How do you become a Ferrari technician? | FerrariChat

How do you become a Ferrari technician?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chdnny, Dec 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chdnny

chdnny Rookie

Dec 18, 2006
    Hey all,

This is my first post and I have a question. How do you become a Ferrari technician? Currently I am attending a technical school to originally to be a fabricator because they have those classes here. But now I want to become a technician. This school covers all of ASE Automobile/Light Truck Certification stuff so I told thought why not. They offer manufacturer specific programs to people that want to become certified with a certain manufacturer.

I really dont have a way to become a Ferrari tech mapped out. All I know on how to get there(or how I think I can get there) is to become a certified technician and work for a shop who work on high end cars, but from there it's all a mystery to me.

Any information would be awesome and greatly appreciated, thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have been one for a few decades. If you really want to know PM me and in your PM let me know where you are.

I will say from the perspective of one who has done it for a few years and as one who has been responsible for hiring and supervision not only in multiple Ferrari dealers but also in my own business I would forget about any of the automotive trade schools. I have hired several grads from them and on balance they are pretty useless. At least for the Ferrari business. They just are not teaching what is needed. They are really lacking in teaching basic fundamentals and theory. Until you understand that all you really are is a trained monkey changing parts, you are not fixing cars. You are far better off getting a job as a bottom rung apprentice in a good shop under good mechanics and learning from them. I was approached to teach at one of the better known schools and looked at them for a while and was appalled at how bad it was. I came away withg a very strong reinforcement of the old saying "If you can't do, teach".

4. chdnny

chdnny Rookie

Dec 18, 2006
  5. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    chdnny, take advantage of Brian's advice.

He's one of the best in the business.

6. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle

My older brother was smart enough to realize this about a major technical school about 3 months before he went and backed out of going. Lucky for him, he has used his true skills to work his way to being a technician at a local dealer. If he had gone to this school, this would not have happened for him.

7. prior

prior Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    Yeah, I did everything backwards and was lucky enough to land a job right as they were opening up a new dealership here in las vegas. You do get some knowledgable guys that come out of tech schools, but they seem to be few and far between. I started as an apprentice almost two years ago and have learned more than you ever would in school. There's nothing wrong with a proper eduacation... It's just that things worked out a little differently for me. Dealerships and manufactures are going the way of computers nowadays and it gives younger guys like us an edge. It's cool to have all the veterans asking for help with computer stuff, haha. My ASE certs didnt really matter so much but I went ahead and got all of them anyways.

Listen to the veterans on this board... I find myself searching rifledrivers posts quite often when I want to learn something, heh.

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm friends with the former head Ferrari mechanic at MAG in Columbus. Most miserable SOB I know. No kidding.

9. prior

prior Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    life is what you make of it really. i like working on cars right now. do i see myself doing the same thing 15-20 years down the road? who knows? life is too short to be miserable.

i enjoy the hell out of driving them, haha

10. chdnny

chdnny Rookie

Dec 18, 2006
    Thats another question I have, how is being a ferrari technician?
    Is there such thing as flat rate being a ferrari tech?
    do Ferrari technicians make enough to own a Ferrari?

I personally do not know any ferrari techs and cant imagine how it is. I do not own a ferrari or know anyone who does, I just know when I think of Ferrari i think of the best and I want to work on them, own them, drive them, etc.

11. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Here I must say you're completely right on this one. I've got the same problem , but in a completely other field of proffesion. I'm a chef, first thing I say when a newbie arrives is: All you've learned in school, FORGET IT INSTANTLY! Some schools train those kids with stuff already used by Napoleon or his friends, due to a lack of funding, teachers are unaware of the real world and that wears over on these young guys or girls. They're been trained in situations where stress is NO factor, where in real life, you sometimes forget what day it is. The youngsters that come in on a apprentice contract go to school one day a week, the rest they work. Those are the ones to keep.
    Best
    Jurgen

12. chdnny

chdnny Rookie

Dec 18, 2006
    Right when I join school I hear these things. I intern at a hot rod shop and it has some graduates of my school working there. He told me he has to retrain all the graduates he had so far.

