Porsche in Formula 1? | FerrariChat

Porsche in Formula 1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Well, I don't see F1 as an option for any new manufacturer unless the new regs get set, and they make the engines much much more straightforward. Why would they risk a 'Honda' and destroy their reputation with no guarantee they would ever catch up? Can't see it.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Maybe in 2021, with the new (and I suppose low cost) rules, but not yet. I suppose they´ll stay at WEC: it fits with their tradition and after all, they´re doing well.

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think Porsche will stay with WEC, but may enter Formula E to showcase their technology. It would line up well with their Mission E.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Porsche natural environment is the WEC but the LMP1 category is experiencing an existential crisis right now, with only 2 protagonists, and an uncertain future.
    It's OK to add a Le Mans win every year, but just like Audi, Porsche may realise that without challenge, there is no incentive to stay.
    The LMP1 category may open up in future to accept less complicated cars, private teams and customer cars providing some opposition to Stuttgart, and encouraging it to stay in WEC. .

Becoming a F1 engine supplier is a possibility, but the returns are never as good as racing under your own brand.

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I guess that would make sense: staying in WEC for a few more years before switching to F1 with the new regulations...On one side they would not become a 10x in a row winner at LM making it look "effortless" and therefore "worthless" but still long enough to justify all the commitment they had in the last years
    But that would mean that again they would compete with Audi as Audi just left WEC to enter Formula E. I would think that the VW group will spread out the efforts of their brands in different series instead of challenging themselves.

8. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Well, I'd make sure their new GT3 engines are not going to grenade like the others, and then maybe consider building engines for F1;). But it'd be nice to get more engine manufacturers involved.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    ?????

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    If they do come back I truly hope it better than last time, remember Footwork Porsche? Almost makes the current McLaren Honda look good. I think they are better served in WEC.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #11 william, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    I agree that the Metzger-designed Porsche V12 engine was a complete failure.
    In their defence, I would say that it was created in a hurry and at a price.
    Metzger used the bin parts to produce his engine, joining 2 ex-TAG V6 blocks to make a V12, taking power between the blocks. In consequence, the engine was big, heavy and complicated. You don't make a silk purse with a sow's ear.
    After a few GPs, Porsche realised this was never going to work and withdrew its supply of engines to Footwork. If I remember rightly, Footwork received enough compensation to buy a few DFV Cosworth, plus some change.

I don't think Porsche would make the same mistake, plus they have a lot of experience in hybrid technology by now.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They're being challenged seriously by Toyota: they missed the win last year by a lap. If the Japanese have a little more patience it's a matter of time that they finally get it all together. Besides that, the inevitable reshuffle that the LMP1 rules is going to get soon will bring more people to the party.

I think that Porsche would be risking a lot leaving sports car and entering in the unknown and expensive world of F1. It would make more sense for Audi, to face their natural rival Mercedes.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Japanese have won the championship already, but not the star event: Le Mans.

Toyota may have narrowly miss the victory last year, but it was a real debacle for them this year, and Porsche fielded a reduced team.

I guess that if Toyota was to win Le Mans, it would stop its effort in the WEC, and Porsche would be left alone in the LMP1 category.

Without opposition, Porsche would probably leave endurance, IMO.

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

A Mazda 787B won the 1991 Le Mans 24 Hours.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I rephrase that: Toyota has won a championship, but not Le Mans.

Mazda isn't Toyota.

16. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Given the tech, its relatively small cost and their plans for electric vehicles, Formula e is almost guaranteed at this point for Porsche.

The real question is do they continue to pump 150-300m euros a year into another series and if so, which? Pursue the WEC with hybrids, with little media attention and a tightening of the rules and development, or F1, where even rumours of them joining gets them more media interest than them actually winning Le Mans?

Given VW's financial troubles, my personal opinion is they will enter Formula e and redirect the 100's of millions they spend on WEC to other things within their company and F1 will remain a pipe dream for fans.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I could only see Porsche coming into F-1 as a supplier - for some team that can pay... Maybe Tag hooks back up with them?

Porsche have never had much of a good experience with F-1. one outright victory and then Tag Porsche engines WDC in 84,85, 87. but that is it, and with the Tag McLaren Porsche engines it was John Barnard who mandated the engine specs..... when Porsche came in with a v-12 - it was a disaster and embarrassment. I remember standing above the Arrows pits in Montreal when one actually let go.. steam & oil.. all over the place.. terrible smell.

I love Porsche in Sports Cars - its their DNA. BUT it does seem to me that F-1 is completely un finished business... they have to be able to build an actually successful F-1 car.. just the question of how much $$$ they want to spend. there does not seem to be much of an ROI going into F-1 ... vs WEC / IMSA

18. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Are Porsche’s Formula 1 Aspirations Really to Blame for LMP1 Withdrawal?

Perhaps the most important reason of all is the very real prospect of Porsche returning to F1 in 2021. According to a German source, two key members of the Porsche sports-car program — Andreas Seidl, the Porsche LMP1 team boss and technical director, and LMP1 team principal Fritz Enzinger, both of whom have previous F1 experience with Sauber-BMW F1 — are pushing hard for Porsche to return to open-wheel racing’s top tier. Their rationale is the cost of an F1 program, once sponsorship money is included into the equation, is essentially the same cost of the current LMP1 Hybrid program. And F1 will provide far more brand exposure across a 20-race schedule than a nine-race WEC season. Also, as much as 70 percent of the exposure Porsche got from the WEC program came from a single race, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. So now, the 2021 F1 season is the target, and three years of preparation and budget are needed. This, not Formula E, appears to have been the death knell of Porsche’s WEC program.

Are Porsche?s Formula 1 Aspirations Really to Blame for LMP1 Withdrawal? | Automobile Magazine

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    For a company such as Porsche there really is no other choice other than F1. LMP1 is a waste of time if their ultimate goal is exposure and of course winning. Winning in F1 is a far more beneficial venture, and when you're winning a lot it is also profitable. No brainer if you have the brand and muscle/capital

20. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I would be ecstatic to Porsche F1 cars. ***please, Lord in Heaven, be better than Honda!

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    But also a much bigger down side. Being beaten by Mercedes or Ferrari will not do much for the brand. or should they fall behind McLaren Honda...

Porsche as a F-1 constructor has one victory to its name... Dan Gurney at the French GP in 61. the Ferrari's faded ... he was there to reap the reward.

other than the TAG Porsche engine McLaren's of 84-87... they have never done well in open wheel cars... It's not Porsche's DNA. IF however they were to combine with VW, Audi and re do Auto Union F-1 at least then it would not look so bad if they lose... But that has about a 0.0000000001% chance of happening.

22. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Me too....hopefully the sport won't be completely ruined by 2021.

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Porsche F1...never gonna happen.

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Not gonna get my hopes up until they fully commit once Porsche see's the new formula.

25. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    VW have reduced the 500m a year burden of two LMP1 teams down to, maybe, 10m a year to field two Formula E teams instead. Quite the substantial saving.

Given their record profits, despite the dieselgate fines, they certainly have the money to comfortably have a very well funded F1 team.

If they find a title sponsor and add in the 'Bernie money' they will receive from FOM, they would be far better off than they ever were in WEC. Hybrid tech in a global series that people actually watch.

My heart hopes that they join but my head tells me that they will join only Formula E and pocket the rest of their former race budget.