced with A1 ring).

Also would like the season pared down to 17 or 18 races, and not go into the month of November.