Turkey COULD return in 2018... | FerrariChat

Turkey COULD return in 2018...

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    After the July 2016 Turkish coup d'état attempt, Turkey is currently far too unstable to host a Grand Prix.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I saw the pictures yesterday of Chasey Carey and that Erdogan character. I honestly thought F1 was late with their April 1st joke! Great track but wtf? Bernie has gotten a lot of stick for hosting GP talks in far more stable countries. Erdogan only last week told us that the entirety of western Europe are Nazi's. He's refused entry to hotels and the country for Germans and Dutch people...yet they want to race here? How many german and Dutch drivers and media is out there in F1 atm?

4. Emre11

Emre11 Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    Turkey has experienced some critical and unpleasent incidents in the last couple of years, but it is not as unstable as you think it is. Security measures were enhanced, and people are far more cautious than they were before. Unstability is still present, not in capital cities like İstanbul or Ankara but in the eastern part of Turkey.

These things happen in Germany, Belgium or France, too. We just have to be careful and prudent. In addition, Turkish supporters have been longing for F1 in İstanbul for a long time. The atttendance was kinda low back in the days, but the interest in F1 has grown in Turkey, and Turkish supporters are organizing themselves to attend the GP in İstanbul if İstanbul Park returns.

Let's hope F1 brings us together again (Btw, I'm a Turkish person).

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Good to know with regards to security enhancement. I realize thats its(Istanbul) a "hub" for terrorists organizations coming and going in and out of European Countries as I am privy to such info. I hope they really beef up security even more-so at an F1 venue IF it opens there.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Two reasons for the Turkish GP failing were:

1) The high fees required to put the race on.
    2) The general lack of interest in F1 in Turkey and the lack of any meaningful crowds attending the race because of it.

What's changed? :confused:

7. Emre11

Emre11 Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    I really hope so. I don't think they will leave any threat to chance considering how great and impactful F1 is.

8. Emre11

Emre11 Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    1) As much as I heard, new management does not demand a fee as high as what Bernie demanded. The government also did not like his attitude.

2) As I mentioned, interest has grown quite remarkably. And those interested people know F1 stuff.

9. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Love the track but Turkey has plenty of spillover from Assyria right now, I thought Bahrain was risky, but Turkey would be asking for trouble I think

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A PR exercise for Erdogan ?

He surely needs it !!!