Why can't Ferrari hire Newey? | FerrariChat

Why can't Ferrari hire Newey?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ren0312, Apr 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Why? They managed to hire Brawn and Bryne? Why can't they give Newey to good enough package to move to Ferrari? I am sure $$$$$$$$$ is not an issue.

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Newey does not want to move to Italy and Ferrari does not want to move the factory to Newey...

3. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    I believe he was asked to come to Ferrari in the past but he declined.

And by the way RB is paying him 12m a year or thereabouts.

Plus Ferrari seems to have done a very good job in catching up with Mercedes, more so than RB, so why hire Newey....

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    From Motorsport Magazine Editor.

5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Very interesting.

Really badly handled by Ferrari.

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    LOL.....

I realize there are alot of variable's here: location being one of them.

7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I did'nt know that.....thanks

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    1) Adrian Newey takes great satisfaction in being the one person who has beaten Ferrari more times than any other individual in F1 history, be they drivers or designers - That is his legacy, so he simply doesn't really want to go there.

2) Newey has handed over most of the design responsibilities at Red Bull over to the rest of the design team, and he basically overseas what the design team are doing, whilst concentrating more on other work/projects - He's no longer interested in concentrating all of his time designing the entire car.

This can be seen in how relatively unadventurous the 2017 Red Bull has been. Rather than making clever use of the new aero regulations, as both Mercedes and Ferrari have, Red Bull have gone with a more simple design principle of having less drag in order to be faster in a straight line. The 2017 Ferrari in particular is far more adventurous aero-wise than the Red Bull, and Ferrari have got it working well due to excellent integration.

And that leads us nicely to:

3) For 2017, Ferrari simply don't need him!

(I bet Newey would quite like to be at Ferrari right now - Not to be able to help them with their 2017 campaign though, but to be able to find out just how clever their design is. I suspect that deep down, he's quite impressed/intrigued with the 2017 Ferrari and how it's aero package works!)