does anyone have clean windows!? | FerrariChat

does anyone have clean windows!?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by potxoli, Oct 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    No matter how hard I try, I can never get my windows to be really clean, especially on the inside. There is always some degree of streaking on the outside and what I would descrribe a film of grime on the inside. Not to mention that the windshield itself is somewhat pitted. So far I've tried windex, griot's window cleaner, window cleaner spray from autozone and have tried both cloth and paper to wipe off.

Is there a trick?

Thanks!

2. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Inquiring minds want to know. I too have that problem.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was told to use a NONE amonia glass cleaner, works good for me

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Stoner's Invisible Glass + Newspaper.

5. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 on invisible glass.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Newspaper is an old wives tale.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    How dirty were your windows? I've never had to use anything other than Windex. Just go over them a few times.

8. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    how timely this thread. i was cleaning my windscreen after a morning run and noticed just what
    dirty glass is (bright sun,etc.).
    mixed up a batch of vinegar water (white,not apple cider) and cleaned with the cheapest roll
    of paper towels i could find at the dollar store.
    results were otay!!
    what have we learned from this lesson? buy cheap towels and get cozy with white distilled
    vinegar. your glass will look like a $1m bucks and you'll be able to see better even w/o polarized
    sunglasses.
    good paper towels have lanolin which is oily. windex has alcohol which will streak, believe it or not.
    windex is good for cuts, warts, displacing ant pheremones, and certain fungus. windows,nada.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Windex is fine. As long as you wipe the window with a clean dry cloth/ towel the window will be clean without streaks.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    When cleaning the inside of the windows on my cars, I always wipe them down with a dry paper towel before using Invisible Glass. This helps remove some of the film buildup instead of just smearing it all over the window. This shouldn't scratch the glass so long as there isn't any other dust/dirt/debris on them (which is why I wouldn't recommend it on the outside of the window!).

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I just spray a newspaper with some water and wipe the glass.........works fine.

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    The film on the inside is due to the outgassing of the plastic's and vinyl on the inside of the car. The large window area contributes to this greenhouse effect. I use Stoners and newspaper and usually need to do it a few times to get it clean. The outside is pretty easy and you can use almost anything to clean it with.

13. roccoriley

roccoriley Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    So Cal
    You will be surprised to find that if you mix water and ammonia, then spray it on and wipe off with newspaper, you will have better results than with all the other preparations.

14. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    wow. Thanks everyone, lots of things to try :)

15. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    the dirtiness is not too bad, its just that the products I've been trying dry and leave residue. on the outside.

16. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I use soap and water. I put it on with a sponge, then wipe it down with a paper towel.

Bob Wassam

17. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Invisible glass is pretty good, but ammonia pure or diluited with some water works really well.

18. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Another thing that works pretty well is a damp micro fiber cloth. My GF uses this alone to clean the windows in the house, she uses no glass cleaner at all.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

where do you get this invisible glass product?

if my windows are dirty, it does not matter how clean the balance of the car is or how well it is running...i cannot stand the glass being dirty.

20. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Stoner's Invisible Glass , is available at SAM'S Club !!!!!!!!!!!
    It is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Invisible glass is available at Wal-Mart too. Was looking at it tonight actually.

Newspaper is the best. Only thing I could ever use to get windows really clean. I think any glass cleaner should suffice as long as you use newspaper. Something about the ink. If you use paper towels, make sure they are WHITE. It's probably why the cheap ones worked so well, they didn't have prints on them.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where do you get a GF who cleans windows?

23. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    when i worked for pittsburg plate glass we cleaned the glass for dual pane windows with a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol and liquid dish soap. then wipe with regular brown paper towels. never a streak. what i'd like to know is how do others clean the area between the windshield and the instrument binnacle.

24. staylor

staylor Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2006
    Sydney/London
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Have to say this is my number one pet hate... I hate having dirty windows.. annoys me so much %£$%£$!!

But yeah, newspapers and windex is probably the best solution I have found so far...

25. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    I use microfiber cloth on everything but always dry. They first appeared about 20 years ago to remove fingerprints from camera lenses without affecting the coating, microfiber cloths with their 10,000 threads per inch have lots of surface area and although they are essentially plastic, the material takes in and holds oil. I rarely need to launder them but dry use is key to best results. Windex windows first with cheap paper towels to remove dirt on the outside then the cloth inside and out, using a stick over the gauges to prompt the cloth where no hand will go.

My first one cost $10 for a 6"x6" at the pro camera store but last purchase of 2 dozen 16"x16" was $20 on eBay. Took several to a seamstress to quarter for an easier to use size. If your into guitar, they are great to remove the nasty hand oils from the high gloss guitar surface keeping them sweet looking on stage.