Hamilton could retire . . THIS YEAR! | FerrariChat

Hamilton could retire . . THIS YEAR!

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How well would that negotiation ploy work out do you reckon?

Not very well, Verstappen/Ricciardo/Alonso will be in that seat before Elton can say ''think about it''.

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Pure speculation on my part.

Maybe he feels he's banked enough party money for the rest of his life. We'll see.

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Hamilton leaves Mercedes and than that's it. It's over for him. He will never be able to return to the sport if he has a change of heart in the future. No team will be able to put up with his BS. He will end his career in F1 with Mercedes. Now, if it's at the end of this year or another year that's meant to be seen.

5. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Lewis Hamilton 'not thinking' about when he will retire from F1
    Lewis says he doesn't know when he'll stop racing in F1 after earlier quotes implied he could even quit as early as the end of this year.

He still hasn't ruled out a drive for Ferrari, and is very complimentary towards the brand (but he says nothing about his fans on this site!)

Lewis Hamilton 'not thinking' about when he will retire from F1 | F1 News

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, i agree. It's too early for him.

7. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    An attention whore like him (also obsessed with living like a king), won't retire willingly IMO. Therefore, he must be using that as a negotiation tool. He should leave the negotiation to somebody else, and just shut up. He's like a certain person that just runs his mouth and makes matters worse. It'd make me very happy if he just disappears;), but I very much doubt it'd be anytime soon. We'll see:).

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #8 william, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    He is too young to quit, IMO, and has plenty of good years in front of him; at least until the end of this formula when Mercedes might pull out.

I cannot see Hamilton driving for another team than Mercedes though ...

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 Too many drivers around of his talent to fill his spot. Ricciardo, Verstappen, Vettel all 3 proven and will be in F1 for the foreseeable future. Alonso shorter term but still there. Leclerc, Ocon, 2 fantastic drivers with bright futures.
    Shock horror, the PR machine fixing his statement from yesterday...now where have I seen this before...Oh right!
    Prospect of his very own Kardashian TV show on E! or such **** must be tempting though

10. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Ha ha. Yeah, he'd fit right in. Now that you mentioned it, I'm sure that's his next move. The good news is I'd never see him again. He he.

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    #11 tifoso2728, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

Again, he's not going anywhere soon. He probably spends as much as he makes.

12. fcfhogvp

fcfhogvp Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    He's one the best pilots in F1 history. Despite some peoples ill wishes, he's here for a while and will retire with Ferrari.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wouldn't be surprised if Merc quits and becomes just an engine supplier if Hamilton is gone.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I predict that Mercedes will see the end of this formula, and then pull out of F1.

They may even get a couple more WDCs or WCCs before that, and will have achieved everything they set to win by then.

I am wondering who will replace them among the big manufacturers.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There may be no more manufacturers per se. Like Indy Car they may become engine suppliers and let teams make their own cars.

Ferrari will be the last hold out.

So, what you'll get is engines made by Honda, Porsche, Renault, Mercedes, and Ferrari and maybe VW. Teams like Williams, RB, Haas, etc will design a car and just buy the engine of their choice.

The advantage is clear if you look at Honda at Indy. They blew up 4 engines but won the race. No one remembers the cars that came in last but they know the car won with a Honda.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't think there could be many engine manufacturers in F1, or they wouldn't make any money.

It's the economy of scale: you need to supply several teams (maybe 4 teams with 5 engines each minimum per year) to break even.

Cosworth used to supply 90% of the grid; there was no limit in the number of engines then, and they were maintaining them all year round.

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I hope he never gets a chance to represent Ferrari, we don't need a whiny, po-faced prat in the car

18. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I do not see Hamilton retiring as long as he is in the best car with an inferior teammate. I can see him leaving if the car is not competitive or his teammate starts beating him regularly. I do not see Hamilton hanging on too long like may other drivers, I think he has other things he wants to do and I do not think he will want to damage his brand by being uncompetitive or beaten consistenty.

19. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Maybe he's going full-time with his burgeoning music career!

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surely they'll see sense and just hire either of the current Red Bull boys if Vettel leaves for whatever reason (not that I think that is likely).

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think he will stay with MB for 2018 if he is WDC this year.

If he loses to Vettel i would not be surprised to see him at Ferrari in 2018, if he thinks Ferrari will have the best car for next year which is a difficult call of course.

Lewis is very active on social media,so anything he says will register worldwide,which is mostly a positive for Brand Hamilton,and possibly for MB.

Vettel is almost non existent on social media,he prefers to keep his private life private,fair enough.

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It's nonsense, but it got him the attention he intended....

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I like that.

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    About as well as: "Honey, I have spent some time thinking about divorce, what are your thoughts on the mater?"

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 exactly.