Brand of Motor Oil | FerrariChat

Brand of Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Nospinzone, Oct 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The manual for my 612 specifies Quaker State motor oil, but all other oils and fluids are all Shell products. I tried several searches here and really couldn't find any posts about this. Now I'm not knocking Quaker State, I used it regularly many years ago when I changed my own oil. I'm just wondering why Ferrari departed from Shell just for this one oil.

Also, when I did my search here I read that Ferrari does not recommend Mobil 1. I also found this curious since it has always been considered as one of the better oils along with Royal Purple. Once Mobil came out with a synthetic, that was my oil of choice. I remember using it at least as early as 1979 or 1980 in my Nissan 280ZX.

I'm open to know a little bit more about either of these subjects.

2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    My Ferrari dealership recently replaced my oil with Pennzoil Ultra Euro. They said they now use it in all models, new and old.

3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Shell owns Quaker State and Pennzoil. I would not be at all surprised if the various petroleum products are pretty much the same between the three brands.

4. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yep, Quaker State is just the US branded version of Shell oils now. So depending on which Quaker State was spec'ed, there is probably the same oil in a Shell or Pennzoil branded bottle.

Can you share what exact Quaker State oil is spec'ed in the manual? Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 Euro is currently what Ferrari recommends and most Ferrari dealers stock these days.

5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The dealer used Quaker State Q horsepower at my last oil change. Shell owns QS. I went to an independent recently who owns a CS and he uses Redline. So do I now.

6. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I remember talking to the owner of a (non Ferrari) engine rebuilding company who had rebuilt many thousands of engines over the years. Although he had seen every type of oil related failure, he said he had NEVER seen engine damage which he could attribute to an oil BRAND.

I personally believe that if you use a fully synthetic oil of the proper weight made by a known manufacturer, and if you keep it at the proper level, and if you change the oil and filter regularly, then any oil related engine problems will be WAY WAY down on your list of things to worry about.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, it is Quaker State Horse Power SAE 5W-40. It doesn't read Euro, but when I looked for it online, Euro was the only type I saw available.

Oh, and I didn't know Shell owned QS and Pennzoil. Now that QS in my manual makes sense!

8. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I've used Wal-Mart's "Super Tech" in-house brand of dino oil for my other cars, with good results.

Now I am thinking for trying their 5W-40 synthetic when it is time to change the oil in my Ferrari.

Anyone have any experience with this oil in their car?

9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I wouldn't use it in anything running high revs like a ferrari. Good film strength at high heat with a strong cam wear additive package for these engines is a tall order already. Red Line, Motul, Helix, Mobil 1 40w are all adequate but if anyone is really driving their car hard regularly then I highly recommend running either Red Line 50w or Mobil 1 15w/50 synthetic which recently had its additive package boosted so it's actually decent stuff again and it's just $25 for a 5 quart jug at wal mart. Oil in these engines takes an absolute beating, change it.....use something good.

Ferrari have never been big on testing oils like Mercedes and Porsche do, to a ridiculous amount. Both these companies have their own oil certification for oils that pass their torture tests, I recommend using something that has both their certifications for anything modern-ish.

10. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Shell has been constantly changing the branding off all of their oils for some dumb reason. This makes it really hard to figure out whether something is really the same oil as it used to be the last time you bought a bottle of it. And they try to not let you know it could be the same as what is offered in another Shell brand bottle. I don't think they even offer the "Horsepower" brand of QS anymore. My guess is that at one time it was the same as Shell Helix 5w40.

11. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Royal Dutch Shell has SOPUS (Shell Oil Products, U.S.) as its American subsidiary. Whereas Shell motor oil in Europe represents a premium brand, in the USA Shell is a "value" oil with Quaker State one step up and with Pennzoil at the top of the line. It was a dumb marketing move for SOPUS to associate QS with Ferrari instead of with Pennzoil, something they eventually fixed. Anyway, as of now the European Shell Helix is the same as Pennzoil Ultra, and Quaker State no longer has a Helix equivalent.

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Read the labels . The better oils of any brands are the Euro versions which isn't usually sold at Walmart .

Euro versions have higher additives and will say approved for German car lines ie Benz Audi etc.

Mobil 0-40 is a euro blend.

13. MortgageRockstar

Feb 8, 2013
    Mansfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Geof
  14. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    How about the Shell Rotella T6 synthetic? I think it's labeled as a 'Diesel' oil but it's a heavy duty 5W40 synthetic...