Can coolant fumes harm you? | FerrariChat

Can coolant fumes harm you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lightning, Apr 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    #1 lightning, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    I ask this question as I've had a coolant smell in my Ferrari from time to time, sometimes quite strong (I think I finally fixed it though)
    I used to own an old vintage car and that used to get very hot in traffic (there was no water pump, it was just thermo-syphon) and you'd often get a coolant smell as it ejected from the overflow.

I looked on the internet and it seems pretty bad, all sorts of nasty symptoms, but it just seems to refer to actually sniffing antifreeze as being dangerous, where you inhale effectively a mist of the product, to be honest I did not know people used it this way....like glue sniffing. And of course accidentaly drinking it, which tends to be pretty fatal.
    However I can't work out whether just the aroma of it is bad....not that you'd breathe it by choice of course.

Having diluted antifreeze aroma from your cooling system, can that do you harm? does anybody know?

2. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is poisonous in small amounts when swallowed. Dogs & cats drink a few licks from a puddle because it tastes “sweet” & are dead in a few hours. I can’t imagine fumes would be good for any mammals. My Miata has a leak somewhere that I need to track down. I keep the windows open. Not sure if ok to breath either.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ever used a can of spray paint without a resperator, or cleaned your hands off with paint thinner? How about breathing gas fumes when filling up? I'm pretty sure all these activities are about equal to smelling a little bit of coolant. My dog once drank himself full from a puddle of diluted coolant. He died a few years later.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Our shop lost a dog from drinking anti-freeze. It happened in a few hours. The vet confirmed it.

I think fumes are pretty minor. But, drinking it will destroy your liver.

Years ago no one worried about changing brakes with asbestos. Now, it's completely forbidden. No one worried about dumping old anti-freeze in the sewer. Now, anti-freeze has to be treated like toxic waste by law.

Over time, our perception of what is acceptable risk of toxic substances has changed.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's not good for you.

Get it fixed.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. If it's a continuous smell in the cabin, it's not good. If it's just a whif you get occasionally from inspecting an old car, it's probably not anything to worrry about.

7. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Not good for the Kidney's/Nervous System.Make sure you fixed the Problem.

8. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    Is there a safe alternative? I read somewhere that you can get a "pet safe" antifreeze, and while it's still not good for you, it's nowhere near as bad as ethylene glycol.
    However none of my local motor parts suppliers in the UK have heard of it.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think there is.

But the easiest way is just to not dump antifreeze on the ground or leave it in a bucket where they can get at it. Dump it into a bucket and then transfer it with a funnel to a sealed container. Then, take it to a recycling facility.

It's only toxic if they drink it. It's also bad for the environment if you just wash it away into the sewer.

Treat it like you would any other household cleaner and you won't have a problem.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

11. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    "Pet safe" is still ethylene glycol and every bit as toxic as the regular stuff. It's been spiked with something really evil-tasting bitter so animals won't drink it.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Hmm. My first thought was that "coolant fumes" = steam.

Yep, steam burns are painful. ;)

14. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    The green stuff tastes really good, like a much sweeter flat Mountain Dew.

I don't think the fumes are as bad as some think, most of what is boiling off is water, but I don't know.

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I hope that wasnt the old guy in your little avatar? :(:(

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Nope, that Gable in my avatar, retired CCI dog. He could do anything including fetching a beer out of the fridge.
    Jake was the Irish Setter with multiple lives, and a taste for coolant!!!!!

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, awesome. Can you post a larger version of that pic of Gable for me please? :D:D

Sorry to hear of Jake! Naughty boy! :D:D

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #18 finnerty, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    Yes.

In large enough amounts, ethylene glycol can cause kidney failure. In still larger amounts, it can cause death.

And, yes, coolant / water mixture vapor (i.e., steam) contains significant amounts of aerosol ethylene glycol.

19. .:bigred12

.:bigred12 Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Clarence/Ithaca, NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    got a face-full of coolant once when the heater core in my GTI broke. That wasn't fun. Barely limped home and bypassed the heater core with a piece of 3/4 copper pipe for the rest of summer.

20. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Of course, you could always run a propylene glycol antifreeze which is pretty much non-toxic and biodegradable...

Peak and Amsoil both sell the stuff.

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I'm really curious with all these posts. Why not just fix the coolant leak?

22. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    He said he thinks he did fix it in the OP. I guess he'll know it worked if the smell goes away.