dead battery, difficult situation | FerrariChat

dead battery, difficult situation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so i went to see the cars and take them out of hibernation this last weekend.
    predictably, some of the batteries were dead. so i put the trickle charger onto those.

then i got to the cs. it is parked in an underground lot near my house. battery was dead. i opened up the cover in the passenger footwell to access the battery. i did not want to jump start it since i fear it might affect the EM system. then i tried to hook up the trickle charger, but all of the power outlets in the garage are dead. so i need to figure out a power source to run the trickle charger. or somebody gives me a better idea.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A battery is $100

How much screwing around do you want to do to save a $100 battery that may not come back from the dead anyway?

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    very good point.

4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    When you are stuck with no way to remove a wheel if necessary, then even still, a $100 battery does the job but you still have to jump it. Do it carefully and do it right. Ground peg, middle positive peg. Worked for me AFAIK. Dang, I could have called IFS to check on my baby again if I didn't get called to another branch. It was sleeting at lunchtime anyway. :(

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Remove the battery and charge it at home? Any spare outlets there? :rolleyes:

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If the battery has sat discharged for a long period of time it is probably toast anyway. Sulfate crystals form on the surface of the plates which makes it difficult to get it to recharge. Some "smart" chargers have the ability to reverse this in some cases, but the battery is likely never 100% again.

7. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    If you're paying a hundred bucks for a battery either it "fell off a truck in New Jersey" or you're buying the wrong battery. Chances are your owners manual recommends an AGM battery, and for good reason.

Plan on spending around two hundred bucks or perhaps a bit more for an AGM type, depending on where you live, to get the proper battery for your car. There's more to selecting the correct battery than physical size and voltage.

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Did you find the cause of the dead outlets?

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    New Battery. What will happen if you use the old dead battery is the Alternator will be working at max output to restore it and then maintain it. So... in as little as a few months you'll then need a new battery as the diodes and bushes are working at full tilt.

I know its pricey with a full stable but I replace my batteries with new ones proactively every 3-4 years or so. It keeps my Alternator happy.

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Did you mean to say "a new alternator"?

11. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Did you try pressing the GFI reset on one of the dead outlets? If one needs to be reset, the whole series will go out.

12. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    another vote for a new battery; only way to go. who needs the hassle and headache of a dicey battery. Very few Ferrari problems can be solved for $ 100.

13. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Lol. That one made me laugh (based on my location)... just this morning I ordered a battery through my old man's buddy who owns a body shop. He gets them for me at cost. $90. :)

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #14 NeuroBeaker, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  15. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I'm pretty sure Ferrari specifies a VRLA battery for your 430, which nearly always means using an AGM type. That's because the battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment and your car is made from aluminum. The Absorbed Gas Mat battery will not vent either acid or dangerous gas under anything other than very unusual circumstances, such as overcharging caused by a failure in the electrical system.

Conventional lead/acid batteries, sometimes vent acid and normally vent explosive gas during normal operations, neither of which you want inside your car. I personally don't want to worry about the contents of my battery eating my car for lunch, but that's just me.

The fact that a battery doesn't have conventional screw-off battery caps does NOT mean that it's an AGM type. Price is actually a pretty good indication with conventional batteries costing roughly a hundred bucks and AGMs up in the two hundred bucks range (or a bit above), depending on location.

If you can get a properly sized AGM battery from your New Jersey "friend", good for you. Does his last name end in a vowel?

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That's what I meant! Thanks Dan. :)

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Get a jump box!

It won't give spikes like jumping, and you'll be good to go... straight to get a replacement, because a battery that flat is most certainly ruined.

You need to maintain your batteries better over the winter.

Cheers,

George

18. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Keep in mind that trickle chargers are not meant to charge a battery from dead. They are designed to "maintain" a fully charged battery.

19. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Amen. A trickle charger or battery tender will do NOTHING for a dead battery.

20. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    How many Fchatters does it take to change a battery? Thank god it's not a light bulb.

21. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That's just horsepuckey - totally depends on the device you have. This unit brought back a completely dead battery in my Quattroporte just a few weeks ago. Hurr durr.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

22. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    You posted a "charger" with 4 separate charge modes.

A battery tender or "trickle" charger is to "maintain" a battery not "charge" it.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #23 G. Pepper, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are incorrect. I have a trickle charger, and when the battery in my Toyota goes flat due to cold weather and short driving distances, I use it to recharge the battery. A tender that goes on and off to keep a battery topped off is a different animal, though some of those have a charger mode/modes too.

Cheers,

George

This is my unit, which I've had for 15 years: It's charged batteries in everything from motorcycles to pickups, to my Ferrari. If you Google, "Schumacher Trickle Charger", this and similar are what you will come up with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I mean what would Rifledriver know about ferrari parts!

Fwiw, I bought the battery my dealer told me to for my CS and IIRC it was around $140 (so not $100, but not a lot more). Dealer even came to my house and installed it (he told me to get the battery at Auto Zone rather than pay dealer prices). Love my service manager!

25. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Try reading my post...that's what I said.