Ferrari Design Overtones: Going, Going, Gone Asian? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Design Overtones: Going, Going, Gone Asian?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VisualHomage, Mar 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Part 1

http://chadglass.blogspot.com/2012/03/ferrari-design-overtones-going-going.html

excerpt:

With the demise of the traditional family-owned Italian cultural design mainstay Pininfarina, will Ferrari increasingly slide into the hands of Asian design aesthetics, blowing in the wind of market forces and banking dictates? Has the Ferrari/Fiat/Italian identity already been usurped by an increasing economic force guided by the likes of Japan and China?

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

What is it exactly about current Ferrari design that looks Asian? The fact that a Japanese named designer worked for Pininfarina on the Enzo and F currently sell a lot more cars in China, I don't think necessarily means designs have gone Asian. If anything they're more global, if that means anything?

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Japanese & Koreans already build millions of cars every year

If they are buying Ferraris now ist bcus they DONT want an Asian car, they want an Italian car

If F does embrace Asian style it may be hurting its sales in Asia

Would you buy a Ferrari F150 pick up ?

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Trying to express in design what Ferrari, "means" will always be in flux. For most admirers of the brand, this will probably mean that Ferrari's designs will go in and out of synch with what Ferrari means to them - what they, "like."

I noticed this phenomenon years before I learned about esthetics in art and design in graduate school: For example, back in the 70's and 80's I loved the Dino 206/246, the 512BB, and the Daytona, but I didn't like the later 348 and 355 at all, and I absolutely detested the Testarosa. Lets not even talk about the 412, OK?

Later, though, Ferrari design again meshed with my ideas about what a Ferrari should look like with the 456 GT and the 360 Modena, which are, TO ME, the most beautiful front engine and mid engine Ferraris of all time, respectively.

Now, however, they are again on the outs with me; I think the 612 Scaglietti is OK looking, but only OK, and the 599 does absolutely, positively nothing for me. The FF is, if anything, worse, but the newest front engine V-12 two seater is more like it... again.

If I live long enough, I fully expect that Ferrari design will enter what would be, to me, another Golden Age. Just because of innate human subjectivity, this will be true for most people, though they certainly wouldn't have to agree with my taste to have analogous experiences. In fact, they could be 180 degrees out of synch with me. This is one of the things that makes the world go 'round.

I wouldn't worry about Japanese - or any other culture - overly influencing Ferrari design (In fact, I welcome such influences), as alternate perspectives on what Ferrari should mean could lead to some beautiful cars... or not. lol.

Cheers,

George

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Started with the 599 face.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The headlight cluster in the 458 looks Asian.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Ferrari design was always typically about being simple, correct, and beautiful. Cars like Dinos, 275 GTBs, 330 GTCs, 250 California Spyders, etc. etc. etc. are very simple in their lines and detailing. Yet, they look perfect because they look right...organic. as if shaped by nature, the wind. These cars never gotr old because right is always right. They are still beautiful today - even 60 years later. That is part of the reason they are worth so much. Think about it - while a 1954 - 1962 Corvette is a very pretty car in my opinion, ift is nothing when compared to a California Spyder in terms of beauty. Now compare a 65 Mustang to a 65 275 GTB - same sort of car - which has the timeless shape.

Asian design has always been aboutr being complex and weird (like the women though). Many Asian cars remind me of insects - not good. I once read a synopsis of the thought behind Asian design and it was something like this: The Asian cities are so crowded that one can only catch a glimpse of a small portion of a car. That small portion must define which car it is. So, they torture the surface and the detailing to definitively define the car from jusr a glance. The shining example would be the Nissan 370Z...where did that headlight shape come from? The taillight shape? The gills in the grill? Hideous in my opinion.

