Hungarian GP news and predictions thread | FerrariChat

Hungarian GP news and predictions thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jul 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    First up, fresh oil burning news:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-imposes-fresh-oil-burn-limits-933985/

Unfortunately only from Italian GP onwards, and only on new engines...

I still suspect Mercedes is heavily using oil burn for their Q3 advantage and during the race when they need to, they just run a much more advanced system. Ferrari's somewhat agricultural system that really consisted of a secondary oil tank did the trick, but also very obvious and had to be removed on the clampdown.

However...I don't see it as a real fix. .9 per 100km, turning it up for a couple of laps meaning only 10km of running, this is easily off-set by running very lean laps.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Confirmation that @Nobu_Mat13 will drive for the @SauberF1Team on Day 2 of the #HungarianGP mid-season @F1 test

3. AKWRater

AKWRater Rookie

Sep 17, 2015
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #4 jgonzalesm6, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why You Need to Pay Attention to the Hungary post-race test

The Hungarian GP is set to take place on the 30th of July and following this, the teams will remain at the track to carry out two days of tests on the 1st and 2nd of August.

1. Sauber: Gustav Malja and Nobuharu Matsu****a

2 Haas: Santino Ferrucci and Antonio Giovinazzi

3. Renault: Nicholas Latifi and Robert Kubica

4. McLaren: Lando Norris (TBC) and Stoffel Vandoorne

5. Williams: Gary Paffett and Felipe Massa/Lance Stroll

6. Force India: Lucas Auer and Nikita Mazepin

7. Ferrari: Charles Leclerc and Kimi Räikönnen

8. Red Bull: Pierre Gasly and Max Verstappen

9. Mercedes: George Russell (Both Days)

10. Toro Rosso: Sean Gelael and Daniil Kvyat/Carlos Sainz

https://driv3trib3.com/p/why-you-need-to-pay-attention-to-Wr4lfmwoTHaRyI6BHYX0bQ?iid=crvL37UtRnWxeqKjCPkT3Q
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #5 jgonzalesm6, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Hamilton has always ran well here. I suspect he'll pole and win.

I like this track, it's always been a favorite of mine when its turn comes up in season play from codemasters. Not really a track for passing though.

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    At the beginning of the season, I would have said this is a circuit that would suit Ferrari well. However, Mercedes seems to have sorted their problems of tire temperature.

Another Mercedes 1-2 I'm afraid.

8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yes, unfortunately we seem to be back at the status quo of the last years where the only interesting question remaining is which one of the Mercedes will win and which one will come home second unless they screw up in any way...

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Fernando Alonso took F1 engine penalties to prepare for Hungarian GP - F1 - Autosport

Be good to see FA do well----

Fernando Alonso says his massive grid penalty for the British Grand Prix was taken deliberately to allow him the maximum chance of a big result in the next Formula 1 race.

Alonso took a 30-place penalty at Silverstone, after Honda elected to fit a new engine and turbo plus MGU-H and MGU-K recovery systems to his car after Friday practice.

The Spaniard headed into the British GP weekend already facing a five-place penalty for needing a new battery, but 25 extra spots were added to his fine thanks to those extra changes.

Alonso says the extra new components were fitted with the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix in mind, a race that team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne has identified as one of McLaren's best opportunities to score points this season.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Just hope Kubica makes a great test and blows Palmer out of his seat!!!

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ohh, and hope Elton toasts his tires like he did in his first 2 years he raced there...

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My prediction

No matter what happens, the announcers on NBC will tell us how great McLaren and Lance Stroll are doing.

13. DF1

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    What are the weather predictions? Always very important at the Hungaroring...remember 2006!

Rgds

15. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Flying into Zagreb Friday, last minute decision to attend this race. Surprisingly the hotel room for two nights in city centre was very reasonable. I picked up two GA tickets; any recommendations re: best viewing area?

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Zagreb? flights to Budapest all full up?

17. DF1

Warm-- sunny

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    No, we always fly into Zagreb and then head over to the coast for our vacation. This was a last minute decision to take a few days and drive to Budapest (about 3 hours). By coincidence race fell on the same weekend, so I thought why not check it out...

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #19 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Sounds great,been to Budapest many times but never made it to the F1,sigh.Always stayed at the Hilton on the Buda side on the hill next to the castle ,its great but a little out of the way.No doubt you can find something more convenient .look forward to the pics :)

Szechenyi thermal baths is worth going if you like that sort of thing,most days people also playing chess in the pools to a very high standard!

20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Staying on the east side of the Danube within walking distance of the cathedral. I was somewhat surprised at how easy it was to order tickets from the Hungaroring website. And ticket holders have access to free shuttle buses to and from the track right from the city centre. I just hope it isn't brutally hot, which this venue is known for in years past!

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If it's hot you may be forced to try out a few of those cool beers,purely medicinal of course:)

22. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    We were in Prague last summer; I thought the Germans could drink beer, but the Czechs are out of control. I expect it will be the same in Budapest!

I just hope Ferrari can turn the tide of the last couple of races and does well. Years ago we attended the French GP at Magny Cours on a whim—Schumacher's half shaft flew out of the car right in front of us on the warm up lap! Game over before it started...

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The Czech are the first drinkers of beer in the world, in terms of litre per inhabitant. They also invented the "lager" that we know today, at Plzen; "from Plzen" translates in "Pilsner" in German; the "Pilsner Urquell" is the first "Pilsner" in history, "Ur-Quell" meaning the original spring. So they invented that stuff...

Rgds

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Just try some nice portuguese "superbock"!!

25. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I'm sure any beer we try will go well with goulash!

Was just checking out the track map and the GA area is restricted to the east side of the track—Turn 14 seems to be a favorite spot. Surprisingly there is no infield access at all.