Wehrlein Set For Bahrain Return | FerrariChat

Wehrlein Set For Bahrain Return

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    APRIL 11, 2017

Relieved Wehrlein set for Bahrain return

Pascal Wehrlein will make his return to the Sauber cockpit this weekend in Bahrain.

That is the claim of the Munich newspaper TZ, even though it was thought possible Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi will stay in the car for now despite his Shanghai crashes.

German Wehrlein has reportedly been training hard to recover his flagging fitness following a winter back injury.

"My back was extremely compressed in the crash and there were three small hairline fractures in the area of the thoracic vertebrae," the 22-year-old told TZ.

"A normal person could have resumed his job after a few days, but this is not the case with a professional athlete," added Wehrlein.

So when asked how relieved he is to be back in action in Bahrain this weekend, he answered: "Very.

"After some special training in Salzburg, I feel ready now."

So despite the waves of recent speculation, it appears that Wehrlein's F1 and Sauber career is now back on track -- perhaps not only for 2017 but also beyond.

Wehrlein answered: "As long as I am under contract to Mercedes, they will decide about my future. But if it was up to me, I could imagine driving for longer with Sauber."

2. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Well, I would like to see Giovinazzi driving one more time...

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Would have been nice to see him over a normal (weather and practice time) weekend but in my opinion he really didn't do his reputation much good last week. If Pascal has a good weekend, Giovi will be soon forgotten.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Wehrlein wasn't too bad in qualifs, for his first time in a Sauber.
    He immediately outclassed Ericcson.

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    +1. After all the negative press, it would be fair to say that he outperformed expectations on quali. Well done to him.

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The whirly-bird did just fine in qualifying. Let's see how does over the race distance.

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And he did well in the race. It looks like Gio's season is over.