Max Verstappen to Ferrari 2018? | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen to Ferrari 2018?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, May 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    After the debacle in Monaco and the performance of the car so far this year, i think this could be a definate possibility.Ok Max has a contract,but that can be bought out by Ferrari .If they decide to drop Kimi, Max would be in frame.

Its June and teams are for sure already starting to make plans for 2018.

2. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Kimi is still fast and seems to tolerate #2 status. I am a fan of Max, but I don't see him and Vettel both at Ferrari in their primes.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The only "debacle" was Vettel was faster than Kimi.

Kimi could have solved that problem -- but couldn't

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Two tier 1 drivers can rarely coexist in the same team without issues while fighting each other for championships or something else important like a better drive.

Ferrari doesn't do young and inexperienced.

When / how often have teams bought out contracts? They're written such that to do so would be prohibitively expensive.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I was thinking of the Max 'censored disaster' debacle...

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its a team sport. Sometimes people forget that.

I watch a hockey game. A guy has a shot but instead passes it to another guy who has a cleaner shot. The second guy gets game winning the goal.

The team wins. Does the first guy whine he didn't get the winning goal? No.

F1 drivers need to put their big boy pants on.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hummm...

The WDC trophy isn't given to a team, but to the driver who accumulates the most points during a season.

It's legitimate for a good driver to aim for a win, and if he looses when he was near, he doesn't get much satisfaction by his team scoring points.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You know and I know Ferrari only cares about the Constructor title

Hence: the F430 16m

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ferraris best period was with schumi, having a clear number one and a backup points Hoover for the constructors..... they have that now. Max or Danny would upset that, and be counterproductive. When Seb goes, add a new number one, but don't upset the applecart and start off the type of wars we see at Mercedes.

By the way, watch merc in the next few races. If bottas keeps his head down and gets the results, and elton keep screwing up, that will show the effect of two number ones

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #10 PSk, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Nope.

Ferrari, possibly uniquely, consider winning to be the team that provided the WDC's car. They do not need the F1 funds provided by their position in the consolation prize, the WCC.

Note how they ignored the 1982, 83 and 1999 WCC's they won, and went on and on about not winning for 21 years, from 1979 until 2000.
    Pete

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    William, you do realise that the driver who wins the WDC drives a car don't you?!! He does not walk or run around the track.

There is enormous prestige to be the manufacturer of the car that the WDC drove, way more than winning the mere WCC, which is won by consistency not speed. So the best and fastest car was the car the WDC drove, not the WCC winner.

For example:
    50 Farina drove an Alfa Romeo
    51 Fangio drove an Alfa Romeo
    52/53 Ascari drove Ferraris for 2 years
    54 Fangio drove a Maserati and Mercedes
    55 Fangio drove a Mercedes again
    56 Fangio drove a Ferrari
    57 Fangio drove a Maserati
    58 Hawthorn drove a Ferrari
    59 Brabham drove a Cooper

Bet you didn't even know that Vanwall won the 1958 WCC ...
    Pete

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #12 Bas, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1

Vettel and Verstappen at Ferrari I just can't see. Verstappen is WAY to hungry for a title to play pawn for Vettel. It'll create crazy amounts of tension in the team, and if it's another tight battle for the championship, that's the last thing we'll need.

The relationship between Kimi and Vettel is still great (see picture of them in a football match yesterday), Kimi still has good speed in him. If Ferrari pull their finger out and work the strategy better we'll have Kimi finishing right behind Vettel in most races, as the poor strategy is what's the cause for most of his poor results.

Verstappen will race at Ferrari but not for so long as Vettel is there. I reckon in the next 3-5 years Verstappen will join us....and I can't wait!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    My intervention was in reply to The Mayor who stated that F1 is a team sport, and therefore Raikkonen finishing 2nd in a 1-2 Ferrari victory should be happy to have contributed.
    Like hell he should !!!

I think that a driver at the top seeks to win for himself, because merely contributing to increase his team tally isn't what racing is all about.

Unless you share a car like in endurance, motor racing is about selfishness by nature; you try to beat the other guys!

BTW, You would have lost your bet !

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They really only care about the drivers championship, as that's the one people remember...

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 100%

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Ferrari and every other team only care about the constructors title. Why? Because thats the one that determines how much money they get. The drivers title is good for PR, but who cares about that if the bills can't be paid? One's for show, the others for dough.

17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This. It will be epic to see Max in red.

Could be a long wait though. If Vettel wins it this year, that will put him on 5 WDCs, just 2 less than the legend MS. If he's that close, I would expect him to try very hard to get to at least 7 and ideally 8 before he hangs up his helmet. Max may have to be patient…

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think so as well.

The rivalry between these 2 inside the team could be difficult to handle, IMO.

I also think that Red Bull will do its utmost to keep Verstappen, and that Max will only leave to a team that can provide him a winning car to challenge for the title.

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    And the only teams that could provide him with a winning car in the forseable future are

Mercedes and Ferrari?

I think Lewis and Bottas will keep going in 2018

Seb and Kimi not so sure.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Certainly, especially if Vettel wins this year it won't be his last with Ferrari...

I don't difficult to manage is an underestimation ;). Impossible more like.

+1

And Red Bull will also be able to provide him with a WDC challenging car...depending on the Renault power of course! IMO Red Bull next year will be a force to be reckoned with. Newey has apparently woken up and focuses on the team more rather than that car (still find that a bit weird...I mean there's few regulations he has to adhere to with that car!), so presumably because they're not in the current title fight they'll focus on the 2018 car early!

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Personally, I wouldn't dismiss Red Bull, if Renault keeps improving its power unit.

Red Bull is a solid organisation, that knows how to win.

So, young Max could well decide to stay put.

22. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    A bit too early for Max, he's still on an upwards and learning trajectory.
    In 5 years he'll be the grand old age of 24 and multiple WDC, probably with Ferrari.
    Meanwhile Vettel is at his career plateau - last thing he needs is a punchy, faster and younger team mate ;)

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #23 Igor Ound, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Magnussen seems to have his head in the game this year. If he continues like this for the rest of the season I think that he merits his place at Haas.

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    but who drove Vanwall?