Mercedes quit DTM Frocuses on F1 and new Formula E entry | FerrariChat

Mercedes quit DTM Frocuses on F1 and new Formula E entry

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tifosi Ferrari, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    everyone wants to go to formula E...and i don't have the slightest desire to watch it...

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A lot of journo's are paid to push it's popularity. One just said ''The cars aren't slow at all'' bla bla. I just told him KF3 karts (those are junior karts for 12-15 year old!) are faster on the same track.

Myth debunked. He's not come back to me yet though:D

3. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I guess they benefit enormously of being the Formula 1 of electric cars, a label that suggests the extremes of car development being explored. This is obviously not true. But I guess at the moment you get quite the bang for the buck when participating in FE.

Anyways, I guess it is telling that the big names are jumping onboard at FE. But more importantly at cost of participiation on conventional motor racing. I guess DTM has never quite had the appeal and might now need to think about its relevance. With only BMW and AUDI left they are in a sad state.

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    The manufacturers aren't going to FE because anyone thinks it will be a popular series with fans. They are all very serious about battery and motor technology for road hybrid and electric applications, and want the racing environment to accelerate development.

Makes sense to do FE and F1, as there's probably big scope for cross-development. F1 will start diverging from road cars with the next powertrain formula so it makes sense to have a series that goes in that direction. And F1 will benefit since it won't have to be all things to all stakeholders.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    FE is slow the F1 team can use FE on its faster tracks to develop aerodynamic packages for the slow F1 tracks like Monaco.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm glad Mercedes finally starts to focus on F1 and take it more seriously. They have been really squandering their efforts in the past few years...

7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    :D

8. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I tried to watch Formula E last night on re-broadcast. I didn't even watch long enough to know where or who was racing.

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh and great... Merc will enter FE and develop amazing battery and electric motor technology... then somehow convince the FIA to make it all part of the new regs in 2021 so they can destroy everyone like they are now. Super.

10. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
  11. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    TOTALLY agree!

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Formula E is a pr exercise. The cars are slow, the tracks are rubbish. The cars can't even make it the race distance without a car swap at half way. It's useless.

14. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    You are all aware that France and now Britain are outlawing petrol and diesel engined cars in 2040. Its about clean air.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

Lots of work is being done on battery technology. But remember, the rare earth required for battery and electric motor production comes from China (they've got over 95% of the world resources).

And also, back in the late 1990s, the TV analysts were saying fuel cells would be in production in 10 years time. 10 years time was 10 years ago, and we are still not there.

And then no one is addressing from where the electricity is coming. We know France has plenty of nuclear production, but the rest of Europe and the US?

15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yeah, just a political statement for the sake of it, Britain moves like a snail - infrastructure for electric cars will take years more than any quotes they try to make, Christ, if they close a road for resurfacing and give dates for it to reopen, you always add at least 50% more time to it, if not 100%, and you'd still be wrong as to when they will be finished. I won't hold my breath, but I hope I'm dead by the time we have to use soulless boring cars like teslas and the rest

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Formula e costs peanuts for these guys and is a good PR exercise, so I see the logic in it.

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Me too, FE has no appeal, slow, boring, noiseless, oooh spectators can vote to boost the cars like voting for their favourite housemate in big brother - what a lot of fake BS.

Racing was never a PC exercise, it was always fast, fun, noisy, anti-social, smelly etc etc. FE is none of those things, I'm imagining it's like going on holiday to Blackpool instead of Las Vegas just because Blackpool has lights and strip clubs - it doesn't make Blackpool into Las Vegas in anyone's mind but yours, it's still a slightly lively wet northern seaside town, where Vegas is an entertainment colossus with excitement around every single corner and the ability to do what you want, whenever you want with who you want on a scale that Blackpool has no comprehension of

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I keep saying it: Electric is a stop gap end off. All they're doing is moving where the dirt comes from. Petrol cars are getting ever cleaner. The lithium batteries are enormously damaging and dirty to mine, and even worse to get rid of! It quite simply is NOT the answer.

15 years ago we where all told to dump our petrol cars and buy diesel. To make it more attractive, they made diesel a cheaper fuel and subsidize the cars. Now suddenly they've decided diesel are far worse than petrol cars and people with diesels can't get rid of their expensive and increasingly higher taxed ornaments.

The same will happen with electric cars. Hydrogen will be the future, and it's a lot smarter to work on making that process more efficient than ****ing around with lithium.

19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Hydrogen is never going to happen. The process to create it is far too wasteful/expensive/laborious and it is incredibly difficult to store safely.

It is a pipe dream of those betting against electric with their bank accounts.

20. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I have not been involved with fuel cells in many years, however, I do remember it said that it took a lot of electricity to make hydrogen. And the only thing coming out of the exhaust pipe was water.

Now, say that we have 50% of the cars in 50 years running hydrogen power units, producing electricity to run electric motors, how much water will be added to the atmosphere and what will that effect be on "climate change"?

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    They just need to find better batteries than lithium and there are already some good advances on this matter.

Hydrogen still requires a combustion which is a pretty primitive concept imo

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I believe that. Hydrogen cannot be produced in enough quantity to supply the market.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yeah, absolutely.