Mercedes could assist Honda to solve its engine trouble | FerrariChat

Mercedes could assist Honda to solve its engine trouble

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Still . . . . "A" for effort.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull doesn't want though

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Just scrap the whole thing and start from scratch using a similar design as everyone else. No concept Zero nonsense, no fancy impeller turbine weirdo nonsense. Just build a normal damn power unit like everyone else. Its not working.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'll be surprised if Ferrari are totally happy about this situation either - Especially when there are rules in place specifically designed to stop inter-team cooperation!

Perhaps Ferrari should be allowed to give more help to Haas? ;)

6. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Holy seppuku, Batman!

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. I also find it unsporting. Ferrari and Renault where both told to suck it up when they had a power deficit (still do for Renault and Ferrari behind in quali power mode)....If mercedes is so kind to tell us what they're doing (oil to lower DET so they can run more boost) and how, that'll be spiffing. lol.

8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    As big a fan I am, and have been of Honda, if you need to seek consultation from another engine manufacturer, it is time to get out of the sport, as much as I hate to say that.

Boy, do I miss the late '80s and very early '90s in F1..............! Quite a different scenario for Honda back then.

9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    +1

What an embarrassment.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Renault got a lot of help from RBR and that Cosworth guy. Still, not the epic fail of Honda going to MB for help.

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Never knew what the heck did Ron Dennis see in Honda..

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes, but RBR uses their engines, Mario Illien did work on their ICE from 2015 onwards, but he didn't work on the Mercedes power unit. As far as I'm concerned, he was just a hired gun, completely different from what Mercedes/Honda are trying to do. Either buy the Mercedes Staff or do it yourself, but don't ask for help along the way from a rival team.

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    APRIL 27, 2017

Honda help better for F1 says Boullier

Eric Boullier is making the case that Honda should be given a boost to finally get up to speed in formula one.

2017 is actually the Japanese carmaker's third season since returning to the sport with McLaren, but the new power unit is reportedly still over 100hp down on its rivals.

It has triggered speculation that Honda could now collaborate with the likes of Mercedes, or get regulatory help as well in a bid to close the performance gap.

"It's something we have to solve," McLaren team boss Boullier is quoted by the Spanish sports daily AS.

"I'm not asking for help from anyone to beat the best engine, but to get closer to that three tenths for a balance in performance I think would be fairer and more positive for formula one," said the Frenchman.

However, Boullier acknowledged that there will likely be roadblocks on the way to any moves to give Honda a boost in this way.

"We are in a position where I am not sure that everyone wants us to have more performance from our engine. But I think it will be better for formula one to have a level playing field.

"It will be more attractive for other teams and engine manufacturers to enter formula one, and for the fans it will be much better if they see closer racing on the track," Boullier added.

Meanwhile, Honda has declined to confirm that former Mercedes and Renault engine expert Mario Illien is now working to help solve the Japanese marque's crisis.

"We are already using, and will continue to use, outside resources," a spokesman told GMM. "But I'm afraid we do not disclose details of any consultants or suppliers."

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No one could've foreseen it to be this bad. IMO the idea behind it was to get an engine build to Mclaren's wishes (size zero at the time), presumably the thought behind it was that it may be a little down on power (say some 25-30bhp in race trim) but would make up for it with less drag.

Mercedes/Ferrari/Renault obviously wouldn't custom make an engine for Mclaren, so this was the only option. And Ron WAS right, not allowed to challenge the Mercedes as a customer for as long as they're the more competitive team.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I dunno Bas...but they sucked back as Honda team. They were already on the backfoot then on.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Honda V10 was the most powerful after the BMW.

The V8 cars sucked because of chassis and aero, not because of terrible engines.

Mclaren as a team wants to win. With a Mercedes engine, they are not allowed for as long as Mercedes itself is there competing for wins. They can't get a Ferrari engine, Renault is possible but also had issues back then (still does to a much smaller degree).

Going with another manufacturer was the only real option. They needed a bespoke engine to fit in with the size zero concept. Had it worked (reliable engine and power within at least 35bhp), they would've looked like geniuses.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #17 REALZEUS, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    The Ferrari 054 was actually the most powerful V10 exceeding 1000 CV in quali trim. The BMW was very close and the Merchant third best. That Honda was far behind.

As for this year's Ferrari, there's no quali power deficit. They just can't turn on their tyres on a single lap. Which serves them well in the race as the tyres degrade slower compared to Mercedes's.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

In race trim the Ferrari and Honda were par, with the BMW slightly more powerful.

2005 Engines:-

BMW P84/5 - 925 BHP @ 19 000 RPM
    Ferrari Tipo 054 - 900 BHP @ 19 000 RPM
    Honda RA005E - 900 BHP @ 19 000 RPM

The 2005 Tipo 055 pushed out 940 BHP.

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Actually it's the other way round, as the 055 had reduced power for reliability reasons, due to the new restrictions regarding the number of engines per season.

The figures I have seen claim the 054 and 055 as the most powerful of the grid in their respective years. The GPS data confirm that as far as acceleration is concerned. Terminal velocity is another indicator, but it's more down to aero really.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why do we have to "save McLaren"? No one gave a crap about other teams struggling. Ferrari was terrible in the 80's. No one asked to help them.

21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Why? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

22. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If this were an aero problem that made one team much more competitive than all the others, would the call be to "open the books" to make another team catch up? Red Bull owned F1 for four straight years, mainly down to aero, and by all accounts some tricky bendable floor and other parts. Im sure that Manor or one of the other "minnows" would have loved a gentle push in the right direction
    Big boy sport, you want to compete, figure it out.

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Spot on

Mclaren claims to be a better sports car manufacturer than ferrari. So let them build their own engines

24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have never heard such claim.

Sources ??

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... they IMPLIED it with the intro of the 12c-Mp4.

But that's not the point. I just don't see why there's all this calling to "help McLaren" when soooooooooooo many other teams have come and went. I really liked Super Aguri-- gone. Marussia-- gone. Lotus --- gone.

Right now Sauber and Force India are actually in worse financial situations than McLaren and I don't hear people say "we need to save Sauber!"

McLaren has almost as many F1 wins as Ferrari. This is no "minor" team. Let them struggle out of it themselves like Ferrari did.

Send in Mercedes to help Honda? Eff 'em. Go put on your big boy pants and get to work.