Tony Kanaan Says Lewis Hamilton Raced in a Two Car Championship and Finished Second | FerrariChat

Tony Kanaan Says Lewis Hamilton Raced in a Two Car Championship and Finished Second

Discussion in 'F1' started by rmmcdaniel, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Well said.

2. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Amen

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hamilton stepped in it big time. He didn't make any friends that day.

I have to say, not only was Alonso's driving remarkable but the way he handled himself his entire time at Indy was first rate.

Alonso has built an entire new fan base. Hamilton, not so much.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Quality quote! Hahaaa.

Alonso certainly surprised me with his performance. I've always found him a superb f1 driver but very much aloof when it came to fan interaction. At Indy, he was a different person, and a much more engaging, interesting open character. Really enjoyed that. Good job that man!

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agreed on all points

6. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I guess Lewis is happy with the fan base he has and for them he can not do anything wrong anyway...

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 well said. FA has raised his profile for himself and has helped both series as well.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    What next for Lewis? He has the earnings, the hair cut, the tats, the gold chains, sun glasses. Could it be a ring through his nose? Perhaps a lip ring, through both lips to keep his mouth shut. Maybe he is just trying to prove is punk, like Justen Bieber.

I was never a big fan of Alonso, until he hit the Indy circuit.

9. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX

Just like Justin Bieber.

Actually, come to think of it....I think they both have the same fans.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #11 Bas, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    he's got the nose ring already...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    I've never been a fan of FA. Good driver but everything else about him is way too caustic and outweighs any driving skills he has. I've watched his entire career and he's always been this way. However, at Indy I saw something different in him and for the first time in his career I was actually rooting for him in the race. FA handled himself very well in all aspects and the way he was able to quickly adapt to Indy race craft was impressive. TheMayor said it very well...Alonso gained a whole new fan base at Indy. I for one am hoping FA takes this attitude and mindset back with him to F1. He might actually gain this racing fan.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

I've been a big critic on him here. I think Mclaren humbled him and I started enjoying some thing he's done...The deckchair thing, directing the TV camera's, he's quite open to the fans (Contrary to some).

I didn't like him when he was beating Schumacher, he was very cocky also and of course the wrong team, beating my idol. In 2007 I lived in the UK and we only got half the story (re Hungarian GP) and it was extremely one sided from the British press, the whole thing started off with Hamilton ignoring what was agreed in the team meetings and the team orders during qualifying, they all droned on and on about how their darling was brutalized by Alonso. Mind you I wasn't a fan of Hamilton either, he had his nice boy cap on, but it was the British press that focused on one thing only and that was Hamilton, nothing else mattered...I learned a few things from actual insiders and making up my own mind about those events and I changed my view. Didn't much like him still though.

I only started to like him in the things I mentioned above, the Mclaren things, and obviously at Indy.

13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The way he represented himself during the pre/post/banquet conferences/dinner while at Indy was "a class act" all the way around; humble, sincere, happy. The way the fans (most probably have no idea about who he really is - just some spaniard coming from F1) gave him a standing ovation when the Honda crapped out on him and he exited out of the car was truly and eye-opener of acceptance and applause for at least trying Indy. While on the track, he looked poised and patient....he looked like a natural at Indy. He brought so much media attention to Indy as a horde of jounalists/photographers were always with him. The other guys at Indy considered themselves "the other 32." Then there are the other 32 guys at Indy that accepted him with open arms and gave him the respect on the track....the whole event was spectacular on all levels of motorsport racing from an North American aspect as well as a global aspect. I know he has a "toxic" past, but he should return to Indy....maybe not 2018...but in the future.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I neve liked Alonso.. i confess, at the beggining in 2007 i liked Elton more....than came his cheating in Australia, lying his ass of to get Trulli penalized (one of my favopurite drivers) and he was on my blacklist...Bearing Alonso at Ferrari was incredibly hard to me, ..but now he's working hard to compensate me for that...it's a joy to watch him break the car every single race while screaming "gp2".."gp2"....but i must say he had a very correct aproach and said all the right things at Indy..and that can't be easy becaus e usualy when he opens his mouth i only hear ****!! But Elton hit a new low, and is clearly below Alonso..he's the dumbest driver i ever heard, he's petulant, ignorant, lazy, and quite frankly, the kind of driver and more so the kind of champion f.1 doesn't need. nor him nor 99% of his fanboys who are mostly completly ignorants about f.1.
    I have no doubt he's better than any Indy driver, but you have to respect their courage and teh fact that they put their lives on the line every weekend..and besides far better drivers than him have competed in that series, so he should just shut up and show respect for something he's totaly ignorant about.

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Frankly, both statements from Hamilton and Kanaan don't look very dignified coming from professional racing drivers.

Why some adults resort to teenagers' immaturity is beyond me.

Trying to undermine a series where you don't participate seems rather pointless.

Plague on both your houses, Hamilton and Kanaan !

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep.

17. Who's "Tony Kanaan"??? :p

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Someone who looks like Vin Diesel...not as good driver as Vin...just more handsome ;)

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Absolutely, and I think you and I where one of the few here that truly only supported one side of the Ferrari garage during his tenancy!
    +1 True.

Kanaan's statement would never have happened if Elton learned to keep his mouth shut with his pointless comment...having seen the video of Kanaan it was at a banquet and he said it more tongue in cheek than anything, and to be fair he was spot on.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Says it all - As the front page of Monday's Indianapolis Star put it, 'Fernando Alonso won everything but the race'.

21. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I feel somewhat the same about Montoya. I never liked him in F1 but now enjoy seeing him race in other series. Like Alonso, he is also an excellent driver as his Daytona and Indy wins show.

I don't think he's the greatest thing in the world, just easier to watch now than before.

Some attitudes mellow with age I guess?

LSJ

22. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Everyone loves a humble WDC.

The same is not true of a condescending one. LH needs to learn to ignore the voice in his head that says 'you need to comment on this'. As previously mentioned, the merits of the statement are probably true...however the way he stated it was just inane. No reason to insult a bunch of guys who are out doing their job.

Alonso is as prickly as they come in F1, but clearly he understands that graciousness goes a long way...not to mention the fact that his participation in the Indy 500 was seen as a way to build a bridge between the two open-wheel series.

LH's comment was an effort to blow it up.

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1 on both. Kanaan gets a bit more of a pass because of the context of the statement....I don't know why Lewis even said anything.

I think he asked for the response he received.

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Elton needs to learn no one except his dumbass fan Bois give a damn about his opinions, we already know he's a tool, yet he insists on proving it every time he gets interviewed