Dealing with rude salesman | FerrariChat

Dealing with rude salesman

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ztunelover, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I was at a local autoshow, and naturally came across a rather rude individual that was one of the "product consultants" for the local ferrari and maserati dealer.

I just wanted to ask some questions about the ghibli s q4 because my dad recently expressed some interest. While I am currently looking at a few 308s I am nowhere near the financial ability to afford a new fezza. Nor was I dressed particularly fancy.

And this guy was extremely rude and had the attitude like I was wasting his time.

How would you guys suggest I would deal with individuals like this? Have you ever dealt with this sort of attitude yourself by any chance?

2. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    Whenever I ran into this situation, if it bothered me enough, I would have a chat with the manager to advise them of the situation. There are definitely varying levels of salespeople out there.

3. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are rude salespeople in every profession. Find another one who isn't a knob and give him/her your business.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What did he say?

5. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Gave me snooty look and told me "tell your dad to come and see one himself" then walked away.

With no consideration that my dad won't make the purchase if I don't first have a look and give him the go ahead on it. My dad knows about my slightly unhealthy obsession with cars, so when he has car questions he asks me before jumping on to anything car related especially a new car purchase. He himself doesn't care about cars, he just wants a nice sedan to drive around on a daily basis, and basically said here is how much I am willing to spend and it needs to fit some bags, and 4 people comfortably. And since he is close to retirement he wants a little more upscale vehicle. And he sent me off to scope out which vehicle would be the best fit for him.

The ghibli seemed quite nice and in his price range. Shame the guy was such a prick.

I really dislike that sort of attitude, and I generally blame that sort of attitude being the attribute as to why more and more people around my age are being less and less interested in cars in general.

6. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #6 YELO T, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    I went to my local BMW dealer to purchase a $70,000 X6. Easy sale since I did my research and had the colors and options all picked out.

Empty showroom, a half dozen salespeople sitting at their desks playing angry birds, solitaire etc. and not a single one bothers to get up and make contact with me. I have to ask the receptionist to assign a salesperson who I'll refer to as "Sleepy". After Sleepy extends a limp handshake from his chair (he either didn't bother to get up or his a** was glued to his chair) he grudgingly prices the car. Sleepy generously gave me a $500 discount off of the sticker price! Wow!

I guess Sleepy didn't get the memo that BMW was running a nationwide promotion for $2000 off plus dealer incentives, or maybe he didn't see the 10 foot banner draped over his desk advertising the same promo. Surely my new pal Sleepy wouldn't try to pocket that promo money...would he?

Well, I played along because I really wanted to test drive the car; however, Sleepy said he had another customer coming in within the hour and he didn't have time for a test drive. I needed make an appointment and come back another day. At this point, I asked to see the sales manager to see if I could speak to another salesperson who wasn't as "busy" as Sleepy.

The manager (Sleepy's twin brother, a** also glued to his chair) said he cannot assign another salesperson to me since Sleepy already "worked on my deal". Unbeknownst to me, I was now married to Sleepy. This whole experience was a real buzzkill since I was expecting to leave with a signed bill of sale, and I ended up with nothing, not even a brochure.

Determined, I went to another BMW dealer slightly further away, and to my surprise, got an energetic, courteous salesperson who gave me a great deal (over $6500 off sticker). He even offer me the keys to a brand new X6 overnight with no obligation to buy. After a short test drive, I signed the paperwork. Needless to say, I will never go to that other dealership again.

7. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Go straight to his boss. It works every time. These are just hired people.

8. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    You're a kid asking for 'your dad'... You are wasting his time.

9. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Also a fantastic way of making sure I don't ever go back whether I become successful or not. I can see why more people are jumping on the gtr bandwagon and ditching the italian dream cars left right and center. They are nice cars, doesn't make them end all of anything. You want to be an elitist about it? Fine I will go with the guys that don't treat me like dirt and offer me the high performance alternative instead.

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Put yourself in his shoes. His job is to sell cars.

It's ok that you're excited about nice cars... And you very well may be able to buy one some day... But in the situation you described, you were absolutely wasting his time.

Saying that him not treating you as a 'real customer' makes him rude.. just comes across as very entitled and immature on your part.

Don't take it so personally.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just call the guy rude right to his face. That's it. Some people need a bit of a "slap" to wake them back up to reality. You are the customer, wanting to give them money. If you feel you are being treated poorly for wanting to give away your hard earned money, speak-up and tell the yo-yo.

12. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    A true measure of a man is how he treats someone that is not giving him anything. Kindness and courteousness does not take hours to express.

I used to sell cars. I never found the time indulging youngsters or those curious wasted.

13. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Agreed.. nothing wrong with sharing a love of cars.

However, the original posted needs to be conscious of the fact that he was 'being rude' also.

Being excited about a cool car and ambushing a sales guy with the expectation of being treated like a normal customer are two different things.

Knowing your place comes with maturity.

14. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    #14 ztunelover, Mar 16, 2014
    How exactly does going to the middle of the booth so he did not have to talk to anyone else help him sell any of the cars there?

And it isn't what he did but the way he handled the situation that made him rude.

I know I can't afford the cars, if somebody was there that wanted a word with him about the cars there they were free to do so, nobody came to him, there was another fellow helping someone look at the 458 spider they had there as well, all I wanted was a business card for my dad to go see the car and just a general peek at the thing. All he needed to do was say, there is the ghibli go look please don't touch here is my card your dad can call and make an appointment. It's a 30 second difference. I highly doubt someone that was interested in the quatroporte or the ff there would immediately lose their **** in 30seconds of waiting and run away.

Again, I wasn't wanting to sit in one or any of that. That's for my dad to decide what's comfy and what isn't.

I am fully aware these are not cookie cutter cars like a civic that honda jumps from show to show that anyone can jump in, these are actual cars they are hoping to sell to an excited and lucky customer. And that a painstaking amount of detailing work went into them. I don't want to sit in it or touch it. Somebody spent a lot of time with a lot of detailing products to make it look that good.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Some car salespeople are very successful, and some bounce around from dealership to dealership and eventually leave for another line of work. My guess is your "product consultant" will be in ladies shoes next year ....... figuratively or literally! :D

16. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    If you don't want to talk to a LOT of people who can't or won't buy right now you shouldn't be in sales. And my dad used to give me similar errands. You never know...

To the OP, I'd say this. If you are acting for someone else, like your Dad, have the attitude that you are their agent. I'd pass the information on to your Dad. Especially the part the the sales guy was an asshat.

To both I'd submit for your consideration that I just bought a car from a salesman who knew for several years I wasn't ready to buy from him. The fact that he'd been polite and helpful over those years is why I went to him when I was ready to buy. There are a lot of people worth doing business with. Don't waste your time on those who aren't.

17. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Great advice. Thanks guys.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

Back in 1986 I visited FAF in Atlanta for the first time. I was 18 and had just graduated high school a month or so earlier.

While I was clearly not going to buy anything, I was approached by a sales person. Very firendly. So much so that not only did he take time from his "busy Sat" to welcome me there, but he took me for a ride in a black 85 308. (post # 73 is the pic of me that afternoon in the 308 http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/322953-vintage-pictures-i-took-308s-1981-1997-a-2.html) He knew I wasn't going to buy it. I decided that I was, somehow, going to buy a 308 from him one day. I called him 11 years later and bought mine through him. I bought my Alfa through him as well.

I never forgot how nice he was to me so I returned the favor... you never know.

19. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #19 nathandarby67, Mar 16, 2014
    When I was a sophomore in college I was in Atlanta for a Jimmy Buffett concert. We had some time to kill the day before the show, so we drove out to Ferrari of Atlanta to see if we could look at some cars. The salesman was extremely nice, and let us look all we wanted and even let us sit in some of the cars. The 355 was new at the time, and was far and away my ultimate dream car. I was so excited to get my picture taken sitting in one. He took time and answered all our questions, and even showed us around the service area. Before we left I told him I sure couldn't afford one now, but planned to come back in a few years and buy one. He kind of laughed, and said to let him know when I was ready.

Fast forward through a lot of hard work....

Last spring FoA had a pristine 355 for sale. Guess which salesman I asked for?

Ferrari of Atlanta 1997 and 2013, proof positive that it pays to be nice!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Absolutely, if you show me a modicum of respect I remember that. I'm not some sad angry bloke just happy to grumble about someone being mean. If you are nice to me when you didn't necessarily have to be, I will remember that even more. Take for instance the guy I codrove for a local rally, he provided everything. and I mean everything for my weekend including my codriving regional license. Incredible chap, I will never forget him for it, and all because I stepped up in the last moment when no one else did.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I had a very similar experience with faf....that was a great shop!

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, great stories Tommy and Nathan. Love them!

Kind of reminds of that scene in the movie Pretty Woman. After the saleswoman ignored her because she didn't look right, and she returned after spending thousands of dollars elsewhere......"Oh, you sell on commission? Big mistake, HUGE mistake!" :D

23. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Just curious, what did/does FAF stand for? I've always seen it referred to as that but can't figure it out!

24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    ...And at an auto show...please putp yourself in his shoes, I bet you he heard that statement many times in his life because he sells an exotic product.

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is a great story