Buying first Exotic; Advice needed Ferrari or Lamborghini? | FerrariChat

Buying first Exotic; Advice needed Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meistro, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    I am purchasing my first Exotic and am leaning towards a Lamborghini over a Ferrari. I have given Ferrari a fair shake in this decision and for me, the Lamborghini just looks more exotic, and I love the V10 and V12 with all Lambo models. I do really like the Ferrari and have considered an F430, California or 599 which are all in my price range. I wanted to come here and see if the Ferrari owners can convince me Ferrari is the way to go over a Lamborghini and why?

I was recently able to compare the 458 Italia (not in my price range) side by side with several Lamborghini Gallardos, and despite the higher price, I ended up thinking the Gallardos just have more exotic looks than even the 458 which is my current favorite, but again, not in my price range which is $150K ish. If I could afford 2 exotics I would get both, but I can only afford one exotic at a time. Thanks for helping me.

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sounds like you don't need a word from anyone else. If the Gallardo gives you that "feeling" inside.. get it. The Gallardo owner I knew said his car was rock solid reliable. Get the Gallardo.

3. Cooper

Cooper Karting
    Owner

Feb 25, 2013
    London, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chris Cooper
    really...

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Between 430 & Gallardo, I'd give the edge to the Lambo, but slightly.
    Between 599 & Gallardo, all day to the 599. What colors are you considering?

5. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    Really for a Ferrari it would have to be Red for me, just too much part of the tradition. With a Lamborghini pretty much White or Black only. A red Lamborghini is a little too sacreligeous IMO.

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would drive both the Gallardo and the 430 over some rough roads ( I'm not saying Potholes), also drive if possible both on a small cruise then make your decision. I will venture to say it will not be a Gallardo!
    Docf

7. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    On colors Red only for a Ferrari, White or Black for a Lamborghini. And yes I do need to do a lot more test driving.

8. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Volkswagen Group makes some wonderful cars, the Gallardo being one of the most flashy. It's certainly more eye-catching than it's siblings, the more well known VW Golf or the cute Audi A-1. And VW's (except the air cooled classics) are famous for their reliability. You can't go wrong with a Vee Dub.

But there's something about driving a Ferrari. When you own a Ferrari you know you're driving something from a company which produces nothing but high performance vehicles, except, of course, the current crop of Ferrari F-1 racing cars which are pretty much dogs.

There is an exclusivity associated with Ferrari. The Ferrari brand is appreciated by people both young and old all over the world. On the other hand, owing something from the VW Group isn't quite the same thing.

Of course if you happen to make you living as a pimp, get the Gallardo so you can blend in with the other guys working in the same industry. ;)

9. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    Lamborghini had a long tradition on its own as an exclusive Italian high performance exotic car company long before it was taken over by other manufacturers. Audi is the most recent. They are still hand made in the Lamborghini factory (Ferrari are not all hand made, they use robots). Audi has added some of their engineering to the brand, but only car enthusiests know of the history. Most people can't even get a Lamborghini or Ferrari right when they ask what kind of car is that? And no one but a Ferrari owner would even remotely say or have it cross their mind that, "oh yeah, that Lamborghini is now built by VW."

10. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    I currently have a Bentley GT-C....Bentley is owned by VAG...but the car is built by Bentley. I am planning on pulling the trigger on a Ferrari this year....a car builder which happens to be owned by FIAT. Do those facts bother me? Not in the least! If Ford was successful in acquiring Ferrari from Enzo would you have considered that in purchasing one if the build quality was the same. I venture to say no.

11. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    Good point. LOL So by the other posters logic buying a Ferrari is buying an upperline Fiat :D

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    one question is which one do you like the best
    another question is which one sends the message about yourself that you like the best.

the last question is whether you care.

owning an exotic has a lot of extra baggage. are you ready for it?

13. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Sounds like the cars looks are the priority to him. If that is the case, nothing looks better standing still than a Lamborghini. But nothing is better than being behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #14 up4speed, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Most people ready to buy an exotic have the same question as you.
    I've never driven a Lamborghini Gallardo, but I have a friend that owned both the lambo and Ferrari. A synopsis of their opinion:
    Gallardo is more of an attention getter, a wilder look
    Gallardo has rock solid reliability
    Gallardo is a little faster in the straight line
    Gallardo's exhaust sounds meaner
    Gallardo feels heavier in the turns (possibly caused by AWD) the wheel needs muscling when pushing it hard into corners

430 has a nicer higher tech "Ferrari wail" sound
    430 has a racing heritage
    430 has less of the "hey look at me" factor (of course it still gets an insane amount of attention) - this can be a positive or a negative, depending on your goal.
    430 feels more nimble and connected to the driver, and is more anxious when taking high speed turns. It feels more effortless and "feels" like it handles better.
    430 is easier to drive and feels less bulky.
    430 always put a smile on his face, andmade him giggle when he pushed it hard - I have to admit, I know that feeling as well. It's a wonderful feeling and a reason alone to buy the car!

