Alonso to Renault again? | FerrariChat

Alonso to Renault again?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso in shock Renault return? | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

Fernando Alonso could return to Renault for a third spell with reports claiming that initial talks took place over the Bahrain GP weekend.

With yet another Honda engine issue scuppering his chances of a good qualifying around the Sakhir circuit, Alonso is believed to be looking outside McLaren-Honda for a 2018 season.

The Spaniard has already stated that he wants to be with a team that can “win races and titles” as fighting for “fifth or sixth” places is not what he is here for.

Enter Renault, the team with whom he won back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006.

Although they have not won since, the French manufacturer has taken strides forwards in recent years and are believed to be keen on bringing the double World Champion on board.

According to German publication Bild: “The French team has a serious interest in the Spaniard, first talks have already taken place.

“Renault wants the return of tthe veteran and to make him Nico Hülkenberg team-mate in 2018.”

2. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    He's said that for 2018 he will only settle for a race winning/Championship winning seat in F1, and I simply can't see that being Renault next year TBH!

There's also talk of him offering to drive for Mercedes on a "pay when you win basis", just to get into the car, which to Me seems far more likely to be true.

If he genuinely will only settle for a race/Championship winning car for next season then he will only be talking to Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull as I see it.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Pretty insulting to Palmer though...

then again..... :)

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes but the problem he's got is that there's reasons for each of those three teams not to take him (previous with Hamilton, previous with Ferrari and Red Bull don't tend to take drivers from outside their own driver programme). Renault at least look like they're going forwards right now.

Ha! I think I might have a bet on Palmer not being there next year. A second slower than Hulkenburg in qualifying then stupidity to knock off part of his front wing in the race etc.

Jonathan

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    But they're not going forward enough to be race/Championship winners in 2018, so they're not going to meet Alonso's criteria.

(Do you honestly see them beating Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull next season?)

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    No, I don't. But ultimately he would have to decide whether he wants to carry on racing in F1 (which I think he does) and drive for another team if he can't get a seat at one of those three and I am saying I think each of the top three teams has good reasons why they won't take him. Renault also has some attraction for him, I would think (and he for them), because he was successful there before. That said, there is a while to go yet and lots of things could happen between now and the end of the season.

Jonathan

7. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    If he leaves I expect McLaren Honda to be competitive shortly after lol. No way Mercedes take him. Bottas in Bahrain showed he is maintaining his seat for next year. Enough to stay near Hamilton but will fold his hand as soon as he is told to.

8. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Alonso is gone for sure. Just listen to him. I think Button will return full time next year with the team.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Not sure if he wants to drive that crap..

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If he does well at Indy...

11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Renault is making strides, the engine is doing well in the red bull. I could see him winning a 3rd there. They're making good progress and had both cars running well. It's only the third race and both drivers made it to q3.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that Button is done as a full time F1 driver, he is enjoying his life in California.

13. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Renault, with Bob Bell as TD, will be a championship contending team again in the next few years. It would be a wise move if Merc isn't open but who knows if he has the patience to wait.

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think Renault is the only viable option right now,but then he could also 'waste' another couple of years there.

I hope he wins at Indy then heads off into the sunset of WEC,even there he cannot guarantee to win it all though.

There are plenty of driver's coming through who would give their right bo$$ock to take his seat at McHonda,even with a cra$ PU for about 1% of Nando's ridiculous salary.

Fernando it's time to go!

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Given Renault also make their PU do they want him to constantly publicly criticise their power too?

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    When Lewis left contender McLaren for mid-pack Mercedes, everyone thought he was crazy.....you never know. (Renault)

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hope so!

Pete

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Man some of you just hate the guy ... I'm absolutely sure if you or I were in his situation we would be just as vocal.

Pete

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, I just find him very unprofessional.

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    +1.

Alonso is doing his career no good repeatedly badmouthing his employer. If I hire a public voice for my brand,… they must paint me in the best light no matter what.

Does the Renault Board need to approve driver's or is it purely a team principle decision? If the Board is involved,… I am sure there will be discussion of wether Alonso is worth the risk.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yep, I will agree with that.

Someone who drives for a constructor is seen as the brand ambassador, and Alonso has shown complete disrespect for his present employer (Honda).
    Criticisms have to be made behind closed doors, and not aired in public.

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The difference is, Mercedes became a major success in F1 in part because they threw $300 Million+ per season at it, Renault are not going to spend that sort of money for success!

Alonso made the exact same sort of gamble by leaving Ferrari to join McLaren/Honda - And that gamble hasn't worked out quite as well as Hamilton's, has it?

Again, Alonso has said that for 2018 he wants a race winning/Championship winning car - Not for 2019, 2020, 2021 etc., etc., etc., he has said he wants a race winning car for 2018!

I'll make a prediction for you:

Renault will not leap frog Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull in 2018, and they will not be in regular contention for race wins or a Championship win!

(And I seriously doubt that they will leap frog all three of those teams in the next 5 years either!)

Alonso going to Renault would just see him doing the exact same thing in 2018 as he is currently doing at McLaren, going through the motions with no chance of winning a race, and getting more fed up with it all.

Yes Renault would at least keep him in F1, but according to Alonso, that is simply not enough for him!

If he re-signed for McLaren for 2018, he would also still be in F1, and he'd be able bugger off and do some other form of racing every time he got bored with F1 yet again (Indy racing/Le Mans/Banger racing at Wimbledon/The Red Bull Soap Box Challenge/Scalextric racing etc., etc., etc.) - I seriously doubt that Renault would allow him to do that!

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He's actually one of my all time favourites. I'd really like to see him winning again

24. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    I think Renault would be a good fit, its a factory team, they can afford to pay him...

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I must say that I am no fan of Alonso.

He has proven to be toxic in any team he drove for, and has a stinking attitude.

He don't get on with his team, or he don't get on with his team mate, or he don't get on with his car and then don't get on with his engine, and everybody has to hear about it again and again.

Frankly, the guy has an attitude problem.