Sauber-Ferrari | FerrariChat

Sauber-Ferrari

Discussion in 'F1' started by dflett, Jul 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And they will have top spec engines.

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    End of the line for Wehrlein perhaps. Ferrari will want to put their young drivers in.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yep... I'm sure that's part of the deal. They need a development team.

5. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Marcus must be bring in mad cash to the team because he is nothing!!! Even Di Resta beat him today!!!

I've come to the conclusion that Sauber is the only cars that Stroll can actually beat without resorting to mechanical break downs by other teams

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Forza Sauber :)

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JULY 31, 2017

Sauber to be Ferrari junior team says Marchionne

Sergio Marchionne has admitted Sauber could become "a kind of junior team" for Ferrari.

Last week, former F1 team founder Gian Carlo Minardi said the so-called Ferrari 'B team' Haas announcing an unchanged driver lineup for 2018 was "a missed opportunity for Ferrari".

That's because Ferrari junior drivers Antonio Giovinazzi and Charles Leclerc would be left out in the cold for 2018.

At the time Minardi spoke, Sauber was still linked with a move from Ferrari to Honda power, having also committed to giving Honda-linked driver Nobuharu Matsu****a a test this week.

But then, everything changed in Hungary.

New Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur axed the Honda deal and signed up for current-specification Ferrari engines for 2018.

Speaking on a visit to the paddock, Ferrari president Marchionne said in Hungary: "The engines for Sauber are also a way to create a kind of junior team for our young drivers.

"We have two great young talents, but to secure the future of Ferrari, we need the chance to train them somewhere.

"We need space for them, so it's a great idea and we're working on it," Marchionne added.

"Maurizio Arrivabene has worked hard on this project, and I want to say also that in agreement with Liberty Media we will also increase the number of customers for our engines."

While Monaco-born Leclerc is dominating Formula 2 so far this year, first in line for a Sauber vacancy would actually be Italian Giovinazzi.

"They tell me Giovinazzi did a great job for us, driving here (for Haas) on Friday and then on Friday night returning to be in the simulator," said Marchionne.

"He worked late to make sure there was no mistake in balancing the car. He's back here (in Hungary) with us now and I see that quite rightly he is tired," he smiled.

Marchionne admits he had a meeting with his Mercedes counterpart Toto Wolff in Hungary, with one of the topics being the German marque's entry into Formula E.

He also responded to Wolff's claim that Ferrari was strong in Hungary mainly because the slow circuit and high temperatures suited the red car.

"We do not minimise the work of our guys," Marchionne said, "but there are two fast circuits in Spa and Monza coming up, so we'll see there," said Marchionne.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Glad to see them using their head. However, Leclerc has to be the future. Giovinazzi is good but Leclerc has dominated like never before, and lets not forget he's a rookie in F2. All others that dominated as such where in GP2 for multiple years already (their chassis remains the same for several years, as do the tires), so not only do their rivals leave over time, they get used to the cars and know more than the rookies coming in.

It's tough on Gio, but the world is not fair: If there is a better alternative, which I believe Leclerc is, that guy should be chosen.

Regardless, that doesn't mean it's over for GIO just yet. He's done a wonderful job on the setup in the sim last weekend for Ferrari.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Bravo! Good news. I always liked Sauber.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It's a win win situation for Sauber, better engines and better drivers...

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    As long as those Swedes can pay the bills...

Ericsson family must be really good friends of those investors to make them fund a whole F1 team for their kid.

12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    AUGUST 1, 2017

F1 exit likely for Wehrlein

Pascal Wehrlein says he is doing all he can to stay in formula one beyond 2017.

Germany's Bild newspaper says it is likely the 22-year-old will lose his seat at Sauber at the end of the year.

That is because Sauber's owner is closely linked with Marcus Ericsson, while the other seat will go to Antonio Giovinazzi or Charles Leclerc as a result of the new Ferrari engine deal.

Wehrlein is supported by Mercedes, but there appears to be no room at a Mercedes-powered team or elsewhere for the German for 2018.

"I have scored all five points," he told Bild, "and in qualifying it is 8:2 for me against Ericsson. What more can I do?"

Bild and Blick (Switzerland) newspapers said a return to the German touring car series DTM, where Wehrlein won the title in 2015, or Formula E are his most likely 2018 alternatives.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Might be a very small chance at Williams. but i doubt he would be much faster than Massa,if at all.Stroll is of course gold plated just like Ericsson who is currently in pole position for worst driver on the grid award this year.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Now I suspect you are Leclerc's manager.

Most of your posts are pushing for him to get a drive in F1!

I am only kidding ...

Has he done a F1 test yet?

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ericsson doesn't inspire, doesn't offend I guess... he's just there taking up a seat. He's the potted plant of F1.

16. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
  17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Currently Haas & Sauber - who else ?

19. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Are the manufacturers forced to provide all the ins and outs of their PUs to their customers or are they left to figure a lot of it out themselves. Surely Merc knows how to unlock more power out of their PU than Williams does.

20. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  21. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    More here:
    Alfa Romeo set to power Haas and Sauber | GRAND PRIX 247
    Good render:
    https://emikp.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/alfa-sauber1.png

22. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Alfa? Why not Dodge? (sarcasm intended)

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What about Jeep? Ram is also a possibility, perhaps they could sign Kvyat?