Ferrari 360 vs 2014 Corvette | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 vs 2014 Corvette

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by up4speed, Mar 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 up4speed, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    I'm curious to hear impressions from people that have experience with BOTH.
    I'm not interested in opinions from people that only have experience with one of them (it's not that those opinions aren't valid, it's just that most if not all were probably heard already). I can always guess that the Vette is faster, better handling numbers etc. I can guess that the Ferrari sounds better, feels better etc. But those are only guesses. I'm looking for factual info regarding both. I'm also wondering if someone who has experience with a 360 can say that the Vette has good steering feel, handling, and just enjoyable to drive compared to a 360, or is the 360 more enjoyable overall?
    Bottom line, can a 2014 Vette be considered a suitable replacement for a 360, or is it not even in the same league as a 360 when it comes to overall driving satisfaction, feel and excitement.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    subscribed. an annoying big mouth in my office just got a 2014 vette and keeps raving how he bought a ferrari for half the price. how's it so much better than any ferrari, etc...

sidenote: he doesn't know i own a 360.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Drive each other's car, then report back with opinions!!!

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The C7 is no Ferrari. I own one. It's a good daily driver and I think it's main competition is the Porsche cayman.

It's advantages are low maintenance, good fuel economy, good creature comfort, good low end torque, really good brakes, and can be had with a manual if you want that sort of thing.

But it's not "special" and still seems like it's made by the same company that makes a Camaro or Cruze.

I like mine but I can't ever see myself saying I love it. It's pretty though and has the modern bells and whistles that not even a 458 has.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Late 90's tech vs 2014 tech. There is no question. Plus the Vette is cheaper to buy and to maintain. I don't own a 360 but a Stingray is in my near future.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think if he paid double he'd be able to get a 2007 F430 spider.

I'm pretty darn sure he would vote for the F car after driving it.

7. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    A bit of an unfair comparison. The 360 is ancient newss in todays terms.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been watching your thread when you picked it up. I think you made references to the 458. Obviously I wouldn't expect Chevy to build a car that is even close to the Ferrari at 1/5 the price, but I would like to hear your opinion on how it compares to a 360. It's a much more fair comparison because the price is much closer, and you are comparing 2000 Ferrari technology to 2014 Chevy technology. I'm not interested in all the technological bells and whistles, I just want to know how the driving satisfaction compares.
    If I handed you the keys to use the car for the day on the street just for joy riding, which keys would you take first?

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I feel like it's fair comparison because they both cost about the same and they are both sports cars (actually I'm more interested in the Z06, but I can't ask about it because it's not out yet). 80k to spend, which is more fun as a toy?

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would take any Ferrari over any Corvette

Formula Uno likes this.
  11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I don't understand the comparison.

Someone looking for a 360 would not be interested in a Vette, and vice versa.

Your talking a mid-engined, high revving, low torque sports car vs front-engined, high torque GT car. Totally different experiences.

A better comparison would be the Ferrari California vs Vette; especially the new turbo Cali. Both are front-engined V8s. The F12 is just too powerful. Maybe a 599 or 612 would be a better proposition. Heck, the 612 with its scallops, kind of looks like a Vette, dare I'd say. :)

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The more fun toy is the 360 if all you care about is weekend joy rides.

The more practical sports car for daily driving is the C7.

They are literally apples and oranges.

I really don't care about ultimate speed much. I care about driving excitement. I bought the C7 because my Maserati spider had run to it's final days. There are a lot of things I like better than the old Maserati and a few I miss. That's the way of the world.

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #13 up4speed, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Not true. I own a 360, and I'm interested in the new Corvette (specifically the Z06), as a matter of fact I'm VERY interested in the Prrsche GT3 as well. They are all very different cars, but they are all fun in their own way. I'm mainly interested in a car that is a fun to drive toy, nothing else.

Thanks! That's mainly the info I was looking for. Now I just have to ask the same question once someone has experience with the Z06 after it comes out.
    I'm pretty sure that I would like the GT3 way more than the 360, but I have to decide if it's worth the price difference. Getting a GT3 and keeping the F car isn't out of the question though. ;)
    I prefer to not have too many cars though. I already have more than I want to maintain.
    This car addiction is a horrible disease!!!!

14. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I am looking at the Z06 as well. I have a feeling they are going to go for quite a bit more than 80k though. 87k is likely a base price.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    2004 Z06 will spank a 2004 360 sideways into the weeds in reverse.

The Ferrari is the nicer car, but you can have more fun in the vette and not worry about an 8k clutch burning out on you.

The 2014 vette is pretty much the same, only more so. Buy what you like and can afford. If 8k for a clutch scares you go with the vette.

16. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    #16 DiabloTerr, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am calling B.S. on the 2004 Z06 being much faster than the 360. Over the summer we had a Z06, 360, Diablo, Viper, etc for comparison. The 360 is faster than the Z06 after 130mph, and the Diablo is MUCH faster than both. I have driven the Stingray, its a Vette, nothing more and nothing less. If you walk into the purchase expecting a Vette than fine, but it is not an exotic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The Vette will cost more to own, only to have a car you see twenty times a day.

18. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Thinking of a three year ownership period, do you really think what you're going to eat in Ferrari maintenance will be eclipsed by depreciation in the Vette? Unless absolutely nothing goes bad in the Fcar, I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong tough.

I should add in I'm thinking of an ownership period where you really DRIVE the car...daily use and maybe a track day or two.

Mark

19. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Two problems here:
    1. My 360 is stick and he's a poor manual transmission driver
    2. Upon knowing I own a Ferrari the entire office would hear about it. Something I'd like to avoid.

One impression is his corvette is cool looking but after seeing it everyday it's starting to look more and more like a radio controlled kit car. GM went a bit overboard on the styling IMO.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not talking top speed my friend. Talking where the race really happens in the real world. Stop light to stop light, or on a roll from 60mph up to 100 mph.

I have been eaten alive by Z06 vettes in both the 360 and 430. It's not even a contest. It comes down to torque and displacement. I'm a pretty good drag racer and overall driver, but you won't beat a 2004 Z06 with a 360 except in top speed.

A 2014 vette will smack a 360 so bad it would be embarrassing, even in top speed.

21. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    You haven't been behind the wheel of a 1967 Stingray with a 427 and side pipes. It's pretty magical.

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Subscribed to follow this thread.

PDG

23. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Yea...for that type of driving might as well get a Porsche or GTR. I am trying to figure out how the hell a stock C5 Z06 is slapping around you in an F430, that makes no sense.

24. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

I would be very interested in your perspective on this. Before I got my 308 I entertained the idea of getting a C2 or early C3 Corvette with a special emphasis on a 1969 with a 427 and side pipes if I could find one. Since that time I have only heard that they drove like big lumbering trucks.

They have a great appeal and especially the C3s.

Care to share your experience??

PDG

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a much closer race in the 430, but it's still a 2nd place finish. They are a fast car. But again they are not a Ferrari.