Ferrari 512BB Boxer or Lamborghini Diablo Roadster | FerrariChat

Ferrari 512BB Boxer or Lamborghini Diablo Roadster

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Feb 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm basically looking at both pre-2005 and post-2005 cars. The post 2005 cars are all the usual suspects, but the pre-2005 category always boils down to these 2 cars, similarly priced, both maintenance hungry, both should be done depreciating.

512 BB Boxer
    around 1,000 made
    350 hp
    Classic Ferrari exterior design

Lamborghini Diablo Roadster
    around 300 made
    529 hp ('98 & '99)
    Typical Lambo outragious design

Curious if anyone has owned both or driven both. I haven't driven either, as they aren't exactly on every street corner like the modern cars.

Would also like to hear opinions on future values.

Thanks

2. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I would have thought the lambo would be more expensive in the maintenance department, especially clutch area.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The roadster all the way. The clutch is a wash compared to the engine out belt service on the boxer. Thing is, depending how you take care of the clutch, you could go 75,000 miles on one. That's 2 engine out services on the boxer. They are also quite reliable machines. Manifolds on the roadster are an issue, but only if you constantly drive with the roof clipped on the back.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Boxer is a classic. Diablo not.

Depends what you're looking for.

5. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The boxer is a classic that would probably appreciate in time, but the Diablo must be a hoot to drive, especially a roadster

6. Completely different cars. One is more modern and frickin fast. One is more of a classic, and will probably be worth more down the road. Garage candy, I want the Ferrari. If you want to actually use it, then the Lamborghini is my choice. The 512bb will require a nice warm up period before you can use 2nd gear without grinding. It's more fragile all the way around. The Diablo is well built. Probably a more fair comparison would be with a 512tr, which was a much more fun car (for me) than a 512bb.

7. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Shouldn't the comparison be the BB vs the Countach rather than the Diablo?

8. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I own a Roadster, and I would love to own a 512 one day, just haven’t been able to come across the right car but driven a few FI and carbed examples. Even though Boxers are far more produced there are very few which can be registered here in California . Out of all the examples I considered buying they all had their issues which I didn’t want to deal with, interior on one was pretty deteriorated, another needed exterior work, came across somewhat of good example but the asking price was ridiculous. What I’m trying to say is it’s easier to find a near perfect Roadster then a Boxer.

Do you want to show these cars, drive them leisurely? You want to do rallies? This is something very important you need to take into consideration.
    Even tough my Roadster’s 16yrs old it’s got plenty in it to keep pace with modern exotics, still draws a huge crowd every time I’m at an event, and it’s a Roadster, I wouldn’t have it any other way here in So Cal.
    On the other hand I would love to have a 512BB for the pride of ownership, it’s the last hand built Ferrari destined to be a classic, as for performance they are what they are, somewhat outdated, you need to drive them at your own pace. From a collectors point of view Boxer is the ideal car. They are affordable, potential to follow the footsteps of the Daytona.

It comes down to what you intend to do with it, keep in mind that a Boxer with no needs will cost you more then a Roadster.

9. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    if the same Price, take a good, documented, original 512BB! Think the european Versions a a Little bit higher in Price.

10. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Diablo roadster....

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    In either case (pre or post 2005) I'm looking for a weekender, drive to local shows, cruise with the wife. Ten year ownership window.

For me anyway, the Diablo IS a classic. Old school feel (OK, my practical experience consists of one 10 minute ride, and backing it up 10 feet....LOL), Italian eccentricities.

Have a feeling, the AC would be better in the Diablo as well (wife, Texas weather, complaining, we've all been there).

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #12 Shark01, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    The Diablo requires a warm up as well. When you start it, the initial idle is 2200 rpm. After a few minutes it goes down to 900 or so.

I'm just not into the Testarossa series, which for me are shaped too much like Lamborghinis.....but the Lamborghini did it better.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You're right on a time period basis. I'm just not a Countach guy. And any Countach you would want would be far in excess of the $130k price point I'm thinking about for a classic.

14. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I'd go for the boxer everytime, and surely the better investment if that matters to you.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #15 PhilNotHill, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    Have not driven either.

to me a sports car is topless...Diablo Roadster. One of the best looking Lambos ever made.

On the other hand if I had a Ferrari collection the 512 BB would go nicely with my 288 GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo. :cool:

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I think this is a very astute observation. I too feel that the old adage "when the top goes down, the price goes up" has been proven time and time again. In fair weather environments, convertibles are just more fun.

In the whole of 12 cylinder Lambo history, there have only been about 1,200 roadsters made...ever.

But on the other hand, the Boxer is one of the high points of Ferrari in the past 35 years, and I think the market is now noticing that when the two preceding models (Daytona and Dino) have soared beyond the reach of most people.

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love the Diablo but i think the Diablo Roadster is a terrible design. Why not look for an early Diablo? The lines beautiful and it's aging very well.

18. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    The 512BB and 512BBi are slowly becoming the next classic Ferrari IMO. They're showing signs of appreciation and their values will most likely continue to rise.

19. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I agree with what everyone here has said. Also, these two are about what I would be considering. I love both.

It might (should) come down to what you want your experience to be like.

I am about to undertake a carbed Boxer race car project. If not for that, my desire for a Boxer would decide it. Even with a racer though, the street car is tempting.

I'd have to have my first taste of Lamborghini though. Ah yes. The dark side. And the Diablo Spyder is just the ticket. Open air V-12 wailing.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I've pretty much decided the Diablo Roadster ticks a few more boxes. Open air, decent AC, rarity, power all in its favor. The Boxer is better looking in a classical sense, and will outpace it in future value most likely, if only because Ferrari has a larger following.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

You will have fun with the Lamborghini. You can always join the boxer fraternity in the future. We are a big tent party...but keep in mind, we all hope the cost to join will escalate ;)

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ferrari without question.

PDG

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #23 Shark01, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As an update, just recently I ultimately decided to get a '99 Diablo roadster. Loved the Boxer, but only had the funds to pick one or the other. It came down to the difference in power (180 hp) and the versatility of the car that you can remove the top on. And as the only weekend car, I wanted a convertible.

Future value-wise, I'm sure the Boxer will win, but the '99 roadster (1 year of production for this body style, only 150 cars made world-wide) has potential as well.

Do want to own a Ferrari someday, maybe a 550 or 430 sometime down the road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Very nice, enjoy!

25. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Stunning car, congrats

On a side note, if you ever jump into a 430 after driving this beast it'll feel pretty boring.