I beleive that there have been a few Ferrari 'misses' over the years, but that in general the cars looked great. This changed with the 430s. Suddenly the detailing got busy...the headlights got a strange non-organic shape...they became very detailed under the glass. the rear end was all chopped up, why have the tailights jut out like that. The protruding nose on the new Califrnia - why? That strange side surface on the new F12 - why?

I think Ferrari is going the way of everyone else...scream out who you are and be ostententatious about it. Lamborghini has always been there - think Countach - what an in your face styling exercise that has not aged well in my opinion.

The thing about good design is that it really doesn't cost much if anything.

I think this new design trend will hurt Ferrari in the long run. They will lose what makes then unique. Following the current fad may pay off in the short term - but it is a losing proposition in the long term. Ferrari has been the most coveted car in the world for 60 years...will it still be that way 20 years form noww?

BEWARE the new McLaren. If you haven't seen it yet (photos don't do it justice) - be prepared to be impressed. It's design is about perfect.

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Millions of people still love the Countach, if you want an example of a botched design pick something else, like a 70s Japanese POS

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The most beautiful car Lamborghini ever did was the Muira.

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Not sure if I'd say the 458 headlights look Asian, but the whole LED strip look is ridiculous to me. I very seriously doubt that look will age well.

Cheers,

George

12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The last one looked like a Pontiac Firebird from the rear but I was afraid for Ferrari that the Japanese would come out with a car the size and shape of a Ferrari at about one half to one third the price. But I don't think Honda will have anywhere near the horsepower. One mistake Ferrari, Mercedes, Audi, etc. are all making is to go overboard on some new styling gimmick like tiny LED lights defning the headlight pod. OK it looked good when the first expensive car had it but what they didn't realize is that there is a"trickle down" effect in which aftermarket firms figure out how to replicate it and I predict soon every auto accessory shop will sell LED lights in strips so you can put them in your car headlamps and have it look expensive. One of the Pininfarina sons was once standing next to me when a Testarossa went by and he sighed and said they made a mistake in approving the side strakes because that feature dated quickly. So what I expect out of a Ferrari shape is one that endures the test of time--that looks good 10, 20, 30 years from now. Even the Daytona I think looks modern, except for the too small --by today's standards--taillights. It also worries me (for Ferrari's future) that every year the Corvette looks more Ferrari-ish and the Ferrari front engined V12 two seaters look more Corvette-ish. I think the head of GM styling got a kick out of that when I made that observation. At any rate, I expect Ferraris to be bold in basic shape and not depend on surface gimmicks (vents, spoilers, scoops, wings) for their main appeal.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I may be wrong but I thought I heard Ferrari is doing more inhouse design instead of PF. That would mean we, after about 70 or more years are just starting to see what Ferrari will build. We've had PF, Bertone and others but now it's Ferrari?

But maybe a great engine and suspension builder shouldn't do body design?

14. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    More Audi R8 to me.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Cali is an awful sell out, looks more Toyota than Italian

FF is just wierd

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    To my knowledge, I believe Okuyama designed the F149, too.

17. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Now - I am not saying the Countach is an ugly car...but it sure ain't pretty, especially the later ones with all of the tacked on flares, ground effects, wings, scoops, etc. Would you say it is better looking than a Boxer? That is the direct era comparison. I would take a Boxer any day.

All of the tacked on stuff is what I don't like. The shape should be smooth and organic, not contrived.

While the Coutach is still the #1 EXOTIC car, it isn't a pretty car, and I don't think it has aged well. It is like a woman with enormous fake boobs in a tight top. Initially appealing to young boys and old men.

And that is coming from someone who owned one. Came in a trade...what can I say.

I liked the original NSX. The new one is completely contrived and holds no interest for me. Just another overdetailed Asian car that wants to be cool, but falls flat.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    599 definitely looks like it could have been a Mitsubishi. The proportions are aggressive but awkward.

Good post, although the 360 to me represented the veering away from crisp, compact Italian design where the car was wrapped around the driver and drivetrain.

