Grundy vs. Hagerty - opinions on both? | FerrariChat

Grundy vs. Hagerty - opinions on both?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dantm, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    I have Hagerty and considering switching to Grundy which would give me a ~20-22% savings.

Can anybody comment on experiences with both? So far I haven't had to do a claim on Hagerty but they have been very good to respond to questions or to issue/set up tows/etc.

Thank you.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I had Hagerty when my Jaguar E-type was stolen while it was at a local repair garage.
    They were really good about processing the claim.
    Once they got the police report, they paid me the full agreed value by check right away.
    I was impressed.

I still have 2 cars insured with them (65 Corvette and 98 550).

Some pics of my stolen E-type here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/british/175415-warm-fall-day-jaguar-e-type.html

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have Hagerty and have had them for 20+ years with different cars. I believe I am going to switch to Grundy or another company, as the rates for the cars I currently have will be much lower - 35% less with Grundy or another. I have never had a claim and have never heard anything bad about Grundy or Hagerty from anyone I personally know.

Some on here have posted bad experiences with both and as I don't really know all the circumstances of the disgruntled person, I tend to not listen. Make sure the policy is for agreed value and understand your coverage and what would lead to a non-covered situation.

4. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Are there mileage limitations with all agreed-upon value policies? State Farm doesn't do agreed, and thinking I might want to switch the 355 and 911 over, but I drive a lot and won't stay under some silly 2500 mile a year/show car allowance.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have Hagerty have never had a claim but have been pretty happy with them when I first got the policy they actually sent someone out to look at my collection since then they have been very accommodating...I will stick with them

6. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    At the end of the day it is a promise to pay. The people that have had their claims paid should be your reference. Lies are very common today.

7. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I have started to look into insuring a Scud that I plan to buy within the next 6-9 months and have also found quite a discrepancy in Hagerty vs Grundy. Hagerty quoted me about 25-30% more than Grundy. There was a stipulation with Grundy that was not required with Hagerty in that Grundy wanted yearly mileage to be no more than 3K. Hagerty placed no such limitation on yearly mileage.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a "loss of value" clause in their policy? I remember reading it on a forum somewhere. It covers you in a situation where there is damage to your car (but not enough to total the car) and covers you on the loss of value that you incur because your car now has a tainted history and is not worth nearly as much (as it was before the damage occurred) when you go and try to sell it.

Maybe I am dreaming of this sort of coverage but I honestly remember seeing somewhere?!

8. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    What are Grundy's requirements on a Ferrari? Any restrictions on vehicle use or mileage allowances? Those are my biggest annoyances with Hagerty.

9. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Checked with my homeowner's insurance complany (Chubb) and they will write the F car into the policy for a third of what Hagerty quoted me and for half of what Grundy quoted me. They also do an agreed value policy and putting the F car on my policy will save me more money on my homeowner's insurance. Just my 2 cents...