Ferrari drivers 2018 | FerrariChat

Ferrari drivers 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Red Bull's Christian Horner categorically stated that Ricciardo and Verstappen are locked up for 2018. But looking at other drivers who are out of contract at the end of this season, 2018 driver line-ups look very interesting. Among them are Sebastien Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso and Valtteri Bottas. None appear certain to return to their 2017 teams though Vettel looks a bit surer than the others.

But if I am the Sweater (who really runs the team, doesn't he?) I'd adore to see Fernando and Valtteri in my red cars, the first who is widely regarded in the garages as the best driver on the grid, the second perhaps a younger WDC challenger who could accept being #2 for the time.

What do you think?

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Depends on whether Bottas wins the WDC this year at Mercedes.;)

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    that you Ron Dennis? lol

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Marchionne has already stated that Ferrari has let be known to Fernando Alonso that they are not interested in hiring him again. That be said, Formula One being Formual One...
    But I believe that Vettel, Alonso and Bottas will stay where they are. Kimi possibly so.

Rgds

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You seem like a nice person and i don't want to disrespect you, so i'll just skip the comment part! :)

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOLOLO

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Seb and Max

At least that's my hope

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    would be dope!

Max is the next Schumi

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True dat

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My real hope would be the RBR team ;).

However, I'm convinced Vettel will stay for the next 2-3 years easily. Verstappen is quite simply not happening before 2019 anyways...he's definitely the real next schumacher. I think Vettel is great but Max raised the bar.

For 2018 I think likely we'll stay with the current team. Vettel is smart, Kimi isn't as bad people are saying here (despite their wishful thinking), no point changing it.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Same as 2017. I believe VET's contract allows him to have as say in who his teammate is.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A say but not a dictate.

I believe Ferrari is after Ricciardo for 2019 (alongside Vettel or Verstappen). Perez, Grosjean(please no), Sainz etc will not accept a 1 year contract.

13. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Vettel and Ricci (despite what RB says)

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    everyone but Sainz!

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    When Max's car is actually working properly, Ricciardo can't keep up with him - Max is the No.1 target that Ferrari have in mind for 2019, and the Verstappen's know it too: (From: F1 News, Drivers, Results - Formula 1 Live Online | Sky Sports ) :

Max's Red Bull situation may become "more complicated"? Rowland to drive Renault car at Assen; Kubica could replace Palmer at Spa?

Max Verstappen's situation at Red Bull will become "more complicated" if they do not provide him with a winning car in 2018, his father Jos Verstappen has said.

The 19-year-old has been hampered by unreliability this season and has finished only half of the 10 races, claiming one podium.

Amid rumours of a move to Ferrari, Jos confirmed to Sky F1 in Austria that his son would remain at Red Bull next season but has now hinted they may seek a move for 2019 if Red Bull

"Max wants to become a champion and he will do anything to win," Jos was quoted as telling RTL GP.

"Right now he does not have such an opportunity, but he uses this year to become stronger.

"Next year, it is clear what our goals are. We want to win, and if this does not happen, the situation will become more complicated.

"At the moment Max cannot do anything. He is doing everything right, and he feels good in his skin, but he just wants to win.

"That's what you notice about Max. The disappointment that he cannot win, which is why he has had some problems. He has never experienced [not winning] before."

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    It is funny that both Mercedes drivers, Vettel, Alonso and Max "demand" a winning car...As long as Mercedes does not bring 5 cars to the GP it is not likely to happen anytime soon...
    Furthermore I am curious why going from RB to Ferrari necessarily change that for Max as Ferrari seems to be fighting more likely RB in the next races than Mercedes.
    I guess the other 19 drivers want to become champion as well ;)

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I think a swap Hamilton X Vettel is possible. Hamilton probably wants a new challenge and Mercedes would love to have a German world-champion again.

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

If young Max thinks jumping to Ferrari will answer his ambition, he may be disappointed though ...

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Personally I can't see it, but you never know.

Toto Wolff would be mad accepting that deal without any resistance.

Also, good luck to Arrivabene with Hamilton at the Scuderia !

I also wonder what the tifosi would make of that !!! LOL

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..but Ferrari doesn't want a useless driver in his seat...

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    You can rule out Nico returning to F1 as a driver because he said he didn't want to return - He'd achieved his life dream and doesn't need the stress involved with driving an F1 car.

As for the linked article: It's all conjecture based on the fact that Nico was seen in Monaco talking to the organisers of Formula E. As it stands, someone has put two and two together and come up with seven as the answer!

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Sticking with Red Bull might not answer his ambition.

Going to Mercedes might not answer his ambition.

In F1, for a driver it's a gamble whatever you do - Just ask Fernando Alonso!

Max may see Ferrari as a better chance to demonstrate his abilities than he is currently getting at Red Bull, and a chance to be part of a special piece of F1 history!

25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As you said: you will never know.
    But I would put my money rather on RB than Ferrari once the regulations change and the engine (or "power-unit") is not the dominant factor anymore as RB (with Newey) are still great in aerodynamics. So as long as this formula stays I would say Mercedes remains the car to beat and after that the chances are good that RB is again in the game.
    Over the last years Ferrari seems to have more internal problems than the other top teams and without continuity I do not see them coming out on top. It takes years as seen in the Schumacher-era and with Mercedes as well.