Ferrari Brand Name- Most recognized in the world? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Brand Name- Most recognized in the world?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Janzen, Jun 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    I thought a I read somewhere that the Ferrari brand name is the most recognized automotive marque (or even brand name period) world wide. Is there actual data to back that up? A good friend and I got into a discussion tonight about the whole Ferrrari vs. Lamborghini issue and just overall mystique. Obviously this forum is a bit jaded, but that being said, is there any definitive data to back up my assertion that Ferrari is known by name just about everywhere, where Lamborghini makes great cars but......

2. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I have no data whatsoever, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari were the best known automotive brand. Since that would be largely due to its racing success, it would be far ahead of Lamborghini. Others in the running could be Rolls Royce, Ford, perhaps Mercedes. (I am talking about the overall public, not just car nuts.)

But in terms of overall brand recognition, they'd all take a back seat to Coca Cola, among others.

3. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I firmly believe that Coca Cola is the most recognizable brand name in the world.

Ford or Mercedes is probably the most known car brand.

Ferrari is probably the most known sports car brand.

4. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    I think that Ferrari was the most searched (car)brand on the Google searchengine...?

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I believe I've heard that it's Ford.
    I doubt the villagers in Namibia have any clue that people race cars.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. TBond8

TBond8 Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    CT,CA, Europe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I was told several years ago by a gentleman that worked in this area that the three best known brands were Coke Cola, IBM, and Ferrari. He expressed to me that these companies logos are the best known. I would not be surprised that Ferrari ranks this high. The Ferrari logos are so well known even by people who are not interested in automobiles.

Thanks,

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I remember reading once that the three most popular (and successful?) brands in the world were Marlboro, Coca Cola and Budweiser - in that order...

If Ferrari is the most recognizable automotive brand, then I must have some magical gift for finding that small percentage of people who don't know what it is... Every time someone sees my tattoo, they ask if it's a Mustang... :)

9. TB Marketing

TB Marketing Karting

May 21, 2006
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't know if it is the most recognized, but I was thinking that I heard somewhere that F1 is the most watched sport in the world. In that case, maybe Ferrari is??? No data, just thought I remembered it from somewhere.

10. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I do believe that the "SHELL" brand is also one of the oldest and best known brands in the World as well, and one of the best recogniseable brands!

11. TB Marketing

TB Marketing Karting

May 21, 2006
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And there it seems that just a lot of musice videos especially rap, have Ferrari's in them, so it helps to be recognized by that demographic.

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Hey, hey, hey.....Formula 1 ia very big with the Namibian villagers. In fact they all gather arount the satellite radio to listen live broadcasts. There is even talk of the GP of Namibia, to be sponsered by Hornsaway, a Rhino repellent company. I can see it now..."Alonso has spun at the first bush, just past the bilbao tree"....

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Playboy, Hustler, Trojan, KY

where would we be without them ? :)

14. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Not ferraris but don't they have rallying out there

15. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I would have said Ferrari, as thats who most manufacturers try and compare their cars to

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe we should clarify the original post.

I've seen brand recognition tests where people have to associate a name ("Coca Cola", "Nike", "Mercedes", "IBM" etc.) with a graphic representation. So the Nike swoosh, the Mercedes three-pointed star in a circle, interlocked Gucci 'G's would be shown and people say the brand.

I would guess showing someone the prancing horse on yellow background wouldn't have the same recognition level as the other products. Normal people don't see it that often -- zero advertising, basically.

Another type of test is saying the brand name and asking people what the company makes. I'm sure 'Ferrari' would have an extremely high recognition rate as a maker of expensive sports cars. If this is what you meant, I'd agree Ferrari is among the most powerful brands in the world.

17. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    FWIW:

Coca Cola, McDonalds and Marlboro are the names I had always heard as most recognized brand names.

18. yellow jacket

yellow jacket Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Modesto CA
    Full Name:
    Charles Lunsford
    As popular as we all believe the Ferrari name is, I can't imagine there's a human on this planet that hasn't heard of Ford.....Charlie

19. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Coca-cola is tops, and I would say ford for automotive

20. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    have to agree

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    http://www.snopes.com/business/market/brandnames.asp
    Claim: The three most valuable brand names on earth are Marlboro, Coca Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

Interbrand assigns values to brand names based upon four criteria (too technical to go into here) and publishes an annual list of their brand name rankings. The brands they valuate must be worth more than $1 billion, they must be marketed globally, and they must make sufficient marketing and financial data about themselves publicly available. (Brands such as VISA and Mars don't qualify because their financial data are not publicly available). Companies which manage portfolios of brand names (such as Procter & Gamble) are ranked separately.

The widely-circulated bit of Internet trivia cited above — which claims "the three most valuable brand names on earth are Marlboro, Coca Cola, and Budweiser" — is based on an Interbrand survey, but it comes from an older survey which is now outdated. According to the 2002 rankings of the World's Most Valuable Brands, compiled by Interbrand and BusinessWeek magazine, Marlboro is no longer the #1 brand name, having tumbled to 9th place. Budweiser has fallen even farther, down to 24th place.

Coca-Cola is still going strong, however, holding down the #1 spot as the world's highest-ranked brand name in both 2001 and 2002, followed by Microsoft and IBM. Rounding out the top ten are (in order) General Electric, Intel, Nokia, Disney, McDonald's, Marlboro, and Mercedes.

Last updated: 5 July 2003
    _______

http://www.businessweek.com/pdfs/2002/0231-brands.pdf
    2002 Top 100 List

22. yellow jacket

yellow jacket Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Modesto CA
    Full Name:
    Charles Lunsford
    Lot of interesting information WAX, but I can't believe that if you lined up all the people in the world and asked them what a Ford is, anyone would say " A what? " Equally, if all were asked what Nokia and Intel were I'd be just as surprised if all and I mean all, knew. Just my opinion, but I'd bet on it.....Charlie

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "Most valuable" may not mean "Most recognizable."

24. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Land Rover.

25. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    No way, man, who can keep straight the difference between Range Rover and Land Rover? Too much muddying (hah hah hah!) of the trademarks! ;)