Ferrari as an investment - which one? | FerrariChat

Ferrari as an investment - which one?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BritGuy, Feb 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BritGuy

BritGuy Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    Hello - Yes Im a new member. Question to the forum if I may.

I have available around GBP50,000 and looking to buy any model Ferrari with a view to professionally storing this as a future classic. Looking to buy and keep this in United Kingdom so would need to be right hand drive.

Appreciate your views on which model and why. Also guidance on companies able to offer dehumidified professional storage.

Have considered late 328 GTS, 348 or possibly 355 GTS 6 speed manual but open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your guidance.

Andy

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome Andy. :):)

None of those Ferraris would make good investments unfortunately mate. :):)

I would buy, drive and enjoy the Ferrari you most desire and forget about storing it to try and make money. :D:D

Out of those you mentioned, the rarest would be the 355 GTS. But still not rare enough to be worth A LOT of money one day. ;);)

Take care and enjoy my friend. :):)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I have to echo Pap's comments...

If you want to invest, buy gold or stocks... if you want to have a great time, and make an investment in your happiness and state of mind... buy a Ferrari.

Mike

4. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Strictly from an investment standpoint, I would look at a Mondial 8. It should be hard to completely blow 50k lbs.

Invest about 15k, feed that investment w/maintenance and storage for twenty years and you might only lose 20-30k lbs.

Seriously though, these cars cost $, they don't make $.

Maybe a glass 308 w/ a dry sump??

5. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Investment no,but a Ferrari in your price range that has been fully depreciated and stable in price would be a 308 glass or 328GTB,or for that matter any 308/328 in very nice condition.

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    You can call it an investment in your life and well being. Not a business one. These cars will make you feel alive and you will enjoy every second of it. But its hard to do that if its locked up in some garage or crate. Buy and Drive. Even the newer, limited production cars don't hold value that well, never mind appreciate.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Start a partnership and sell fractional shares of a 250GT SWB or similar.

didn't someone do similar recently?

8. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Welcome aboard Andy! Buy and drive! If you want to make an ivestment there are other places to put your money... :)

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari 550 Maranello.

Will go the way the Daytona went in 10/15 years.

10. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 with everyone. Unfortunately none of these vehicles will be collectors items. You need to look a bit deeper such as supply and demand. What models will be in low supply and in high demand 20 years from now? I'm not sure many of the modern Ferraris fit this with the exception of limited production cars like the 599 GTO and subsequent supercars. If you have no interest in driving and enjoying the car just buying and storing away, put your money into the market. If you want to drive the car, enjoy it, and spenking the 50k doesn't hurt you financially, then buy a Ferrari and enjoy the ride.

Mike

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Buy a Fiat Dino Spider, not quite a Ferrari, but within that realm money wise, and will not depreciate. Another bonus, it is a quite beautiful car, and makes the right noises and no electronics to worry about.

Regards, Alberto

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You have only about 10% of what its going to require to get a Ferrari that has potential go up in value.

None (N.O.N.E.) of the mass produced cars will go up in value--they made toooooo many of them. This includes all of the 8 cylinders except 288 GTO and F40. It also includes the modern (post 1990) V12s except for the "specials" like Enzo, FXX,...

13. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    To quote Big Tex on the subject, the mass produced cars are used cars with a yellow horn button.

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Split your $50K G into cotton, sugar, orange juice, wheat, silver, & copper and you'll do very nicely

Forget the Ferrari if you want to make $

15. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I think any of the afore mentioned cars will one day appreciate in value as most have bottomed out, but it will be many years (20+) before you really start to see them appreciate significantly.

16. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I think the 365 GTB/4 Daytona coupes will go from their current $300k (usd) level to perhaps $600k over the next 10 years. There is just too much of a price difference with the 275 GTB cars for the Daytonas to continue to lag behind at this level.

A 328 GTS is a good buy but my hunch is they will go from $55k for a nice one to maybe $85k over the next 10 years. Not a lot of money to be made but you'll own a great/fun car during those years.

A 550 Maranello will likely be similar to the 328 model. Maybe going from $75k to $110k over the next 10 years.