I think most cars are "trying too hard" to look fierce and aggressive, to the point that it doesn't work anymore. They're almost "anime" in appearance (Enzo, California) instead of naturally flowing, like an E-Type, 246 or 250 GTO.

We're also in a digital era, so maybe organic shapes are out of favor.

It's also a bit shocking to see Ferrari emulate the Honda tuner market with unpainted carbon fibre panels. Even if they save weight, you wouldn't expect the Italians to tolerate disharmony for the sake a few pounds.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The original Countach 'Periscopo' is a beautiful car and an icon, better looking than a Boxer (not a better car, but better looking).

As originally conceived, it was not a normal car with busy details tacked on (e.g., 599, California, F12, F430, 458). The whole shape was outrageous -- windscreen/front bonnet angle, height of the car, unique wheel arch cutouts -- I think it was a landmark that later got ruined in its later multi-winged/flared versions.

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    They don't save weight, as the finish required to make them UV, driving and contact resistant costs a fortune in materials and labor (when Chevy first released the ZR1 they were talking $50K/gallon for the exterior UV blocker. Even if it's concentrated, that's expensive stuff.)

21. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    #21 Sunracer, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was actually around for the LP400 versus 512BB debates - sure, I was a tween, but still, I subscribed to Car and Driver and Road and Track - and the consensus was that the Lambo was the most shockingly aggressive looking car of all time (To that point), but the Ferrari was more beautiful and drivable. FWIW, I had a poster of the 512BB (And the famous SUNOCO Porche 917) in my bedroom back then, not the Countach.

I agree that the Countach was ruined by the body cladding in later iterations, but the LP400 had the misfortune to appear right, smack, dab in the middle of a revolution in tire technology. Since Lamborghini was always inches from bankruptcy, they didn't have the resources to re-design the car until the Diablo showed up YEARS later. And, the Diablo was a huge improvement over the final Countach versions.

Meanwhile, Ferrari replaced the sublime Berlinetta Boxer with the Testarosa, which I always hated. I don't see how you could consider the TR to be anything other than a step back in terms of styling.

Not until the 355 did Ferrari get its mojo back with mid engine designs, and the 360 is an immortal classic of design purity, IMO. It's a perfect combination of retro and modern to me.

Cheers,

George

23. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto

I owned a Periscopo Countach, so I appreciate the fact that you like them.

That said, a Countach was much more of a styling statement - something to be outrageeous - than just about any other car. Shocking - yes. Wild - yes. Aggressive - yes. Exotic - double YES. But beautiful and timeless - not really. Instead, the Countach defined its time and was defined by its time - a time of revolution in all things. It was a landmark of its time - a time now passed.

If you are looking at Lambos - consider the Miura and the Countach. When it came out, The Miura was almost as outrageous as the Countach. It went to the edge of the cliff and looked over, but didn/t jump in. The Coutach jumped over the edge without looking back. So, which one is considered the beautiful car today?

Meanwhile, Ferraris have typically had timeless design. Design that will always be appreciated.

If you compare cars to clothing , think of the Ferrari design as being the classic 'little black dress.' Think of the Countach as being that outrageous and revealing dress that some actress wears to the Academy Awards (Like the one J Lopez wore about 5 years ago). Can't remember it? That is the point. Classsic is timeless...outrageous lasts 10 minutes until something else more outrageous comes along.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For me - when the testarossa came out it was the most outrageous design and was exotic + modern all at once... very purposefull - I would agree that it has not matured into a beauty, but that is becuase it was not carried on into a newer design it was the last flat 12 mid engined car.

as for the V-8's you just cant beat the 308 for beauty.... 348 & 360- 430's are not pretty cars and just dont have that Presance. the 355 & 458 have the presance... all the front engined modern Ferrari's to me are just not pretty, Fast - yes, pretty to look at - not so much.

the 550 was close as it had the daytona look about it... but the 599 / and the new one, just dont really do much for me.