Perez to Ferrari in 2018 ? | FerrariChat

Perez to Ferrari in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Apr 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Alonso poorly advised in his F1 career - Horner

Perez to Ferrari in 2018?

They say that consistent action creates consistent results, and one only needs to look at Force India's Sergio Perez for validation of that claim.
    Since last years' German Grand Prix, the Mexican has scored points in 16 successive races, demonstrating his qualities not only as a racer, but first and foremost as a finisher, much to the joy of his team which collected a very prosperous fourth-place finish in the Constructors' championship in 2016..
    The 27-year-old is still hoping to put himself in the line of sight of a top team next season, and he's partly banking on his consistency to do so.
    "I think that across the teams, they are realizing now, my stats and the job I have been doing for the last few years," Perez told Reuters' Alan Baldwin.
    "I have grown a lot and certainly feel that I am doing a fantastic job together with the team and we are growing and doing great things together."
    In hindsight, Perez still considers his unfortunate experience with McLaren back in 2013, a spell from which many believed he would never recover, as a blessing in disguise.
    "Given where McLaren is, and what’s happened in my career since I left McLaren, pretty much my career has been on a high," he said.
    The Mexican will be a free agent in 2018 when his contract with Force India runs out. And while the Silverstone-based outfit would love to keep their Mexican draped in pink next season, there is a chance Perez could find himself wrapped in red over at the House of Maranello from where Kimi Raikkonen will likely depart.
    "I am in a very good moment of my career where if the opportunity comes I think I will be ready with my knowledge and experience to really make the most of it," Perez confidently says.
    "It will be really a question of if it comes or not, but right now I feel really ready in all the aspects and especially having that bad moment at McLaren.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It depends what Ferrari want.

If they want a quick number 2 their choices are IMO:

Hulkenberg
    Perez
    Raikkonen

All 3 have speed and marketability.

If they want a very serious challenger to Vettel (I still don't see the point in having someone in the team to make it uncomfortable for their #1):

Ricciardo (also very marketable because he's part Italian)
    Verstappen (I actually think he'll be better than Vettel, which defies the point of paying Vettel 50 million)
    Alonso (guaranteed fireworks)

Personally I'd be happy with either of the #2s, if they have to have someone to challenge Vettel, I'd think Ricciardo. Verstappen I just can't see happening just yet without Vettel leaving (and why would he?).

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would think that Ferrari wants a quick Number 2 who gathers points and don't challenge Vettel.

If they don't keep Raikkonen, Perez is an obvious choice, IMO.
    That could also arrange him since Force India's future is uncertain after Mallya's arrest.

Hulkenberg has just joined Renault, so I don't see him changing team so soon.

I really don't believe that Ferrari would at this point recruit drivers of the calibre of Verstappen and Ricciardo; that would be undermining Vettel, and create tension within the team when it's not needed.

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Giovinazzi.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't see him ready yet for a permanent seat at Ferrari.

Getting experience in another team would be better for him before being promoted at the Scuderia, if ever ...

The placement at Sauber was ideal, but it seems over. Well, unless Sauber pit Ericsson aside to make room for him.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Ferrari never hire ''unproven'' guys. I hope they'll be able to place him somewhere where he can mature and then get the bump up.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To be honest, there aren't many "minnow teams" left!!

No more Caterham, or Manor.

Only Sauber and Force India maybe.

Toro Rosso is Red Bull staircase.

Mind you, at this rate, a seat at McLaren will be worse than one at Sauber soon ...

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ricci, Perez, Hulk.....in that order as a support #2.

Max would definitely push Vettel....would be quite the team-mate battle and question who is the #1 driver. Hey it's F1 when it comes, IF these two were to be team-mates, to Ferrari........OH! and pit babes because........well just because.

9. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    What about Sainz, or even Grosjean? (As a support #2.)

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Perez would be my best bet...i think he's a lot beter then just a number 2....Ricci would be perfect..but he's probably as good as Seb...

11. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    +1

He's the kind of experienced and consistent driver that Ferrari like.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Grosjean has said in the past that he would like to drive for Ferrari one day.

Maybe he took a seat in the Ferrari-powered HAAS thinking that it was the next best thing to a Ferrari?

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

and

+1

14. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Grosjean openly complains about the car far more vocally than Ferrari would ever tolerate. For that reason alone doubt he's even being considered.

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I am fine with Perez

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We are glad to have your approval on that !!

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I´d love to see another Ricciardo-Vettel year.
    This would answer the question whether Ricci beating Vettel was a one-off or whether he is really better as some think. I personally doubt that it would be the same outcome as it was in 2014 but we never know until it happens...
    What makes me wonder how Ricciardo will react when he is constantly outraced by Max, whether he will accept being No.2 or whether he will leave Red Bull.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ricci is not better than Seb. Vettel either lacked motivation that year or it was deliberate to get out of the contract. Max will dominate Ricci this year

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think that it took some time for Vettel to get used to the hybrid formula.

A different style of driving is required, that involves fuel saving, lift and coast, etc...

Some adapted very quickly to it, where it took sometime for others to feel at ease with it.

Ricciardo seemed to mastered the technique before Vettel, and put him in the shade by winning 3 GPs that year to the German none.

But Vettel has now adapted to the new technology and has regained his composure.

I think that's the explanation for Vettel lacklustre 2014 season , and maybe why he decided to move to Ferrari when his 4 titles were recent, and his market value still intact.

I am glad he did. He is a very good driver, IMO.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, when Rosberg comes back next year (like we all know he will) does he end up
    at Red Bull then?

BHW

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting analysis. You might be right.

Either way I don't use that year as a measuring stick.

That said I like Ricci and think he is super fast but not on the same level.

Seb is one of the GOAT which is easily evidenced by his many titles.

Part of what makes this season so cool is that we will see stunning F1 history in the making: Either Lewis reaching the Prost/Vettel plateau or Seb standing next to Fangio.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    More like Force India

And he will never be back.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Vettel came from a car that had a huge amount of rear downforce, to a car that suddenly had very little (in comparisson). This was partially due to the new cars, new techniques and no more fancy exhausts blowing the diffuser or creating funny effects that gave the car more rear downforce...he adapted his driving style to perfection with such rear downforce.

Ricciardo had a much more neutral car in the years leading up to his promotion to RBR, so for him it was quite easy, there was no massive loss of rear downforce.

People quickly forget that Vettel was also very unlucky with his car, constant reliability problems during races that took a few laps to fix or where left unfixed, either way, costing him plenty of positions during races. It was known within the team that he'd move to Ferrari well before the summer break, so obviously was disadvantaged with new knowledge.

That said, Ricciardo is a formidable driver, he is seriously quick and obviously went out there with a point to prove. He certainly did. IMO Vettel gets used to cars very quickly, it wouldn't take him long to figure out a new car. Was he lacking motivation, knowing he was going to Ferrari anyways? Perhaps...he's been in love with Ferrari since he was a little boy (he bought a Scuderia with his first real money from Toro Rosso).

Personally, I'd love to see Ricciardo there. Truly one of the nicest guys in the paddock, proper lad, and as a personality my favourite in F1 with Kimi. Certainly capable of finishing close to Vettel. But there is the risk of him wanting to prove a point, though certainly he'd throw less of a strop than Verstappen/Alonso.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He won't be back. And certainly not at Red Bull. Neither will Alonso.

IF RB loses one of their drivers next year, Sainz will get the bump up, Gasly will move up to STR.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sounds like we agree. Let's ring the bells in Maranello.

And kudos for your elaborate analysis.