Got beat by a Subaru!! | FerrariChat

Got beat by a Subaru!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HMS, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    I hate Subaru's!!! Looked like a new WRX. That little sh*t is fast. He was on my tail going up Cold Water Canyon, so I stepped on it and tried to pull away but couldn't shake this guy!! So he finally passed me and just kept pulling away. I'm a pretty good driver but this guy just out powered me. I know there is no comparison between the two cars but it still bugs me that a 30K 4 cylinder car can do this to a 360.

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Must have been STi and must have been modded. Scooby is good but not that good.

Edit: Stock STi is faster than a 996 Carrera, however. :) I would trade in my '02 WRX if it weren't for that ricer wing...

3. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    I'm pretty sure it was an STI because it did have a big wing. Don't know if it was modded but I could hear his turbo as he passed me.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Dude, I drove one of those the other day. That f^&*er is fast. Then, I raced a pretty modded one one with the 355 two weeks ago and I was very slightly faster. Therefore, I would say that whatever you were playing with was something highly modified. They are great little cars, though. I'm thinking about buying one.

5. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You know all his friends are going to hear about how he beat a Ferrari.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    At least two of the members at dinner last week have STI's. Both silver, and one had the trunk lid swapped for an RS lid (smaller wing) for more of a sleeper. They love them.

7. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Ryan, that makes two of us. I hate that car so much I'm gonna go to the Subaru dealer this weekend to check one out. Though, if i get one, that rear wing has to go.;)

8. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    I agree about the ugliness of that spoiler, but alos that it is a very fast car. A friend of mine has an 02' STi with moderate mods, he had it 4-wheeled dynoed and it got more than 340 horses to the wheels on med/high boost. plus with the all wheel drive, it can get the power down pretty good.

MD

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I'm only 28. I can get away with the giant wing :D.

At any rate, you'll be surprised. It still feels like a $25k japanese car but when you push the pedal down, it goes. The 355 goes really fast but it's very dramatic (with the Tubi) and it builds with this insane rush. With the STI, you just hear the tubos spool up and you get pushed back into those cheap plush seats. It's something else. And that's without the mods all these kids are doing.

As someone who can't bring himself to spend more than $30k on a daily driver (I'm driving a Toyota 4x4 right now) this really looks good.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well you know, Ferrari arent all about going fast. I mean you could of told him all about Ferraris racing heritage. Im sure he wouldnt of felt as good for beating you after that!

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

LOL!!!!

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah you have to watch those STi's. They are serious little cars. Not to mention they are ridiculously easy to get more hp out of. Oh - and in the rumor mill for 05 for the STi, there will be a spoiler delete option......I might have to pick one up myself now.......

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just replaced a set of front brakes on an STi last week. The brake job cost 2kcnd. Yes thats a 2 and then a thousand following. The pads were 800.and the rotors were 625 each!!
    Your guys might have it cheaper in the US though. I could not justify spend that for brakes on a 30kUs car!!

Oh yes..they are very fast!

14. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    or, you could spend a little more on an F-50 and walk all over him next time!
    Man, I love those cars! I'm getting excited just thinking about it..

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have an STI myself. Take a look at the stats. It's about as fast as anything, stops as fast as anything and handles about as well as anything. And it will play in mud and snow too!
    Not only that, but the STI has big time racing heritage in the WRC.
    My gut is that on a real twisty road, the STI will take out a 360. The AWD just gets power to the ground on exits. On a more open track with high speed sweepers, the 360 should win, but I would not count on it and if the Subie driver is a little better, the 360 driver can be embarressed.
    The 360 can retain bragging rights on top speed since the STI is electronically limited to 145. Oh well!
    I have been told that Subaru sells parts that will raise the HP to 450 and still retain warranty. My gut is that the redline is lower than need be to make the motors last. It has a big bore and short stroke. Hits the rev limiter very easily. I think there are a lot more ponies waiting to be unleashed. I also believe handling can be improved by merely switching from the stock 225's to 245's. It already has huge Brembos, so much more to do on brakes.
    Being 53, I have embraced the boy racer look. I like the big spoiler which, unlike most, is actually functional at 80 MPH+. The giant hood scoop also feeds the intercooler. I know other owners that bought regular Imprezza trunk lids for everyday driving however.

On a personal note, I have tried out many modern performance cars and most just aren't that much fun. Even though most can blow away my 89 328, the 328 is just plain fun. The STI is great fun. It begs you to drive fast, throw it into corners, even just whip around a parking lot. All for about 32K.

When parked in the garage with the 328 GTB, I call them the "beauty and the beast"

Dave

16. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

17. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Ok, such a Subaru might be fast and a real good drivers car BUT it stays just a Subaru. There are a lot of very good, fast and beautiful cars BUT... they all miss that something that makes a Ferrari sooo special! It simply is a legend with racing heritage and Italian style! No car can beat that.

Greets, Alex.

18. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

You know, Allen, once upon a time, that comment would have bugged me.
    - But how can I argue with you on that?

>but it still bugs me that a 30K 4 cylinder car can do this to a 360.

Why? Get used to it - There is a ton of street trash that could pass you so fast, you just might step out to see why your 360 had stopped!

Actually, it does bug me to no end, that the Ferrari mystique is just that. -When it comes to "go fast," that is. :(

I just ignore everyone that wants to race - can't stand losing....and focus on the beauty and the mystique that is Ferrari.

19. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is this the car? They all look the same to me?

20. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  21. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Mark the blue car you posted is a Lexus IS300 or Toyota Altezz in Japan.

The second car you posted is a Mazda RX8

22. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    <shamelessplug> If you guys are interested in a WRX or WRX Sti on the east coast my family has several dealerships: www.danperkins.com . </shamlessplug>

23. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    The STi is a quick saloon car. The '03 Mustang Cobra in stock trim is slightly quicker though, for the same price. Both are very capable cars, easy to modify and make very fast. You can slap on a Kenne Bell supercharger on the Cobra, get a tune and be pushing out ~600 rwhp. But in the end, it's still a Mustang, not a Ferrari.

24. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks guys, I guess I"m just clueless. Maybe it was the girls that had me distracted.

I think I've got the right beast this time???

25. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Don't feel bad HMS, at the end of the day you are in a 360 and he is not. On the other hand, I leave STI's alone since most that I have seen are already heavily modded.