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    For the most part I agree with Brians post. One variable is that the tech schools are able to get a good understanding of the basics firmly implanted. Past that they fall down hard as they teach parts replacement.

I started on English Sports cars as my specialty as there was no one doing it properly at the time and there were many frusturated owners looking for help. Rolls Royce / Bently was a natural next step and soon a master Ferrari tech was bringing me his over flow work.

If you have a firm grasp of ALL of the basics and you are able to focus on perfection (I am the son of an Apollo Aerospace Engineer, it was engrained in me from an early age) and not simply income, you can make your mark early on and Ferrari will be a natural.

Ferrari repair can be a two edged devil. Ferrari, in my book, requires perfection in repairs with zero comebacks. That does not add up to income, that adds up to many non chargeable hours double checking work done. Flat rate is for Toyotas and Hondas but flat rate is where the money is if you are young, strong and have a good drive. The payback of taking your time, charging honest rates, etc.. pays back on Ferraris after a number of years but few young folks are willing to sacrifice income and wait that long.

Yes you can own a Ferrari on a techs income. After 30 years we finally do but I had 4 black holes that sucked up money before that. Three kids and racing postponed our Ferrari purchase. The kids are now grown and I am far too old to be competitive in racing so we finally own one.

You get the right mindset and are willing to invest long term and Ferrari will be a good future if you can find the right person to apprentice under. If you believe the sunshine the tech schools tech you about an $80K starting sallery after graduation run on over to Honda and Toyota, there it can be done.

Dave

14. chdnny

chdnny Rookie

Dec 18, 2006
    This is great, the advice is very helpful. I see your point about perfection. Thats something I need to work on, but color sanding a $30,000 candy paint job is great practice. I can't wait until Im 18 and can drive a car so I can actually do something with this information and pursue an apprenticeship, thank you Mr. Helms

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

First time I ever heard him called Mister.

I guess we're getting old.

16. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Go to college, get a degree and THEN decide if you want to be an auto mechanic.

G

17. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    I just thought I would jump in here as this is a topic that I have been interested in as well. I am tinkering in the mechanic profession right now. I actually have a degree in Mechancal Engineering and am working on my PhD. I have already finished all of my classwork for the PhD. but have run into some problems getting finished as I have had two professors leave me for other schools. In my spare time I decided to start taking Auto tech classes at the local technical school and got a job as an entry level tech. I have to say that maybe it's just my experience but I find the instructors here at the tech school to be very knowledgeable and really good teachers. Not everyone will get the same education from them that I will. But I find the experience to be very beneficial and I've really enjoyed it.

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    David is right on when he says:

"If you have a firm grasp of ALL of the basics and you are able to focus on perfection (I am the son of an Apollo Aerospace Engineer, it was engrained in me from an early age) and not simply income, you can make your mark early on and Ferrari will be a natural.

Ferrari repair can be a two edged devil. Ferrari, in my book, requires perfection in repairs with zero comebacks. That does not add up to income, that adds up to many non chargeable hours double checking work done...

The payback of taking your time, charging honest rates, etc.. pays back on Ferraris after a number of years but few young folks are willing to sacrifice income and wait that long."

All good and sage advice.

I became a tech because I couldn't find anyone who could tune my "new" BMW 2002tii fuel injection properly. Then, because I wanted to do some mods on my "new" Fiat 131. Then, because I needed to learn how to set up Spica fuel injection for Alfa Romeos. I had a mentor who taught me how to use precision measuring tools, who took the time to teach me "how tight is not enough" and, more importantly, "how tight is too tight." After reading everything I could on F-cars, I had the balls (or was naive) to walk into a local mogul's office and ask him if I could work on his "new" 308. He didn't know me from Adam but he threw me the keys and said "change the oil and fix the air conditioning." I learned how to fix HVAC R-12 systems on a 2V 308! He must have been happy because I started seeing a steady trickle of cars arrive at the Fiat dealership I worked at.

Twenty-five years on, I've "worked my way up" to owning a really nice (although not terribly valuable) Ferrari, owning two less stellar examples in the intervening years. Dave is right when he says: "Yes you can own a Ferrari on a techs income."