These are all good buys compared to the new cars. My 458 is likely to go from $280k to $120k over the next 10 years. But I didn't buy it for its investment potential. :)

17. pdf308

pdf308 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think that the euro dry sump glass 308's will go up at a nice rate. Last of the Carb Ferrari's, Rare (lowish production 700+- and many have been trashed or parted), great looks and sound. If you can find one, buy it, drive it, and enjoy it and in the end you will be better than break-even.

To quote one of the Fchatters Buying a Ferrari and not driving it is like not having sex with a super hot girlfriend, so you can save her for someone else to enjoy.

18. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    While I tend to agree that you don't buy almost any Ferrari as an investment, I don't believe some won't go up in value. So I'll play a little devil's advocate here.

Based on conversations I heard over the years, and most who have been around have heard them, almost all Fcars went through a phase where "experts" thought they would never appreciate. Even 250GTO's at one time were relatively dirt cheap, but how about Daytona's, Dino's, and 330's to name a few "mass produced" cars compared to the models that preceeded them that so many thought would never appreciate in value.

But since you would have to both be lucky and keep it for a long time, to have a model that may in the future be broadly popular and rise significantly in value decades later (see Dino) but relatively inexpensive now you would be well advised to buy a car you truly love that you enjoy no matter what. Just in case the market does not go your way...

Since the advice that I agree with is to not buy a Ferrari for investmet, here is a quick example. If I purchased a Dino 246 in 1974 for $20k, and I had a car in very high demand that I sold this year for $190k, my IRR is only 6.2% annually. There are many more model examples that have flat or depreciating returns. Sounds like a bond return taking commodity risk.

My advice is put investment capital elsewhere and leave the discretionary funds for adding to your dream garage. Hey, you might even get lucky while having fun if your chosen model shoots the moon.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you are bound and determined to do this, here's what I'd recommend:

308 GTB Fiberglass; S/N 19567; red with tan leather; estimate $60,000 to $80,000. Not evaluated. Hammered sold at $57,500 plus commission of 10 percent = final price of $63,250. Multiple Gold and Platinum awards, described as "less than 26,000 miles." Ferrari Classiche certified. No reserve. Lot #308 RM Auctions.

Granted, I'm not saying this will be a good investment, but I doubt this car will go down in value.

Dale

20. lazerblu

lazerblu Karting

Feb 15, 2011
    God's Own County, UK
    My 2pence for what it's worth...

Ferrari's and other great sports cars should be driven and enjoyed for what they are, not how much they may be worth 20 years down the road!

But, if I had to choose one I'd agree with Toggie and go with the 328 GTS, excluding the 458, the last truly beautiful model.

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm going to invest in a nice carbon fiber bicycle cus gas prices in US are about to explode

22. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    if you can find one a 348GTC (only 8-10 RHD versions) will continue to go up in value. with only 50 made its the rarest production Ferrari (not counting one off specials for the Sultan and his ilk) since the 365 GTS in 1969!

I think the 308 glass cars will also continuee to appreciate, again due to their rarity

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    O'Quinns Estate just sold his like new 348GTC, $72K.......it WAS nice!

24. scubamike

scubamike Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    In the south
    Ferrari. as an Investment (assuming you're meaning something that will finically appreciate or at least not depreciate)....

You're not serious, right?

I guess there are some ultra-rare examples out there, but.......

25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    some sure bets....a short list within or close to your budget, in my humble opinion of course :)

Alfa 'boattail' or referred to as 'duetto' spiders - you all know which one I mean
    Alfa Guilia/Guiletta spider
    Alfa Sprint Speciale
    Detomaso Pantera - preserved original....or find the $100K invested, modded ones that go for $50K when finished :D
    Detomaso Mangusta - over your budget, but not by light years...rarity and Guigiaro masterpiece design make it a can't miss
    Lancia Fulvia coupe's - hell, you could by 4-5 of these
    Lancia Scorpion - same, you could buy a fleet of em
    Porsche 930 - slantnose or cabriolet for rarity, but ALL are going to appreciate...

again, these are just a quick list...I didn't give it that much thought..
    all of these cars are 'cool' and seem destined for appreciation right now