F1 team budgets | FerrariChat

F1 team budgets

Discussion in 'F1' started by Asian1118, Mar 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    during the race today they said taht the red bull team had the smallest and honda had the largest budget. What is the diffrence between the 2?

2. MaxN

MaxN Rookie

Feb 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I did not hear that during the race - but then it was kinda early :)

From memory, Toyota and Ferrari are the really big spenders, with budgets around the $350M level, Renault where around the $300M mark last year. Honda where said to be 'investing' around $280M in F1 iun 2005.

Minardi, had an apparent $50M budget in 2005, so I guess that the difference last year was about $300M or about 4 seconds / lap :)

3. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    they were talking about it when scott speed was in 12 earily in the race i remember the top teams last year were around 300 but i dindt think the other teams were that far behind

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Its amazing to me that spending 50 MILLION dollars in ONE YEAR to race cars around a track is considered to be dirt-poor. Wow.

Do you think anyone besides Ferrari actually sees a return on that investment? Ferrari was founded in racing, and will always be inextricably linked ot racing. As far as I am concerned, Ferrari MUST stay in racing to keep that luster and credibility trickling down to their street cars. Plus one can see an obvious technology transfer from their F1 cars to the road cars. But I doubt many people are walking down to the Toyota dealer becasue of how their F1 team did in last week's race. JMHO.

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    toyota has the largest budget by a substantial amount over everyone.

6. Krafty

Krafty Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Lake Oswego Oregon
    Full Name:
    Alex Kraft
    i think both Toyota and Honda are just throwing the money away. who buys a honda because of its racing? who wants a toyota or lexus because of F1? and i dont know if i want red bull...unless they can fit a ferrari engine in that little can..

7. Bakasan

Bakasan Rookie

Dec 11, 2004
    From F1 Racing, 2005 F1 Operational Budgets:

1- Toyota $499.05m
    2- Ferrari $432.98m
    3- Mclaren-Mercedes 419.95m
    4- BAR Honda $360.16m
    5- BMW Williams $360.12m
    6- Renault $287.81m
    7- Sauber Petronas $161.32m
    8- Red Bull $139.22m
    9- Jordan $104.20
    10- Minardi $50.31m

8. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    WOW thats alot of camry's

9. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Now how many Pay thier drivers and how many have paying drivers? :)

There are a lot of costs that are mixed in that are not obvious until you see specific cost report done by the teams on where money might actually be going.

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Me that's who.

I have two Lexus' now, I dumped my crappy benz's ( they were crap to say the least ). And I am supporting toyota.

Oh yeah, and my fcar.

11. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
  12. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    are there figures on how much the teams make? do sponsors pay a ton to have ther name on the car i remember hearing marlbro has a contract with ferrari for 900M over 10 years

13. Krafty

Krafty Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Lake Oswego Oregon
    Full Name:
    Alex Kraft
    what kind of lexus' do u have?

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    If you figure in the private testing Ferrari does on it's own track Ferrari spends the most. With that I mean, take out the private track and apply those testing miles to the tracks the other teams use, and their budget would be the highest. Ferrari's made back it's investment on that track 100 times over.

Anthony, as far as the articles on Pittpass about Toyota goes give me a break. Every team "cheats" in one way or another. Rules are made to be bent. Sometimes you bend them so far you break them. :rolleyes: Ferrari's current rear wing comes to mind. Why isn't Nikki screaming about that? Or what about Honda's (whom he's in a self professed love affair with) fuel tank last year. Or their front differential the year before? He’s got an ax to grind and he’s certainly doing it. Is it any wonder that He’s a Honda fan and hates Toyota?

I should dig up my old Race Car Engineering on the best cheating that's occurred. They covered everything from paper mache roll bars to fire bottles filled with NOS. And yes it was a top European rally team that used the NOS, not Toyota.

15. EuroTrash

EuroTrash Rookie

Mar 16, 2004
    I remember reading somewhere that Toyota spends about 4% of its annual marketing budget in F1. I'd assume that a large portion of that near $500m budget is funded by Panasonic and all of the other team sponsors. Most interesting though is that the F1 program is bankrolled by the marketing department of the carmaker. Clearly they're in F1 to sell more Camrys whereas Ferrari sells F-cars so that they can be in F1.

I remember meeting Tom Milner of PTG Racing (races factory BMW's) who said that these days, motor racing is all marketing. Listening to the F1 drivers talk, they all want to win races and win championships. They see the PR stuff as a necessary evil...unlike NASCAR.

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Boy that would really suck if that car DID roll over and catch on fire!

17. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I think in 2006, Torro Ross will leap past MF1 (erstwhile Jordan) and BMW (nee Sauber) will increase its budget substantially. Renault looks like it did a fantastic job given its investment and its 06 car looks to be equally competent. I wonder if Ferrari can afford to sustain such expenditure. Williams budget may have dropped w/o BMW bankrolling part of the operation.

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Me's guessing when Senna drove a McClaren-Honda that Honda probably made a few bucks, especially in their Acura line...

You'd think if the folks wanted to save a few bucks, they'd go throw money at something like the ALMS Series.

I'm anxiously awaiting for the arrival of the Kia and Hyundai F1 teams...

19. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    Today it's largely about B to B. When Intel partners up w/ BMW, there's no expectation that F1 fans across the world will start clamoring for Intel chips inside every electronic item they buy. Instead, they are both using the F1 relationship to collaborate on technology and research. Results could be manifest throughout the supply chain for BMW. Intel has a marketing venue for employees, corporate partners, and a forum to incubate new relationships.

Another example is Honda. For years, first as an engine supplier, Honda has used the rapid pace of development and necessity for instant decision-making that is prevalent in F1 as a development tool for selected candidates from their management and engineering ranks. Bottom line: succesful performance for a season or two as part of the F1 effort primes you for big things in the Honda corporate structure.

More about the business aspects of F1 can be found in the UK mag Business F1.

That's what I'm talking about.

Cheers