Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Racing & Tracking > F1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: William Denoyelles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
I hope they aren't planning on calling it a McLaren Honda. That would be a fraud.
I think they are!

McLaren is apparently backing up the Andretti team entry.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
I think they are!

McLaren is apparently backing up the Andretti team entry.
McLaren will contribute nothing to the success of this venture other than the cost of the entry. That's the reality of it this late in the game and with zero experience in Indycar. They are best served to let Andretti run the show.

I could see McLaren contributing some mechanics to turn wrenches on the car at the direction of an Andretti engineer. I doubt they will even have their mechanics do the pit stops either. The pit stops are so much different than F1, I can't see them getting up to speed in time.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
McLaren will contribute nothing to the success of this venture other than the cost of the entry. That's the reality of it this late in the game and with zero experience in Indycar. They are best served to let Andretti run the show.

I could see McLaren contributing some mechanics to turn wrenches on the car at the direction of an Andretti engineer. I doubt they will even have their mechanics do the pit stops either. The pit stops are so much different than F1, I can't see them getting up to speed in time.
I didn't mention in my post late last night, but Zak Brown said the mechanics they're sending to Indy do have previous experience in Indycar.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamF1Jr View Post
Alonso Indy news from Trackside radio show in Indy:

-Per Zak Brown, while it's still Andretti Autosport with Michael driving the bus, there will be a "small crew" of McLaren mechanics traveling with Fernando for the 500, he will also have technical support from the McLaren Technical Center on the car (that aspect has me intrigued)
McLaren makes the ECU used on all Indy cars. Their added involvement may be more disturbing than intriguing.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-20-2017, 01:12 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
McLaren makes the ECU used on all Indy cars
And used to, or still do?, for F1.
Pete
Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamF1Jr View Post
I didn't mention in my post late last night, but Zak Brown said the mechanics they're sending to Indy do have previous experience in Indycar.
Oh - that's cool. Maybe they will actually do stops then.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
And used to, or still do?, for F1.
Pete
The current one: ECU (Engine Control Unit): McLaren Applied Technologies TAG 400i

Verizon IndyCar Series Car Specifications

But you aren't allowed to change anything in the ECU so...
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
McLaren makes the ECU used on all Indy cars. Their added involvement may be more disturbing than intriguing.
Ha! I didn't consider that...

...but I bet Penske and Ganassi have ; )
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

If they are allowed to all that car a "McLaren" then any car can be called anything. You might was well call Toro Rossa Ferrari.

That would be a travesty and an insult to the people of both McLaren and Dallara who I think make the chassis.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
If they are allowed to all that car a "McLaren" then any car can be called anything. You might was well call Toro Rossa Ferrari.

That would be a travesty and an insult to the people of both McLaren and Dallara who I think make the chassis.
Maybe McLaren would be ahead to subcontract chassis construction to Dallara.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:

Was it not the tradition at Indy to call the cars by the names of their sponsors?

When you look at Indy results, that's often the sponsor name that was prominent.

Like the "DEAN VAN LINES SPECIAL", or the "BARDHAL" or the "OLSONITE-OFFY", or the "HOTEL TROPICANA SPECIAL", or the "LEADER CARDS SPECIAL", etc... without mentioning the chassis manufacturer, Huffaker, Kurtis, Watson, etc...

So what would be the problem for a McLaren-sponsored Dallara-Honda to be called "MCLAREN_HONDA" ?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Was it not the tradition at Indy to call the cars by the names of their sponsors?

When you look at Indy results, that's often the sponsor name that was prominent.

Like the "DEAN VAN LINES SPECIAL", or the "BARDHAL" or the "OLSONITE-OFFY", or the "HOTEL TROPICANA SPECIAL", or the "LEADER CARDS SPECIAL", etc... without mentioning the chassis manufacturer, Huffaker, Kurtis, Watson, etc...

So what would be the problem for a McLaren-sponsored Dallara-Honda to be called "MCLAREN_HONDA" ?

So let's call the Lotus 38 a "Ford"

The car is built by Dallara. McLaren maybe the sponsor but it's false advertising if they try to associate their name with the chassis builder. The proper naming would be McLaren Honda Dallara. McLaren the sponsor, Honda the engine maker and Dallara the chassis maker.

Can you imagine the outrage here on Fchat if Ferrari sponsored an Indy car and it was called the Ferrari-Chevrolet?

