F40 or Carrera GT | FerrariChat

F40 or Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ARTNNYC, Mar 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Ok obviously I know this forum is slightly slanted towards the southern part of Europe where the red cars originate but thought I would put this put this out there for feedback.
    I am thinking of purchasing a hypercar and two are on my radar. One being the iconic and incomparable F40 and the other being the magnificent Porsche Carrera GT. I know their differences and similarities and have driven both. How about some input?

2. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I hope you'll get some helpful opinions and feedback. But I think, since you have driven both, you should elaborate more yourself for those of us that haven't been lucky enough to drive both.

3. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Very interesting the time you posted your original post.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Just noticed that! Strange huh? Funny I actually am not into the Porsche 959 even though it was the F40's competition at the time

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The CGT and F40 are 2 of my favorite cars ever. I don't think there is any doubt that I would take the F40. It is much more iconic, and will be the better investment.

But the sound of the CGT...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ4KMOYvD3k[/ame]

6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    CGTs do sound nice, yet I've never heard an engine note quite so breathtaking as the one in the F40LM YouTube video being driven by Jacques Lafitte. Just unreal from about 0:52-1:12...

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'd buy a Jaguar XJR 15 for something completely different from everyone one else (to show) and a 996GT2 and beat the snot out of it (for me). The GT2 cost would equal a clutch change on either of the choices.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On the video, I like the stock sound the most. Talk about not improving on the factory sound. But,F40 for me.

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Buy both. Problem solved :eek:

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    F40 :) was this a vote? ....F40! :)

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Cannot go wrong with either, two great cars. Which did you enjoy driving more?

12. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    I don't think anyone on this forum can really help you as it's a matter of personal preference.

Both will appreciate over time. Both were the pinnacle of engineering for their respective times. Both have considerable maintenance costs.

Can't go wrong with either if you can't have both. It's just a matter of which one moves you more.

Happy shopping.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    huge fan of both cars (and Marques), but if I had to choose it would be the F40 by a big margin.

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    + 1 :)

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +2

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A CGT was the greatest porche at the time, it will be eclipsed by something newer. The F40 is a true raw beast, others may go faster but nothing today has its light weight and rawness, it will not be repeatd or elipsed, cars have gone in a more civilised direction.

At the time of the F40 we had the 959. Today the 959 is but a footnote, it has been eclipsed by more modern porches which do all it did better. The F40 stands alone at a crossroads and has attributes that will not abd cannot be repeated or therefore bettered in a production car.

17. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Spot on post except that the CGT will never be eclipsed by another Porsche in terms of its rawness. It's the last in the line of NA 3 pedal street legal Le Mans racers.

Leaving the subjective factors aside, the F40 has got to be the better place to park your money. I would think that is an important issue for you at those prices.

Having never driver either of them, I'd still have the F40 in a heartbeat.

18. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Tough call since I'm definitely a Ferrari enthusiast, but the Carrera GT is a convertible! (and probably cheaper)

19. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    They both were extremely entertaining to drive but TOTALLY different. The F40 was very raw and hard to drive smoothly quickly due to the boost and the gated shifter. The CGT was deceptively fast but seemed much larger and less tossable than the F40. Keep in mind I would be tracking either car and I think the maintenance costs are pretty large for both but expect the Porsche to be more reliable

20. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Other than tracking, what other driving are you planning? I would assume the CGT would be better for driving longer distances.

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    depends on how much patience you have and what kind of driving you intend to do.

the f40 will need fettling and extra care and likely expensive maintenance every so often, and its not the most relaxing car to drive....

the cgt will work with german efficiency and dependability, the maintenance will be high but not eye watering, and it will not try to kill you if you are not paying attention.

all that said...i already cast my vote.

22. MD326

MD326 Karting

May 6, 2007
    MD & FL
    Full Name:
    WJP
    In line with your comment about costs, aren't these two cars in different price brackets? I could be wrong but I thought that F40s were going for a hundred (or two) thousand more than a CGT (assumming both are well sorted). I guess there are high mile F40s well sorted for CGT money? I need an expert in here so I don't spread false info!

23. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Long distance driving would not be part of the plan as I would trailer the car in that case

24. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Yes the F40 is currently about 200k more than the CGT but cost is not a determining factor

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If youre tracking get a CGT, it will be better at the track, more reliable, plus when you shunt the woirld wont be less one F40. Point is if youre seriously going to be tracking neither of these cars is really the right thing. A F40 may work for the occasion club trackday but at this point that is not what its about.

I would ask how much track experience do you have?