Most F-car techs I know don't live, eat, breathe F-cars, but admire them, enjoy them and view them as a desirable way to earn a living. They are all, for the most part, meticulous, honest, trustworthy and not afraid to ask questions in their quest to do their job better.

Good luck.

-Peter

19. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    This is OT, but it sounds like a very similiar dillemma with the computer industry. There is a wide array of computer certifications one can get, and alot of them are not that hard to achieve. But when it comes down to it, the real world is vastly different than reading a book and taking a test. As Brian said, you're basically a trained monkey.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yup, what he said.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you really want to be a Ferrari mechanic you need to know this, and it is true in all the big markets. I really cannot address the smaller ones.

1. To start with just to be a little better than average at fixing these cars you will need to be one of the best mechanics there is. Very average will not only survive but will thrive in almost any other auto repair environment but cannot in any way on Ferrari.

2. You better live in a really big market area, be willing to relocate or have the perfect employer within commute distance. Being a good Ferrari mechanic is a double edged sword. We are a rare skill set but the people that need to employ us are even more rare. That means you will either relocate, work for someone you don't like working for or become self employed. In my case even though the Bay Area of Northern California and is a huge concentration of these cars I am self employed partially because I do not want to relocate. Most of the other of what I consider really good mechanics from the area have relocated.

3. Get used to the fact that the guy down at the Toyota or VW dealer that does not know half what you do and is not held to any sort of standard to speak of makes more than you. Get used to the fact that these cars are just not that profitable to work on despite the fact that half of the owners (as can be seen here) assume that we are overcharging and rolling in money because of the name and value of the cars. There is not a day in my professional life that either as an employee or a business owner that I could have turned my back on Ferrari and made more money working on almost any other car.

If you have that degree of desire to work on these cars go for it but take a good look around at the guys that are joining you. In less than 10, probably closer to 5 years 8 out of 10 of them will wise up and be gone.

22. chdnny

chdnny Rookie

Dec 18, 2006
    I think being a technician would be a great occupation for me, cars are so interesting to begin with. I think I'll never stop learning, from the bodywork to building engines, there is so much to learn. There is a program in my school available to me called Applied Service Management, the way they put it to me was this class shows you how to manage a business and at the end you receive an associates degree in business.

I see a Ferrari and then I see a Pontiac, I'll gravitate towards the Ferrari. So that pretty much decided for me that I'm going to become a Ferrari tech. University to a vocational school, price wise there is a big difference and the other option is just too much...

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Damn I hate when that happens!

The grey hair is a tip off and can be directly linked to co-mechanic / daughter Niki.

Dave workes just fine for me.

Dave

24. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I dunno about all these Ferrari Techs crying 'poverty'...that's TOTAL B.S. The wealthiest mechanics I know, or have ever met, were Exotics/Ferrari Mechanics. These guys had Lambos and 360 Challenge cars in their OWN garages to play with and track on the weekends. On the weekdays, they're swamped with business, barely able to keep up with the workload. Being the 'only game in town' sure helps.

25. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    That's the same thing that I thought a year ago, when I dropped out of college to pursue just that. Not that you can't do it, but that I would be careful with a vocational school. I've got one buddy who made something out of it, and he's not even sure it was worth the money.

I would suggest that you spend some time with normal cars, because if you don't like working on normal cars you may not like working on Ferraris. Mechanic work is mechanic work. I do think that maybe if I had started out as strictly an apprentice for a high end shop somewhere my story might be different, but that's not what happened for me and I had to deal with the "bad" side of the industry, as my buddy says, which is part of the reason I'm going back to school. If you are going to work, make sure you find a shop that will promote this goal before you work three jobs in one year, like me, all of which got me nowhere in pursuit of my goal. It will require a lot of patience, too.

I would suggest doing what you are thinking about going to school for before you invest however many thousands of dollars in it, because, like me, it may not be what you really need to do. In 6 years I may wind back up at a shop, but since I'm not sure right now, a degree, which has options for a career, is my best bet. Listen to what othes, especially Rifledriver, are saying. I pmed him a while back with the same questions that you have and he had some really good advice.