All that said, he doesn't have either one anymore, and is itching to get another exotic. Surprising enough, the answer still isn't straight forward for him. He definitely likes the Lambo for the "Audi reliability", and likes the Ferrari for the handling feel.

They are both great cars and you can't go wrong with either one, but they are very different machines. If you test drive them both, I think one will jump out at you as the one that you prefer. Pick the one that makes you feel good. Let's face it, these cars are not necessities, they are feel good cars. I never drove a Lambo, but I trust my friends opinion enough that I knew that the Ferrari was the correct car for me. I wanted the more reliable and wild looking Lambo initially, but I ultimately went for the Ferrari for it's superior feel and nimbleness. Feel is the most important aspect of driving for me when I'm enjoying my cars.

15. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    What he says^^^^^^^^

If you want to buy a Ferrari you'll need to back to 1969,that's about when Fiat started taking part in production car interest.....unless,of course you wanted a formula 1 car,Fiat stayed out of that for a bit longer.

16. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    Thanks for the input. I too have a friend with both and owned many, he basically said what you said except he added this, Lambo more reliable and tough as a bull Ferrari tradition but more fragile and high maintenance like the prancing pony.

As for what I like, it's safe to say I like my cars like my women, hot looking, but got a real machine underneath the hood, I.e. has a good personality, and is low maintenance and not a ***** that's going to get upset and break everytime I take her out.

I like the V10 or V12 option only. For that high cost of a car I want an exotic engine, a V8 just doesn't do it for me. I like the 599 but for me the looks aren't quite there compared to the Lambos for me. Yes looks are very important to me just like I can't really get into dating a woman I dont think is really hot that turns me on in some way. And I've never spent $150k on a woman so I'm even more picky in this situation. I do like the Ferrai history and the total amount of models built, and racing legend etc. I also like the Ferrari cockpits better than the Murcy but the Gallardos are about equal. Can't afford an Aventador

17. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Sounds like you want a Lambo. They are great cars, I've never been a fan huge fan of the looks of the 599. Sometimes it is gorgeous, others it seems awkward. I actually prefer the 430 over the 458 looks wise. I do love the Balboni, but I'd still pick the Ferrari.
    See if you can rent a couple cars and drive them, and pick from there. But if you're going looks first and for most, pick the one that makes you smile every time you open the garage.

18. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I say test drive both, buy the one that moves you now, and then in the future get the other. I got my start that way. First the 360 spider, a year ago the Diablo SV

19. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    I would never take a 2004-2008 Gallardo (pre LP560) over an F430. LP560 vs F430, no contest - I'd take the Lambo.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The wisest advice I received from the most knowledgeable Lamborghini guys I came accross was that if you want the full Lambo experience, you skip the Gallardo and buy a V12 car.

So I did....

Ferrari-wise you are comparing apples, oranges, and peaches....go drive a few.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. Sounds like he just wants some affirmation.

Based on my experiences with the Gallardo, its rock solid reliable, but it as stated before doesn't come into its own below 60 MPH. Ferraris tend to handle better, more "nimble" at slower speeds and IMHO tend to feel better in the corners. I would get a Gallardo as a DD. Yes they are that reliable.. but lack that.. how do I say it.. that "SLAP" in the face that a good italian girl will give you if she catches you looking.

22. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    Not necessarily just affirmation. I really am interested in getting opinions from Ferrari owners, which is why I"m here.

23. Meistro

Meistro Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2014
    Well I was originally leaning towards getting a Murcielago for several reasons, the V12, flagship car, the doors, better looking, larger etc., but when I actually sat in the Murcy I was fairly disappointed with the cockpit and the seats etc. The G was much more comfortable and I like the idea of the high reliability factor. A V10 to me is still very exotic, and I like the idea of having a V10 as much as a V12. I think where I"m at a G makes the most sense for me where I"m at. But most guys buy, sell, buy, sell, so I will probably just start out with a G and may sell it down the road for a V12 or Ferrari or what ever the case may be.

24. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    Wait until your first servicing and how you're treated by each dealership; there will be a complete difference in how the two companies treat you.

Lamborghini is known for stepping up and doing the right thing, putting the customer at the pinnacle of service while Ferrari prepares to gouge you, trump up charges and fabricate needs for more work at outrageous prices.

Then look at the build quality - Ferrari could design exhaust manifolds well, but why do that when their service department can gouge you on charges trickling in profit for years?
    Ferrari's bedside manner is atrocious, divorce will be looming.

25. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Not sure why you "need advice". You're the one purchasing the car, not anyone who responds, so buy what you like.
    I don't understand why anyone posts questions like this without actually having driven the cars they're considering??? (this isn't like mail ordering a new computer where you buy it based on reviews, etc.; this is a car that you can go test drive or rent for the day, etc.) If you haven't, this is just a hypothetical...fantasy.
    That being said, buy what you like and all the other things such as service costs, how the dealership treats you, etc., is just the price to play the way you want to play...no big deal.