Who made the first supercar? | FerrariChat

Who made the first supercar?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by J.P.Sarti, Dec 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Though the term originated in the 70s IMO it would be the Ferrari 250GTO, the ultimate street/race car in its day.

Others could be Bugatti or even pre war Alfas.

Any opinions?

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

jeff, i think it would be the muira...?

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think there could be a distinction between a race car and a supercar

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
  5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Countach was the first I remember.
    BT

6. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I agree on the difference with a race car vs street but the term may have began in the 70s but other cars qualify for it as well such as a 250GTO which you could drive to the race track, win and go back home in it, surely a supercar in its day.

Supercar means the ultimate of cars in performance and looks regardless of year made.

7. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    It’s generally regarded to be Lambo with the Miura by most motoring authorities. Depends on your definition of supercar though.

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #8 chaa, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Bentley Blowers were quite a car in the 1920s compared to the run of the mill cars around then. They won a siht load of races and were driven on the roads after the races, made famous by the Bentley boys. These IMO were the first supercars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Then surely the Mercs with superchargers before them were the first?

Imo opinion it not just about speed, if it were a merc sl65 could be regarded as a supercar, it isn’t. Its not just about looks, or a Ferrari 355 would be a supercar, it isn’t. It’s about an intangible mixture of both looks, performance and more importantly emotion.

10. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    If the Bentleys blowers came out in 1921? then what was the merc that had a supercharger on before them?? Ya got to name names mate;) The SL65 you named is made in a world of supercars. Cars like the Bentley and Miura ect were made in a world were there no cars that could equil them at that time.

11. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    McLaren F1 !

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I think it was the Miura also.

13. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Ferrari. The 250LM. Yes it is a race car, but a few were actually driven on the street. Everything screams supercar. Light weight, mid-engine,fast and sexy as hell.

Darrell.

14. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    1928, merc released the supercharger in its racing cars, designed by Porsche. Only in ’29 did Birkin, with funds from his girlfriend put supercharges in a few Bentelys (W.O. never liked them, they were never official cars) to compete at Le Mans I think. They all blew up, but so did the mercs chasing them, and a normally aspirated Bentley won. Someone might correct me because this is all off the top of my head. .

15. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The Mercades 300SL

Catondrugs likes this.
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    chaa and I are better versed in history! spot on, mate.

Bentley is a good choice though my personal fave would be the Millers.

So the Miller 4WD Indy car was light years ahead of it's time applying 4WD to the track, only a minor tech problem typical to all 4 cars, brought disaster.

There were Miller Leach Specials at the Indy 500 in 1920 and 1921.

And Miller supplied the engines to the Leach road car built in California (Autoweek)....all the crankshafts snapped in about 100 cars, and that was the end of that......only ONE example survives....

The restored Miller in the Smithsonian (not 4WD car) was found dust covered in Bugatti's factory, where the engine had been disassembled.. for technical evaluation......;)

So I vote Miller!

17. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Also, the Miura came out in a world of full of huge horsepower American cars.

A 69 charger 440 is probably faster than Lambo Miura, yet no one would ever argue the charger was a supercar. There’s more to a supercar than speed, or looks, in my opinion.

18. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    The Blower in the picture above is an original one that belongs to my boss and is dated 1922-1923.

19. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    LJK Setright coined the term "Supercar" to describe the Miura in the 60's, writing in CAR magazine.

Andy

20. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
  21. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Technically that ends the debate then :D

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You may very well be right about the dates, i never paid hundreds of thousands of £££ out for it, he did:D Although i could give you the date later when i see him. the Bentley club know of his car due to one of there guys checking it out before purchase.

23. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I'm tempted to say 300SL, but I don't know my car history well enough to be sure.

24. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Best not to tell him! :D Tbh I only know that much because I got into conversation with a Birkin Blower owner earlier in the year.

25. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Best not tell him what?? Its a real one dude, it was ME that thought the date was early 20s of the top of me head not him. The guys has an extensive collection of exotics mate, this is just one.