Last edited by TheMayor; 04-20-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
So let's call the Lotus 38 a "Ford"

The car is built by Dallara. McLaren maybe the sponsor but it's false advertising if they try to associate their name with the chassis builder. The proper naming would be McLaren Honda Dallara. McLaren the sponsor, Honda the engine maker and Dallara the chassis maker.

Can you imagine the outrage here on Fchat if Ferrari sponsored an Indy car and it was called the Ferrari-Chevrolet?
There was no "outrage" before for the practice I already mentioned.

I am not sure, wasn't the Ferrari A. Ascari drove at Indy in 53 called the "BARDHAL SPECIAL" ?

Also, the "SHERATON-THOMPSON" were Mickey Thompson low like racers.

The "BRYANT Special" was a BRP.

The "XEREX SPECIAL" was in fact a Cooper, and the "PACESETTER SPECIAL" a Lotus by another name.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
There was no "outrage" before for the practice I already mentioned.

I am not sure, wasn't the Ferrari A. Ascari drove at Indy in 53 called the "BARDHAL SPECIAL" ?

Also, the "SHERATON-THOMPSON" were Mickey Thompson low like racers.

The "BRYANT Special" was a BRP.

The "XEREX SPECIAL" was in fact a Cooper, and the "PACESETTER SPECIAL" a Lotus by another name.
You refer to a bygone age. Today they name the cars by the sponsors, the engine and the chassis

For example: Marboro Chevrolet Penske

Marboro the sponsor, Chevrolet the engine maker and Penske the chassis maker.

In this case, Marboro or McLaren are just a label slap having nothing to do with the production of the car or chassis.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Nigel
Quote:
No Ferrari entries at the 1953 Indianapolis race.

Entries for the 1952 Indianapolis race:-

1) Car # 2) Driver 3) Team 4) Chassis 5) Engine 6) Tire

1) #6
2) Walt Faulkner
3) Grant Piston Ring / Agajanian
4) Ferrari 375 S
5) Ferrari 4.5L V12
6) Firestone

1) #12
2) Alberto Ascari
3) Scuderia Ferrari
4) Ferrari 375 S
5) Ferrari 4.5L V12
6) Firestone

1) #35
2) Johnny Mauro
3) Kennedy Tank
4) Ferrari 375 S
5) Ferrari 4.5L V12
6) Firestone

1) #38
2) Bobby Ball
3) Howard Keck
4) Ferrari 375 S
5) Ferrari 4.5L V12
6) Firestone
Old 04-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Nigel
Quote:
I looked it up. It was Giuseppe Farina and Johnny Baldwin that entered the 1956 Indianapolis race.

1) #9
2) Giuseppe Farina
3) Bardahl - Ferrari
4) Kurtis Kraft 500D
5) Ferrari 446 4.5L L6
6) Firestone

1) #91
2) Johnny Baldwin
3) Bardahl - Ferrari
4) Ferrari 375 S
5) Ferrari 375 4.5L V12
6) Firestone
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 AM
F1 Rookie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEP View Post
I looked it up. It was Giuseppe Farina and Johnny Baldwin that entered the 1956 Indianapolis race.

1) #9
2) Giuseppe Farina
3) Bardahl - Ferrari
4) Kurtis Kraft 500D
5) Ferrari 446 4.5L L6
6) Firestone

1) #91
2) Johnny Baldwin
3) Bardahl - Ferrari
4) Ferrari 375 S
5) Ferrari 375 4.5L V12
6) Firestone
Correct. Neither qualified.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:

It implies they built the car, which they have not. It's an Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

It's an "Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda, sponsored by McLaren (in an attempt to keep their disgruntled #1 driver from jumping ship in the midst of another lost season)".

Something tells me that that entire description won't fit into the official program.

BTW, Nando is in Alabama this weekend getting to know the team. May 3, he will be testing at Indy. Presumably, he will be doing both along with a few McLaren support people
Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Only problem I see for Alonso (the guy just has bad luck. Ha ha) is an F1 test driver that never made it to F1 (Alexander Rossi), won the Indy500 on his first shot last year... and also with Andretti. The chances of Alonso winning are pretty slim (heck, neither Michael nor Marco have won it), and if he's worried about his reputation, a rookie winning and him, a 2-time world champion that couldn't, wouldn't sound great. We'll see.
Non-Sponsor Ads