F1 and Le Mans partner to avoid date clashes | FerrariChat

F1 and Le Mans partner to avoid date clashes

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #1 jgonzalesm6, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F1 CEO Chase Carey was the honorary starter at Le Mans on Saturday and his presence was on obvious sign of cooperation between the 24-hour event and Formula 1.

It was a well-known fact that Bernie Ecclestone was no fan of the endurance classic which in his view only drew attention away from F1.

Le Mans often clashed with a Grand Prix during the Ecclestone era and indeed the former F1 supremo probably deliberately engineered overlapping dates.

The arrival of Liberty Media at the helm has now opened up a period of collaboration between F1 and the World Endurance Championship, according to ACO (Automobile Club de l'Ouest) boss Pierre Fillon.

"We are demonstrating the new relationship between the ACO and Formula One," said Fillon.

"With Chase Carey at the top of F1, the time has come to work together on a motor sport calendar that allows fans to enjoy both Formula 1 and the races of the world endurance championship."

Renault's Nico Hulkenberg won the 24-hour epic with Porsche in 2015 and would have loved to go back last year, but the race clashed with Azerbaijan's maiden Grand Prix at Baku.

"At the moment, I don't think I am missing participating in Le Mans," Hulkenberg told Firstpost.

"I am focused on the Renault project and I would like to give this my best shot in the next few years. For the future, who knows?"

Both Fernando Alonso and Romain Grosjean have also expressed their desire to race at Le Mans one day.

Formula 1 and Le Mans partner to avoid date clashes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #2 jgonzalesm6, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Porsche will be attending an engine meeting and the Austrian Grand Prix, eyeing up the possibility of moving into the sport in 2021 when the new engine deal come into play. The German manufacturer won Le Mans for the third year in a row last weekend and could be looking at an entry into Formula 1.

"We now know the (Le Mans) regulations for 2020," said Porsche's Le Mans chief Fritz Enzinger. "In the next weeks Peugeot should decide whether they come or not. But even if they do, we have to consider whether we want to go another two or three years in Le Mans. At the moment, I cannot assess that."

It is also rumoured that Formula E is an interest of Porsche, as the electric series becomes more popular and takes off globally. There are also suggestions that McLaren is interested in a customer engine deal with the marque, however, they are also thought to be lining up a Mercedes deal for 2018.

The last time Porsche was involved in Formula 1 was 1991, when they supplied Footwork with engines. The project was a disaster and only lasted six rounds. The failed to even to qualify for over half the races that year.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/227774/porsche-to-attend-f1-engine-meeting-at-austrian-gp?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss
    Image Unavailable, Please Login